Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

March 2015 Schedule is Up

Barton_Keyes

Thanks, Barton. This looks like a really good month. I was curious how this was going to look, considering how many modern movies have been making it on to the newest schedules, but this one has a lot of good oldies that I'm looking forward to.

My lists so far... (they may change over time)

Pros:

Batman serial on Saturdays (Though I never catch their morning features anyway, so I don't know why I should care.)

7th: Orpheus (1949)

17th: Odd Man Out (1947)

18th: Robert Donat's Birthday, including Knight Without Armour (1937)

24th: More Hammer Noir

26th: The In-Laws (1979) !!

31st: Louis Malle

Cons:

Fri. Night Spotlight looks like a drag

15th: Another Silent/Import night overruled for Disney stuff (would be fine if it wasn't on Sunday)

Still no return of the canceled The Mysterious Island (1929)

26th: Alan Arkin day doesn't include The In-Laws (1979)

Actually, THE IN-LAWS is the first film on that evening's lineup. Also scheduled are THE HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER (1968), WAIT UNTIL DARK (1967 (Good film, but overplayed in my opinion)), and HEARTS OF THE WEST (1975)

Actually, THE IN-LAWS is the first film on that evening's lineup. Also scheduled are THE HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER (1968), WAIT UNTIL DARK (1967 (Good film, but overplayed in my opinion)), and HEARTS OF THE WEST (1975)

Thanks for filling in the gaps in my brain. I'll change that from a Con to a Pro right now.

Does March begin the new season for The Essentials?

Yes, the new season begins on Saturday, March 7 with ROMAN HOLIDAY (1953). Subsequent films include A TALE OF TWO CITIES (1935) on March 14, NOW VOYAGER (1942) on March 21 and THE PRISONER OF ZENDA (1937) on March 28. No word yet on who the co-host will be.

Four Carry On premieres in March, including the sublimely ridiculous Carry On Cleo, very sensibly programmed for March 14, the eve of the Ides of March! (Hats off to a particularly savvy programmer).

This film has one of the great lines, uttered by Caesar as he's about to be assassinated: 

"Infamy, infamy! They've all got it infamy!"

• Like 1

15th: Another Silent/Import night overruled for Disney stuff (would be fine if it wasn't on Sunday)

I'm not enthusiastic about Disney movies replacing silent and foreign film night, but The Three Caballeros is the closest TCM is going to have to having a great Disney animated film.

• Like 1

Four Carry On premieres in March, including the sublimely ridiculous Carry On Cleo, very sensibly programmed for March 14, the eve of the Ides of March! (Hats off to a particularly savvy programmer).

This film has one of the great lines, uttered by Caesar as he's about to be assassinated: 

"Infamy, infamy! They've all got it infamy!"

• Like 1

The Friday night theme of Roadshow Musicals is probably in connection with the excellent new book Roadshow!, which follows the harrowing story of the studios' attempts to create another Sound of Music.

I'd also like to note some less familiar films on the schedule:

3/4 - Trade Winds is a charming film with both mystery and comedy elements.

3/5 - The Seventh Victim and Tender Comrade are both worth seeing, and I hope that A Matter of Life and Death is being shown in the gorgeous new restoration shown at the TCM film festival.

3/7 - Jean Cocteau's Orpheus is really imaginative, even for those who ordinarily don't like foreign films.

3/8 - I missed Grey Gardens when it was previously shown and am also looking forward to Agnes Varda's Le Bonheur.

3/10 - I've never seen the Irene Dunne film Symphony of Six Million.

3/12 - Four different looks at the story of General Custer and Sitting Bull.

3/13 - Connoisseurs of camp will not want to miss A Lion Is in the Streets, especially the scene where the swamp gal Flamingo (Anne Francis) tries to feed Barbara Hale to the alligators.

3/14 - Stanley Kubrick's early film Killer's Kiss is really well directed and photographed.

3/16 - Milos Forman's The Fireman's Ball was a popular comedy on art house circuits in the 1960s.

The Wages of Fear is another of those foreign films that may appeal to those who don't ordinarily like to read subtitles. Once the trucks carrying nitroglycerine start on their journey over dangerous roads, the suspense is almost unbearable.

3/17 - A good St. Patrick's Day lineup. Odd Man Out hasn't been on TCM in a while.

3/20 - The morning lineup features films which include the name of roads in their titles. I missed Highway 301 when it was recently shown and am happy to see it here. St. Martin's Lane (aka Sidewalks of London) brought Vivien Leigh to the attention of David O. Selznick's people. Charles Laughton is awfully good, too.

3/22 - Alf Sjoberg was one of the forerunners of Ingmar Bergman, and Torment and Miss Julie were two of his best-known films. I look forward to seeing them. Don't expect many laughs.

3/23 - Speaking of camp, there's Torch Song, with Joan Crawford in blackface for one scene's that's unforgettable, no matter how hard you try.

3/24 - Primetime features British noir from Hammer. Pulp is a little-known but funny 1972 satire of the genre, with Michael Caine and Mickey Rooney. Quirky and weird, but some will like it.

3/25 - Blood on the Moon is a good noirish western which Robert Mitchum fans won't want to miss.

3/29 - A tribute to Vicki Baum, author of Grand Hotel. Hotel Berlin is like a variation of the original, but set in Berlin in the last days of WWII, as some of the Nazis are looking for exit strategies. Not well-known but quite good, with Faye Emerson, Andrea King, Raymond Massey, and Helmut Dantine heading the cast. Later that night, Simon of the Desert is one of my favorite Luis Bunuel films, and it's only 45 minutes long.

3/31 - I'm a fan of Broadcast News. Holly Hunter has a thick Southern accent, and she's the smartest person in the room. As far as I know, that had never happened on film before.

I am happy to hear about the SOTM selection.  I honestly only know of Ann Sothern through her appearance as Lucy's friend Susie McNamara in the first episode of The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour.  I had no idea she was so prolific in film.  I look forward to getting to see more of her work.  I really liked her appearance in LDCH and she had a good rapport with Lucy.

I just got a chance to look through the schedule and these are what pique my interest:

MARCH 4

The Brain That Wouldn't Die- The synopsis sounds oddly fascinating: "A scientist keeps his wife's severed head alive until he can find a new body for her."

Trade Winds- This would be interesting to watch.  I've heard the Lux Radio Theater show with Errol Flynn in the Fredric March role.

MARCH 7

A Face in the Crowd.  I've seen this movie once and have been wanting to see it again.  I keep missing it every time it has been rescheduled.

Doctor Strangelove... I've never seen this film and have always been interested to.

Tentacles- Sounds amazing

MARCH 8

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir- I missed the premiere and it's unfortunately off of Netflix Instant Queue now. I was just introduced to Gene Tierney and would like to see more of her work.

MARCH 10

Our Miss Brooks- I like Eve Arden and Gale Gordon and have heard about the television show, but have never seen the film.

A Place in the Sun, I know this airs often, but I've never seen it.  Montgomery Clift is one of my favorites and I'm always a sucker for intense romantic films.

MARCH 12

The Hustler.  I like Paul Newman and I'm only familiar with Jackie Gleason's appearance in my favorite Smokey and the Bandit.  I've heard that this was an excellent film for both Newman and Gleason. 

MARCH 14

The Big Clock.  I read the synopsis of this and it sounded good.  I've seen Ray Milland in The Lost Weekend and Dial M for Murder and really liked him. 

In Cold Blood.  I've never seen this.  I feel like I should read the book first.

MARCH 15

The Ambassador's Daughter. Olivia de Havilland and Myrna Loy? Sold. The addition of John Forsythe sounds interesting too, since I only know him from Dynasty and Charlie's Angels

Magnificent ObsessionLove me a melodrama.

The Three Cabelleros.  I already have this movie, but I love The Three Cabelleros!!

MARCH 18

Lady Be Good.  I love musicals and I haven't seen an Eleanor Powell film.  I am also about tap dancing movies.

MARCH 19

Words and Music.  I really want to see this for the Gene Kelly/Vera-Ellen routine.

The Attack of the Puppet People.  I love the movie poster.  That is a good enough excuse I think.

