Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pugsley's Gone

darkblue

And on Wednesday. Oops, actually he died last Sunday.

I bet those stripped polo shirts Pugsley's always wore were bad

for Ken's health. A few years ago The Addams Family was on

TVLand in the early afternoons. I hadn't seen them since I was

a kid. They were still funny, but nothing like the first time around.

R.I.P., Ken.

Isn't it interesting how those shows we sat in front of, entranced, have not held up well?

Mr. Ed, Gilligan's Island, Green Acres, Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, I Dream of Jeanie, Bewitched, The Munsters, The Addams Family - oy gevalt.

Meanwhile, The Honeymooners, Your Show of Shows, The Odd Couple, and The Burns and Allen Show seem, at least to me, timeless.

Isn't it interesting how those shows we sat in front of, entranced, have not held up well?

Mr. Ed, Gilligan's Island, Green Acres, Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, I Dream of Jeanie, Bewitched, The Munsters, The Addams Family - oy gevalt.

Of those, the only one I liked was 'The Addams Family' - I dug Astin and thought Jones was sexy. As for 'Bewitched', I'd watch that from time to time because I thought Elizabeth was the most beautiful woman on television and just wanted to look at her.

The rest were brainless and had no hold on me of any kind.

Well....I will say that Fred Gwynne as Herman could make me laugh sometimes if I happened to catch a few minutes in passing.

I don't think that's too surprising. Many of these 1960s shows were kind

of silly ones that would appeal to kids, though adults liked them too,

That they now don't go over very well now is to be expected. I'm sure there

are some 1960s shows that still hold up pretty well. Andy Griffith, The

Fugitive (I missed that one the first time around). No doubt there are

others.

there's The Dick Van Dyke Show:D

the common thread in the groups Primo remembered was:

the not so good group-canned laughter.

the well remembered group-live audiences.

and i think the producers of the shows chose each type of "audience" based on their confidence in each show.

sad news about Pugsley.

Meanwhile, The Honeymooners, Your Show of Shows, The Odd Couple, and The Burns and Allen Show seem, at least to me, timeless.

I think that, that was the point. We turned on the news every night to hear Walter give us a body count at 6:30 pm on how many Americans died today in Vietnam, so by 8:00 we wanted to see something silly that we didn't have to think about too much. We also went to the movies to see silly movies with Rock Hudson and Doris Day.

I agree. With all the grim news about the Vietnam War people wanted escapism. It's just like during the depression when people went to the movies to see the Warner Bros. musicals and Fred and Ginger dancing on those expensive sets. People needed an escape mechanism from the real world.

By the way, I don't think all those 60's shows mentioned have lost their humor. I still laugh whenever

I watch the Beverly Hillbillies and Bewitched. There is some humor that's timeless.

Just imagine 50 years from now. What will the people think of the stupid, ridiculous and inane reality

shows of today which have saturated all the channels?

I always get a kick out of the usually fake British Invasion bands that often showed up on these TV shows

in the mid 1960s. They had strange accents and stupid band names.

And Lurch became a teenage idol for one episode! You riffed.

And then there were classic moments like the time a real-life band, The Seeds, appeared as a group called The Warts on NBC's "The Mothers-in-Law" in April 1968. The series starred Eve Arden and Kaye Ballard. Check out Deborah Walley's awesome go-go dancing!

The Cold War was 1949 to 1960 and all the Sci-Fi movies. By 1963 it was a Hot War in Vietnam. And by 1965 we were having 360 plus dead each day so that puts it right in with Bewitched and all the other shows.

By 1967 LBJ said he didn't want to be President anymore and was gone and a year later and we entered the magical year of 1969.  We read in The New York Times that God is dead. We woke up, went to Woodstock, tried  LSD and bought The Beatles White Album.

• Like 1

I think that, that was the point. We turned on the news every night to hear Walter give us a body count at 6:30 pm on how many Americans died today in Vietnam, so by 8:00 we wanted to see something silly that we didn't have to think about too much. We also went to the movies to see silly movies with Rock Hudson and Doris Day.

Good point, ahharding. And at the time, I had a great time watching those shows. And can still sing their theme songs.

Anyone know a theme song from a show today? Earl and Scruggs wrote and sang the Beverly Hillbillies song, imagine?

Good point also on The Dick Van Dyke show, mr6666, although that was much earlier than the silly shows, which were all the rage. 

Remember when the real Chad and Jeremy appeared on the Dick Van Dyke show?

Worst part, Puggsley was only 59 when he died. Ken Weatherwax - I don't think I ever knew his name. What a legacy, related to THE Weatherwax!

Good point, ahharding. And at the time, I had a great time watching those shows. And can still sing their theme songs.

Anyone know a theme song from a show today? Earl and Scruggs wrote and sang the Beverly Hillbillies song, imagine?

Good point also on The Dick Van Dyke show, mr6666, although that was much earlier than the silly shows, which were all the rage. 

Remember when the real Chad and Jeremy appeared on the Dick Van Dyke show?

Worst part, Puggsley was only 59 when he died. Ken Weatherwax - I don't think I ever knew his name. What a legacy, related to THE Weatherwax!

It's kind of funny but we never watched The Dick Van Dyke Show or The Addams Family back then. I was a child so I didn't have any control over which of the three channels the Black and White TV was on. 

P.S.

Didn't Earl and Scruggs do the theme for Petticoat Junction too?

It's kind of funny but we never watched The Dick Van Dyke Show or The Addams Family back then. I was a child so I didn't have any control over which of the three channels the Black and White TV was on. 

P.S.

Didn't Earl and Scruggs do the theme for Petticoat Junction too?

Hah! Same here - but my dictatorial father liked The Dick Van Dyke show because it was clever, and we did as we were told. He also liked Laramie, so at least I got to form my first crush on Robert Fuller (still pretty, as per that other thread on pretty and old actors).   :wub:  

I think he gave up when the stupid shows came on, so my brother and I sat in front of the silly shows, which I now find unwatchable.

Yes, they did write and sing the theme song for P/J as well. That show, incidentally, was never in reruns on TV Land (remember when TV Land played human shows?) when the others were. Odd.

P.S. It's fun to read that you grew up in a household where you didn't have control of the tv schedule and ended up liking Ann Harding when you found TCM. Small world. :D

Petticoat Junction is in heavy rotation on ME-TV at the moment although it has a very early time slot. I've been watching a lot of Perry Mason and Rockford files on that channel and besides the obvious dated things like cars and clothes, courtroom and detective shows don't change much. And a lot of classic stars show up, especially on Mason.

I have that one on 45.  :)

What about the "Green Acres" ?.  Think about it ever time I see a tractor.. :lol:

Get a kick out of Eddie Albert wearing a suit instead of overalls.

I have that one on 45.  :)

What about the "Green Acres" ?.  Think about it ever time I see a tractor.. :lol:

Get a kick out of Eddie Albert wearing a suit instead of overalls.

What about the "Green Acres" ?

Absolutely. I can pretty much sing the whole thing.

I also got a kick out of seeing Mr. Ziffel, sans pig, in an old movie on TCM.

This is just one more reminder of how much of my childhood and youth is disappearing.

And I mean that literally.

The hospital in which I was born had a few years ago been razed.

The house I grew up in had been totally remodeled.  the SECOND house had burned down.

The building which contained my first apartment, and home when I moved out from under my parent's wing, is GONE!

My elementary school had been torn down back in the mid '70's.

My JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL was razed in 1984

The car wash where I earned my first PAYCHECK was torn down back in 1967

So are the restaraunt  inwhich I worked when I started high school,. AND the K-Mart I used to work at.  Another car wash is something else now( a VERIZON store)

Even the CADILLAC plant I started working for GM in has been razed.  and the ENGINE plant I moved to when the Cadillac plant closed is ALSO closed up.

Weatherwax passing at a much younger age than I is only more depressing news I don't wish to try and proccess.

Sepiatone

Uh, it was Flatt and Scruggs (Lester and Earl), not Earl and Scruggs, that did "The Ballad of Jed Clampett." And although they recorded a version of the Petticoat Junction theme, it was written by show creator Paul Henning and Curt Massey, and sung for the show by Massey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foggy_Mountain_Boys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petticoat_Junction#Theme_Song

Uh, it was Flatt and Scruggs (Lester and Earl), not Earl and Scruggs, that did "The Ballad of Jed Clampett." And although they recorded a version of the Petticoat Junction theme, it was written by show creator Paul Henning and Curt Massey, and sung for the show by Massey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foggy_Mountain_Boys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petticoat_Junction#Theme_Song

They appeared on "The Beverly Hillbillies". The music at the beginning is "Foggy Mountain Breakdown"

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings