Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ever not bother to post here?

cigarjoe

I love TCM, even if there is nothing on that I'm interested in I'll usually just have it on while online, using the TV like we used to use the radio. If something interesting comes on I'll pay attention

I like all movies from silents to occasionally a current film, but at times I'm reluctant to post on TCM Message Boards because you get the feeling that its kind of like a closed shop in that the majority of the community here either don't care for anything outside the TCM "box", are living in a safe fantasy world of past that the majority of TCM's content preserves wonderfully for us, or absolutely hate any post code films.

You post something that's off the reservation and sometimes all hell breaks loose.  :D 

Go to Film General on IMDb and nobody responds to any thing pre 2000s, just to opposite, lol.

Some reactions from some members are downright reactionary like they were defending Mom, apple pie and the American Way.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

I love TCM, even if there is nothing on that I'm interested in I'll usually just have it on while online, using the TV like we used to use the radio. If something interesting comes on I'll pay attention

I like all movies from silents to occasionally a current film, but at times I'm reluctant to post on TCM Message Boards because you get the feeling that its kind of like a closed shop in that the majority of the community here either don't care for anything outside the TCM "box", are living in a safe fantasy world of past that the majority of TCM's content preserves wonderfully for us, or absolutely hate any post code films.

You post something that's off the reservation and sometimes all hell breaks loose.  :D 

Go to Film General on IMDb and nobody responds to any thing pre 2000s, just to opposite, lol.

Some reactions from some members are downright reactionary like they were defending Mom, apple pie and the American Way.

Thoughts?

Guess it depends on the subject.  Certain actors gets people all stirred up. Anything political is bound to be sent to the great beyond by the administrator.

This might be a little off topic but last night I had a bad experience on Ebay, tried to inform someone about a possible issue with the power supply of an item and got the most rude reply ever.  Oh well try to be nice....never doing that again, EVER!

I used to post quite often under my previous user name. Now I feel less than welcome.

darkblue: I welcome you. Very much. Most of us do.

Totally agree with darkblue's sentiments. Very well said Darkblue!!!

Well for one thing Helen, we all miss your contributions. I think we also know of your past battles with certain posters here. But guess what? That will probably never change. There will always be a somewhat vocal and yet small group of posters who feel it is their duti to fend off anbody that has an opposing viewpoint than their own.

I say please come back here full throtle and post what you want to post.

That is why some of us are still here. And I like many others enjoy the way the messge boards were redesigned and how they wotk now as opposed to what it was like this time last year.

• Like 2

Thoughts?

You know you do bring up some interesting points about what actually does go on around here. Especially the part about having TCM playing in the background like a radio and then turning around to watch something. I used to do that when we had TCM.

As far as what you have written about being reluctant to write on the boards my suggestion is this:

If you feel threatened or afraid of writing something because you feel people judge you harshly and then let you have it, but you still want to post here my suggestion would be to visit some of the other forums located here and post there. The Your Favorites forum has many different genre threads and other threads just waiting to hear from you. This forum has over the years been the scene of many knock-down, throw them under the bus type of conversations that at time can resemble a war zone.

My suggestion then is to stay but visit other areas. Much, much less arguing goes on there. Please give it a try. And don't get too discouraged. You and Helen have many friends here who would be disappointed if you stopped writing.

Well, Joe, what you describe is the same thing I've noticed about most "topic specific" FARCEbook pages(  I've taken to calling facebook "farcebook" or "fakebook" because I've never seen a larger collection of phonies anywhere ELSE on the internet!).

Yeah, you might get "flamed" here from time to time about certain things...like there are some who think ANY movie made AFTER 1960 aren't worth the bother OR should be considered "classic".  There are many who have hugely negative feelings about actors and/or actresses whom EVERYbody seems to ADORE.

It's a wide variety of personalities in here, so jump right in.  Some might make you feel that the concept of "everyone has a right to their OWN opinion" is one THEY think is STUPID, but most of us are pretty tolerant of different viewpoints. 

I guess it all depends on how it's stated.  For instance, if you have an opposing viewpoint, but post it in a condescending manner, it WILL rub most of us, even some who AGREE with it, the wrong way!

And I usually DON'T bother to post if....I can't think of a way to post my thoughts in a way that makes much sense to anybody else, or without sounding snarky or patronizing.  And sometimes THAT doesn't stop me, and I look like a first class PUTZ!

Sepiatone

Not sure I understand what this thread is supposed to accomplish...

This is an interesting comment.

Obviously CigarJoe feels that at times he feels threatened to come on here and post his thoughts about movies and or anything else he would like to post, but feels that he can at times gets slammed or even flamed whenever someone does not like what he writes.

And anyway, why does it matter to you that he wanted to post something here he feels strong enough to post about in the first place? Nothing has ever stopped you from creating threads that to some of us mean absolutely nothing to accomplish...

Right?

• Like 2

I used to post quite often under my previous user name. Now I feel less than welcome.

You are not unwelcome, some posters are new here,  may not know you had an original username and were popular on the TCM forum. :)  Many old timers are glad you stayed.   :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To new members...the website had a serious upgrade recently and many of the old members couldn't sign back on because of technical issues and had to change their usernames.

cigarjoe, just curious, did you had an old username?

EVER NOT BOTHER TO POST HERE?

A very great deal of the time. I come here everyday - usually several times a day. Mostly I read - and I often will feel a compulsion to say something about what I've read. Most of the time, though - I don't.

The very last thing I'd want to do is bore anyone, and that's probably the main reason I don't give in to every compulsion.

As well, I've found that those who have the most to say are always the least interesting people on the boards. To me.

I favor brevity. The practice of it tends to make one's points sharper (in my opinion).

• Like 4

I favor brevity. The practice of it tends to make one's points sharper (in my opinion).

Great line spoken by Mae West to Harold Huber in Klondike Annie: "You never can say anything the short way, can you?"

I sometimes want to use that as a response to long-winded posts here, including sometimes my own!

The short answer here, CJ...nope, I never, okay, ALMOST never feel this way, 'cause if I want to say somethin' in response to somethin' somebody else has said, I usually will.

(...but then again of course, I think most of the folks around here by now know well of my apparent inabilities in the field of "self-editing", doncha folks?!) ;)

LOL 

You know you do bring up some interesting points about what actually does go on around here. Especially the part about having TCM playing in the background like a radio and then turning around to watch something. I used to do that when we had TCM.

As far as what you have written about being reluctant to write on the boards my suggestion is this:

If you feel threatened or afraid of writing something because you feel people judge you harshly and then let you have it, but you still want to post here my suggestion would be to visit some of the other forums located here and post there. The Your Favorites forum has many different genre threads and other threads just waiting to hear from you. This forum has over the years been the scene of many knock-down, throw them under the bus type of conversations that at time can resemble a war zone.

My suggestion then is to stay but visit other areas. Much, much less arguing goes on there. Please give it a try. And don't get too discouraged. You and Helen have many friends here who would be disappointed if you stopped writing.

Good advice, but why does Helenbaby have to do that? Any poster should be able to post anything they want, within the moderator's rules, whenever they want. 

Simply because one poster has decided to banish certain threads and all the posts therein to other forums is no reason to withdraw from posting and is unacceptable behavior.

BTW, has anybody contacted the moderator on this poster? Bullying is outlawed in the rest of the country, why not here?

This is an interesting comment.

Obviously CigarJoe feels that at times he feels threatened to come on here and post his thoughts about movies and or anything else he would like to post, but feels that he can at times gets slammed or even flamed whenever someone does not like what he writes.

And anyway, why does it matter to you that he wanted to post something here he feels strong enough to post about in the first place? Nothing has ever stopped you from creating threads that to some of us mean absolutely nothing to accomplish...

Right?

Nothing has ever stopped you from creating threads that to some of us mean absolutely nothing to accomplish...

Not until recently, no. Has anyone reported this bullying activity to the moderators?

A very great deal of the time. I come here everyday - usually several times a day. Mostly I read - and I often will feel a compulsion to say something about what I've read. Most of the time, though - I don't.

The very last thing I'd want to do is bore anyone, and that's probably the main reason I don't give in to every compulsion.

As well, I've found that those who have the most to say are always the least interesting people on the boards. To me.

I don't favor brevity anymore, but I do favor everyone's right to not have one poster dictate their behavior.

The short answer here, CJ...nope, I never, okay, ALMOST never feel this way, 'cause if I want to say somethin' in response to somethin' somebody else has said, I usually will.

(...but then again of course, I think most of the folks around here by now know well of my apparent inabilities in the field of "self-editing", doncha folks?!) ;)

LOL 

Self-editing is no longer important to me - obviously - but at some point I took your jokes personally.

Heaven or the other place knows, I'll never be doing that again! :D  :P  :lol:

• Like 1

LOL 

What started the fuss is that thread were moved from General Discussion to other sub-forums.    Note that this was done by the moderator.

While I believe that it wasn't necessary for someone to complain about this and ask the moderator for them to be moved,  to me, these topics did 'belong' more in their revised resting place then in General Discussions.  

Anyhow,  the moderator must of agreed since he\she moved the threads.   One can still access them so I don't see the reason for the post fuss about it (OR if one is going to make a fuss do it once and move on).   But when there is a conflict between two or more people that must get in the last word,   well, it goes on and on and on.   

NOW DARGO:   You your wit to get things back on track.  That is an order my friend.  

What started the fuss is that thread were moved from General Discussion to other sub-forums.    Note that this was done by the moderator.

While I believe that it wasn't necessary for someone to complain about this and ask the moderator for them to be moved,  to me, these topics did 'belong' more in their revised resting place then in General Discussions.  

Anyhow,  the moderator must of agreed since he\she moved the threads.   One can still access them so I don't see the reason for the post fuss about it (OR if one is going to make a fuss do it once and move on).   But when there is a conflict between two or more people that must get in the last word,   well, it goes on and on and on.   

NOW DARGO:   You your wit to get things back on track.  That is an order my friend.  

At the direct orders of a SINGLE poster, and not from any consensus by the MAJORITY.

Surely you were witness to all of that, weren't you james? The rest of us were.

One can still access them so I don't see the reason for the post fuss about it 

Really? Did you never read "...and then they came for me"?

Hey, internet message boards are like high school-full of nerds, bullies, the smart aleck, etc. We all find our way....and for those who want to simply avoid those they do not like can find other "rooms" like the sub forums. I certainly prefer the sub forums, but whenever I look over there, discussions are replaced by vanity threads-those where the same person posts lists or photos with no real dialogue.

I appreciate all who tolerate my social ineptitude. It's one of the reasons I like the internet-I don't have to be social if I'm not up to it. But I definitely feel kind of sad when my comment kills a thread. Often when my comment is misunderstood, it's an opportunity for me to become a better writer.

It always upsets me to see a poster jump down another poster's throat. (just like high school) I'm saddened to learn HelenBaby doesn't feel welcome. I liked your posts HelenBaby, you contributed positively to these boards.

At the direct orders of a SINGLE poster, and not from any consensus by the MAJORITY.

Surely you were witness to all of that, weren't you james? The rest of us were.

One can still access them so I don't see the reason for the post fuss about it 

Really? Did you never read "...and then they came for me"?

Sorry, but I do NOT agree with you.   The poster made a REQUEST,  and NOT an ORDER.    If you feel the moderator should have asked the group (got a consensus by the majority),  take that up with the moderator.    One can't fault the people that made the request for what the moderator does. 

As for your last sentence;  All I see is paranoia here.  BUT again,  if you feel this way take it up with the moderator.  He\she is removing post,  moving threads, etc....  i.e. do something contructive;   work with the moderator.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings