Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dargo

Which studio era lead actors/actresses do you think "aged well" physically, and who do you think didn't.

Some of it is due to gene's but let's face it, MANY pay to keep a youthful appearance, even when they don't admit it. Being vain is one reason but also many in hollywood feel they are forced to keep wrinkles at bay for their career.

Those like Redford for example have clearly decided to just let nature take it's course. I don't find it gross, it's how it was before the age of plastic surgery and botox. My great grandmother had some deep lines and told me once that they told a story of her life, I loved her stories and her. She was in her 90's when she died. I feel her wrinkles were part of her. I feel like she did and have no desire to look 40 when I'm 70 but that's just me.

Illness is another factor, that can age you quicker.

I think society is losing it's tolerance of people aging and many other things.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/09/meredith-baxter-plastic-surgery_n_6290942.html

• Like 1

(...AND let us ALSO not forget here that YES INDEED, very often it IS someone's OWN "fault" and NOT always "just the luck of the draw" that they "didn't age very well", as the LIFESTYLE of many of the actors and actresses mentioned within this thread, such as Errol Flynn and Bill Holden as just two examples, contributed MIGHTILY to not ONLY their "not aging well" but ALSO to their MUCH too early demises, and something which would deny to us their fans possibly many MORE years of seeing their great talent exhibited upon the Silver Screen, and had they NATURALLY "aged well" or not!) 

Yes, it is always tempting to point out someone's weakness of mind and how that weakness drove them to destroy their bodies, but we have no idea what kind of mental quagmires they were suffering from that caused them to destroy their looks and their lives. Is it our responsibility to play judge and jury? Who are we to judge anyone. "There, but for the grace of GOD go I" after all. Maybe the smart ones were stars like Deanna Durbin who left at the height of their popularity and remained hidden, out of the spotlight, so they wouldn't disappoint their very judgemental fans with the passage of time and the ravages of that time on their looks.     

Yes, it is always tempting to point out someone's weakness of mind and how that weakness drove them to destroy their bodies, but we have no idea what kind of mental quagmires they were suffering from that caused them to destroy their looks and their lives. Is it our responsibility to play judge and jury? Who are we to judge anyone. "There, but for the grace of GOD go I" after all. Maybe the smart ones were stars like Deanna Durbin who left at the height of their popularity and remained hidden, out of the spotlight, so they wouldn't disappoint their very judgemental fans with the passage of time and the ravages of that time on their looks.     

Man! And here I thought I WAS a "bleeding heart"!!! (sorry infinite...couldn't resist)

So, let me get this straight here. Because some "star" OR for THAT matter ANYONE in this world never learned a little(OR a lot of) "self-worth" OR that it's what's INSIDE that makes a person admirable and whether or NOT they're PHYSICALLY attractive" AND whether or NOT they possess or possessed some so-called "talent", and because possibly in their past "Mommy and/or Daddy never loved them enough to TEACH 'em that kind'a thing" and thus possibly they had a "terrible childhood", THIS makes anyone who MIGHT point THIS out to someone as "rude" and insensitive", EH?!

Well then, seein' as how I occasionally do just THAT, I suppose I'm a "rude" and "insensitive" person then...THOUGH, I've always preferred to call THIS sort'a thing "BEING OBJECTIVE" and "taking the emotions out of the equation", AND which I remind you, is something Historians have done for centuries in efforts to understand why famous people led the lives they did...they "judge" by analysis what they think might have caused said "famous people" to act as they did.

(...and specifically in regard to little Deanna...ain't it a shame she never leaned to think for herself and not place THAT much worth on what other people such as some of her fans might have thought about her growing older, 'cause who knows, MAYBE there'd be a WHOLE lot more of her movies made for all the fans such as yourself who WOULDN'T have cared HOW many wrinkles she'd had gotten on her cute little face!!!)

Remember how David Hemmings looked so rock and roll in the 60's? Skinny, mod, cool looking.

It didn't take long at all until he became pudgy, broad-faced and old.

I watch Richard Bradford in 'The Chase' and marvel at his youthful look - thin, sexy, curly haired handsome. Not too much later - broad street, just like Hemmings.

I guess it'd be called "filling out" here in the regular world.

Remember how David Hemmings looked so rock and roll in the 60's? Skinny, mod, cool looking.

Yeah, I guess. BUT, if you might be talkin' about him in "Blowup", all I remember of him in THAT one was watchin' him stumble around in one of THE most overrated movies ever made! LOL

Yeah, I guess. BUT, if you might be talkin' about him in "Blowup", all I remember of him in THAT one was watchin' him stumble around in one of THE most overrated movies ever made! LOL

Really? You don't remember what he looked like? How about 'Camelot'? He was in that too.

Really? You don't remember what he looked like? How about 'Camelot'? He was in that too.

Nah, I was just kiddin' and sayin' that just to get that little shot in at Antonioni's so-called "masterpiece".

Yeah, I know what David Hemmings looks like, or at least looked like, anyway. In fact, I remember a commercial for a particular sunglasses company that ran on TV and I think also print ads when he was a hot commodity and with the tagline, "Is that David Hemmings behind those Foster Grants?"

(...remember THAT?)

Nah, I was just kiddin' and sayin' that just to get that little shot in at Antonioni's so-called "masterpiece".

Yep. I gotta admit I'd rather watch 'Zabriskie Point' than 'Blow Up'.

But anyway, he didn't stay skinny for long. And neither did Richard Bradford.

Man! And here I thought I WAS a "bleeding heart"!!! (sorry infinite...couldn't resist)

So, let me get this straight here. Because some "star" OR for THAT matter ANYONE in this world never learned a little(OR a lot of) "self-worth" OR that it's what's INSIDE that makes a person admirable and whether or NOT they're PHYSICALLY attractive" AND whether or NOT they possess or possessed some so-called "talent", and because possibly in their past "Mommy and/or Daddy never loved them enough to TEACH 'em that kind'a thing" and thus possibly they had a "terrible childhood", THIS makes anyone who MIGHT point THIS out to someone as "rude" and insensitive", EH?!

Well then, seein' as how I occasionally do just THAT, I suppose I'm a "rude" and "insensitive" person then...THOUGH, I've always preferred to call THIS sort'a thing "BEING OBJECTIVE" and "taking the emotions out of the equation", AND which I remind you, is something Historians have done for centuries in efforts to understand why famous people led the lives they did...they "judge" by analysis what they think might have caused said "famous people" to act as they did.

(...and specifically in regard to little Deanna...ain't it a shame she never leaned to think for herself and not place THAT much worth on what other people such as some of her fans might have thought about her growing older, 'cause who knows, MAYBE there'd be a WHOLE lot more of her movies made for all the fans such as yourself who WOULDN'T have cared HOW many wrinkles she'd had gotten on her cute little face!!!)

No. Absolutely, positively not.

Not in New Yawk, at least.

Glad I am a New Yawker. REALLY glad I am a New Yawker. B) 

SO very really glad I don't live wherever the above might be true. :blink: 

Got up earlier than usual and happened on this thread. I'm reading the last few posts just can't understand them. Maybe it's cause it's too early, but I don't get all that New York ("New Yawk") stuff, Primo. And the promiscuous use of  emoticons always confuses my simple self. Can someone sum up that last few posts in a few words and tell me what it's all about (Alfie)?

Got up earlier than usual and happened on this thread. I'm reading the last few posts just can't understand them. Maybe it's cause it's too early, but I don't get all that New York ("New Yawk") stuff, Primo. And the promiscuous use of  emoticons always confuses my simple self. Can someone sum up that last few posts in a few words and tell me what it's all about (Alfie)?

Let's see - Dargo said this in response to infinite:

IOW, pointing out the aforementioned stuff in his paragraph might be considered rude and insensitive. And I pointed out that pointing out the aforementioned stuff would NEVER be considered rude and insensitive in New Yawk (aka New York) because nothing is considered rude and insensitive here in New Yawk, because rude and insensitive is New Yawk's middle name.

Better?

"Promiscuous", eh? My, my.

Let's see - Dargo said this in response to infinite:

IOW, pointing out the aforementioned stuff in his paragraph might be considered rude and insensitive. And I pointed out that pointing out the aforementioned stuff would NEVER be considered rude and insensitive in New Yawk (aka New York) because nothing is considered rude and insensitive here in New Yawk, because rude and insensitive is New Yawk's middle name.

Better?

"Promiscuous", eh? My, my.

I think I sort of understand, thought I do respectively disagree with you about the "rude and insensitive New York."  That's a stereotype that I haven't seen here more than elsewhere, and I'm a born and bred New Yorker, as were my parents before me. I do know, though, that to perpetuate a stereotype makes some people believe it.

By the way -- forgive my ignorance -- what is IOW?  For me it means the Isle of Wight.

I think I sort of understand, thought I do respectively disagree with you about the "rude and insensitive New York."  That's a stereotype that I haven't seen here more than elsewhere, and I'm a born and bred New Yorker, as were my parents before me. I do know, though, that to perpetuate a stereotype makes some people believe it.

By the way -- forgive my ignorance -- what is IOW?  For me it means the Isle of Wight.

IOW = in other words.

Compare New Yawk to the South. Even if they don't mean it, they're not rude or insensitive. At least New Yawkers are honest about it.

IOW = in other words.

Compare New Yawk to the South. Even if they don't mean it, they're not rude or insensitive. At least New Yawkers are honest about it.

I don't agree.  I've travelled pretty widely in the South, and found rudeness and graciousness there in the same proportion as anywhere else. It sounds like you've got stereotypes in your mind that you got in the movies!  :)

It didn't take long at all until he became pudgy, broad-faced and old.

I watch Richard Bradford in 'The Chase' and marvel at his youthful look - thin, sexy, curly haired handsome. Not too much later - broad street, just like Hemmings.

I guess it'd be called "filling out" here in the regular world.

So "filling out" is part of aging gracefully. I'm not aging gracefully. I'll be dragged, kicking and screaming, into old age.

One thing that troubles me is some of the talk about Bette Davis. She had health issues as a senior; that's no reason for her to hide, to deny people the opportunity to see her and hear her wonderful stories about the old Hollywood. And I don't like this cult of youth around the Oscars.  If a really elderly actor shows up, people say, why don't they just let us remember what they looked like when they were young and beautiful? I find that attitude offensive. I want to see Doris Day, I don't care HOW she looks!

• Like 2

I don't agree.  I've travelled pretty widely in the South, and found rudeness and graciousness there in the same proportion as anywhere else. It sounds like you've got stereotypes in your mind that you got in the movies!  :)

Now, now, no attacks. We're now an attack free board, haven't you heard?

Now, now, no attacks. We're now an attack free board, haven't you heard?

Bless you (and the subway you rode in on)!   :)

Ah, a veiled very bad insult. Good thing you're friends with The Skipper, because even the moderator (no, not that moderator) would know you meant FU and the horse you rode in on.

Shame on you. 

*If you were really from New Yawk, you wouldn't hide your insult under a bushel.

LOL

Yeah primos, and just remember to get off the N-line train BEFORE you get to Brooklyn and IF you're ACTUALLY tryin' to get from Midtown to the 9-11 Memorial.

(...and like a certain couple from Sedona Arizona recently failed to do while visiting that great city full of, surprisingly to said couple, a lot LESS "rude people" than they had thought they'd run into there) 

LOL

Yeah primos, and just remember to get off the N-line train BEFORE you get to Brooklyn and IF you're ACTUALLY tryin' to get from Midtown to the 9-11 Memorial.

(...and like a certain couple from Sedona Arizona recently failed to do while visiting that great city full of, surprisingly to said couple, a lot LESS "rude people" than they had thought they'd run into there) 

So you like the veiled FU and the horse you rode in on?

Surprised at you, Dargo. New Yawkers wouldn't be so surreptitious, they have more integrity.

Ah, a veiled very bad insult. Good thing you're friends with The Skipper, because even the moderator (no, not that moderator) would know you meant FU and the horse you rode in on.

Shame on you. 

*If you were really from New Yawk, you wouldn't hide your insult under a bushel.

If you were really from New York, you would have a sense of humor! Who is the Skipper? (I will make one generalization as to us native New Yorkers -- we're not so sensitive! Where did you even get the idea that I meant FU?)

If you were really from New York, you would have a sense of humor! Who is the Skipper?

Nope, New Yawkers don't like those who don't come right out and say what they mean. If you want to say FU and the horse you rode in on, then say FU and the horse you rode in on.

The Skipper is TB. You know, the one you lifted the specious Bless You from? 

If you were really from New York, you would have a sense of humor! Who is the Skipper? (I will make one generalization as to us native New Yorkers -- we're not so sensitive! Where did you even get the idea that I meant FU?)

Wow, you really do want to carry this to the end, don't you? You're obviously not a real New Yawker.

You must be from upstate New York.

Wow, you really do want to carry this to the end, don't you? You're obviously not a real New Yawker.

You must be from upstate New York.

I think you probably would easily win over me in terms of longevity of posts in  a thread! I bow to your expertise!