Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Removed to WHERE?

Sepiatone

My family situation is this---

my Mother was an only child.  so, all of HER aunts and uncles were also mine and my sibling's.  Same with her cousins.  I just got a Christmas card from my cousin Paul, who ALSO was HER cousin.

Which makes ME, I guess, the "second cousin".

I'm NOT sure how all that works.  for example, i've often heard the phrase, used by otherpeople, and also in many old movies, "Second cousin---TWICE REMOVED!"

I often wondered what that means.  Any idieas?

Sepiatone

My family situation is this---

my Mother was an only child.  so, all of HER aunts and uncles were also mine and my sibling's.  Same with her cousins.  I just got a Christmas card from my cousin Paul, who ALSO was HER cousin.

Which makes ME, I guess, the "second cousin".

I'm NOT sure how all that works.  for example, i've often heard the phrase, used by otherpeople, and also in many old movies, "Second cousin---TWICE REMOVED!"

I often wondered what that means.  Any idieas?

Sepiatone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin

Jerry Lee Lewis's family tree should be interesting.  Uh, first cousin NEVER removed?

Wouldn't her aunt be your great-aunt, and her uncle be your great-uncle?

However, nobody actually includes the word "great" when addressing such a person in person. We just shorten the title to "aunt" and "uncle".

As for the cousin question, I have to think about that some more.

Wouldn't her aunt be your great-aunt, and her uncle be your great-uncle?

However, nobody actually includes the word "great" when addressing such a person in person. We just shorten the title to "aunt" and "uncle".

As for the cousin question, I have to think about that some more.

You're right about the "great" thing, of course.   And of course, I never CALLED them that when addressing them, and as I remember, they WERE great!  The greatest people I ever KNEW!  ;)

Sepiatone

I have many relatives which I wish were removed!

I am known as 'aunt' to my cousins' children and grand-children. I do not know proper name for this in English. We were at all times concerned more with personal relationship than with technical terms of lineage.

I have many relatives which I wish were removed!

I am known as 'aunt' to my cousins' children and grand-children. I do not know proper name for this in English. We were at all times concerned more with personal relationship than with technical terms of lineage.

I THINK it either makes YOU the "second" or "third" cousin, or THEM those things.

It's the ONCE or TWICE REMOVED term that confuses me.

As far as you being their "Aunt", I'm not so sure.  But, at least here in America, it's not uncommon for a Mother's best friend to be so close a friend that she becomes known as "Aunt" to the children of the friend.  For example, my mom's best friend was known as "Aunt Sarah" to me and my brother.  And HER children were considered by us to be our "cousins".  Now, "Aunt Sarah" died about 30 years ago, and HER children and WE still consider each other as "cousins"!  In fact, we STILL exchange Christmas Cards, and they attended my mother's funeral 15 years ago, as both my brother and I attended THEIR mother's funeral 30 years ago!

And, incidentally, THEY always called MY mother "Aunt Gloria"...

Sepiatone

If you want to know how many relatives you actually have, win the Mega Lottery. 

I believe that a common dustman spoke well on the subject of sudden wealth in: My Fair Lady (1864):

Alfred P. Doolittle: A year ago, I hadn't a relation in the world except one or two who wouldn't speak to me. Now, I've fifty, and not a decent week's wages amongst the lot of 'em. 

Archived