MARCH 22

Marty.  I started watching this the last time it was on and wasn't able to finish it.  It looked pretty good.

Irma La Douce.  I like Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine and Billy Wilder.  I haven't seen this one yet.

MARCH 23

Torch Song.  I've heard that this is so awful I have to see it.

Mildred Pierce.  I had this recorded and lost it when we switched our DVR.  I've been wanting to see it.

Flamingo Road.  I missed this one the last time around too.

*Oddly enough, I'm not a fan of Joan Crawford, but I see that I want to see a lot of the films included as part of her birthday tribute.

MARCH 25

A Girl, A Guy and A Gob.  A Lucille Ball movie I haven't seen.

The Blue Gardenia.  Ann Sothern, Anne Baxter, and a film noir? Yes please.

MARCH 26

Is The Case of the Curious Bride worth it to watch to see my beloved Errol as a corpse? He is probably the prettiest corpse in all of film.

MARCH 30

While the City Sleeps, a film noir with Dana Andrews and George Sanders? I'm a fan of Sanders and really like Andrews' noir work.

I'm especially interested in the Maisie films.  I've heard of them and haven't seen any.  I'm also intrigued by the Batman films.  My husband is a Batman fan and is also interested.  We didn't know there were Batman films from the 40s. 

Love the Roadshow Musicals Friday Night Spotlight.  I do love me some musicals!

I'm sure I'll end up recording more, but that's what caught my eye on first glance.

• Like 1

MARCH 4

The Brain That Wouldn't Die- The synopsis sounds oddly fascinating: "A scientist keeps his wife's severed head alive until he can find a new body for her."

The Brain That Wouldn't Die is one of the craziest films ever!  I don't want to spoil anything, but when the thing in the closet attacks the lab assistant, the death scene is priceless! The film is one of the great lowbrow guilty pleasures.

• Like 1

Thanks so much Kay! I noticed when I clicked on the link in the OP, it was just for the first week. March looks like it will be a great month on TCM.

The Brain That Wouldn't Die is one of the craziest films ever!  I don't want to spoil anything, but when the thing in the closet attacks the lab assistant, the death scene is priceless! The film is one of the great lowbrow guilty pleasures.

Watching that one in the theatre at 12 years old made me feel dirty.

Sleazy, sleazy movie - I love it!

aka "Jan in the Pan!" LOVE IT!!!   I hope it will be the unedited version........

I am happy to hear about the SOTM selection.  I honestly only know of Ann Sothern through her appearance as Lucy's friend Susie McNamara in the first episode of The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour.  I had no idea she was so prolific in film.  I look forward to getting to see more of her work.  I really liked her appearance in LDCH and she had a good rapport with Lucy.

I just got a chance to look through the schedule and these are what pique my interest:

MARCH 4

Trade Winds- This would be interesting to watch.  I've heard the Lux Radio Theater show with Errol Flynn in the Fredric March role.

MARCH 7

A Face in the Crowd.  I've seen this movie once and have been wanting to see it again.  I keep missing it every time it has been rescheduled.

Doctor Strangelove... I've never seen this film and have always been interested to.

Tentacles- Sounds amazing

MARCH 8

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir- I missed the premiere and it's unfortunately off of Netflix Instant Queue now. I was just introduced to Gene Tierney and would like to see more of her work.

MARCH 10

Our Miss Brooks- I like Eve Arden and Gale Gordon and have heard about the television show, but have never seen the film.

A Place in the Sun, I know this airs often, but I've never seen it.  Montgomery Clift is one of my favorites and I'm always a sucker for intense romantic films.

MARCH 12

The Hustler.  I like Paul Newman and I'm only familiar with Jackie Gleason's appearance in my favorite Smokey and the Bandit.  I've heard that this was an excellent film for both Newman and Gleason. 

MARCH 14

The Big Clock.  I read the synopsis of this and it sounded good.  I've seen Ray Milland in The Lost Weekend and Dial M for Murder and really liked him. 

In Cold Blood.  I've never seen this.  I feel like I should read the book first.

MARCH 15

The Ambassador's Daughter. Olivia de Havilland and Myrna Loy? Sold. The addition of John Forsythe sounds interesting too, since I only know him from Dynasty and Charlie's Angels

Magnificent ObsessionLove me a melodrama.

The Three Cabelleros.  I already have this movie, but I love The Three Cabelleros!!

MARCH 18

Lady Be Good.  I love musicals and I haven't seen an Eleanor Powell film.  I am also about tap dancing movies.

MARCH 19

Words and Music.  I really want to see this for the Gene Kelly/Vera-Ellen routine.

The Attack of the Puppet People.  I love the movie poster.  That is a good enough excuse I think.

MARCH 22

Marty.  I started watching this the last time it was on and wasn't able to finish it.  It looked pretty good.

Irma La Douce.  I like Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine and Billy Wilder.  I haven't seen this one yet.

MARCH 23

Torch Song.  I've heard that this is so awful I have to see it.

Mildred Pierce.  I had this recorded and lost it when we switched our DVR.  I've been wanting to see it.

Flamingo Road.  I missed this one the last time around too.

*Oddly enough, I'm not a fan of Joan Crawford, but I see that I want to see a lot of the films included as part of her birthday tribute.

MARCH 25

A Girl, A Guy and A Gob.  A Lucille Ball movie I haven't seen.

The Blue Gardenia.  Ann Sothern, Anne Baxter, and a film noir? Yes please.

MARCH 26

Is The Case of the Curious Bride worth it to watch to see my beloved Errol as a corpse? He is probably the prettiest corpse in all of film.

MARCH 30

While the City Sleeps, a film noir with Dana Andrews and George Sanders? I'm a fan of Sanders and really like Andrews' noir work.

I'm especially interested in the Maisie films.  I've heard of them and haven't seen any.  I'm also intrigued by the Batman films.  My husband is a Batman fan and is also interested.  We didn't know there were Batman films from the 40s. 

Love the Roadshow Musicals Friday Night Spotlight.  I do love me some musicals!

I'm sure I'll end up recording more, but that's what caught my eye on first glance.

Ann also made a multi episode appearance on The Lucy Show in the 60's playing a broke countess-former friend of Lucy's....

Ann also made a multi episode appearance on The Lucy Show in the 60's playing a broke countess-former friend of Lucy's....

Yes, I used to watch THE LUCY SHOW on Nick at Nite (or maybe it was TVLand).

The "Countess" was an old high friend of Lucy's that had married a count and was either widowed or divorced (I think widowed).

Mr. Mooney thought she had money but in fact she was broke. He was always ingratiating  himself toward her.

In many ways I liked THE LUCY SHOW better than I LOVE LUCY.

Yes, I used to watch THE LUCY SHOW on Nick at Nite (or maybe it was TVLand).

The "Countess" was an old high friend of Lucy's that had married a count and was either widowed or divorced (I think widowed).

Mr. Mooney thought she had money but in fact she was broke. He was always ingratiating  himself toward her.

In many ways I liked THE LUCY SHOW better than I LOVE LUCY.

Yes. I think she was on at least a half dozen episodes one season..........

I've always enjoyed this description of The Brain that Wouldn't Die, from the book Videohound's Horror Show:

"After a painfully slow, uneventful introduction and an off-camera car crash, a mad scientist (Herb Evers) keeps his decapitated fiancee Janey's (Virginia Leith) head alive on a tray in his lab. He tenderly advises the noggin, "Sleep, my darling, rest and grow stronger," and then sets out to strip clubs and modeling agencies to find a suitable body for reattachment. Yes, this mad scientist is a lounge lizard! Janey, meanwhile, has gone a little nutso -- and who could blame her? -- psychically contacting the creature who lives in the lab closet. But the film really belongs to Leslie Daniel as the henchman Kurt. He and Janey engage in such long philosophical conversations, you'd think they're Vladimir and Estragon waiting for Godot, not the closet creature. None of that -- bizarre as it is -- can prepare the viewer for Kurt's death. It is a full 2 minutes and 45 seconds of rabid, unfettered scenery chewing which must be seen to be appreciated."

The film will be on TCM on March 4.

• 3 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings