Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

An American Romance

Sepiatone

Never saw this before last night( or rather, afternoon).

And since---

1.  I'm a product of Eastern European immigrants, who once worked in mines and early auto plants;

2.  And since BOTH of my father-in-laws worked in the big steel mill in my area;

This movie struck a chord with me.

Oh, let me just mention----my WIFE used to work in Ypsilanti Michigan's "Willow Run" plant( GM) that USED to be a Ford plant back in the '40's, and was where Ford manufactured thousands of P-25 light bomber aircraft during WWII, which is also where the WILLOW RUN AIRPORT is located next door to the plant---constructed for testing and delivery.

Of course, when my wife worked there, (1996-2003) they were still assembling transmissions and some engines, and now, most of it was torn down except for a small portion donated to The Yankee Air Force,  an aviation historical society.

And many of the auto assembly techniques shown in the movie were still in use when I hired in at the old Cadillac main plant on Clark Street, Detroit in 1971.  Took me back, and I found it not only a good story relating the history( except for the TYCOON aspect) of many American families, but a nice slice of life movie. 

And as a long time UAW member with a family history of union organization behind me, It was kind of amusing...

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings