Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Little Details

Notan

I've had Scrooge (1970) on in the background most of the morning, and have watched bits of it here-and-there.

One scene shows a close-up of Scrooge (Albert Finney) with his hands over his face. There is dirt under his fingernails. The question that springs to my mind is: who thought of putting dirt there? Finney? Ronald Neame, the director? I recall seeing the dirt under the nails many times before, and I’ve always attributed it to Finney, being the excellent actor that he is. But perhaps it was Neame’s idea. Either way, it is a small, subtle, and yet very telling detail of the character, and it added value to the film. On the other hand – no pun intended – it is also a detail whose absence would not have detracted from the general quality of the film.

And since I am on the subject of this film, I also noticed in the credits that Leslie Bricusse not only wrote the music and lyrics, he also wrote the screenplay. Now that’s some double-threat talent.

Are there any notable small, but impressive and telling, details you’ve noticed in this or any other film?

Yeah Nolan, if ya look REAL close at Jacob Marley's ghost's chains in that flick, the lock on 'em says "Yale".

And EVERYBODY knows that in Victorian era London, all the locks said "Cambridge" on 'em!!!

(...sorry, couldn't resist...I'll get back to ya when I can think of a non-smarkalecky answer to your question) ;)

Notan, it is a little-known fact that Albert Finney was notorious for having dirty fingernails. In fact, a friend once gave him a gift certificate to a manicurist (subtle hint), and Finney  tore it up and tossed it in his face.

So, I think this actor just didn't take care of his nails, and the cameraman in "Scrooge" just happened to pick up on this.

(Mr. Finney did, however, take meticulous care of his teeth; I guess the time he saved in not cleaning  his fingernails was used to floss his teeth.)

(None of the above has been substantiated. I'm just being silly.) :wacko:

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings