Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

St. Patrick Day movies

DickLindsay

OK, I know we're all in the Yuletide spirit, but I wanted to talk about St. Patrick Day movies, particularly my favorite, and possible encourage the programming gods at TCM to consider my suggestion.

When I was growing up in the 1960s in NYC, our location TV station always showed the 1940 film LITTLE NELLIE KELLY with Judy Garland on St Patricks Day.  It was usually shown on the "4:30 movie", a late afternoon program which is long gone.  They would start a film at 4:30 in the afternoon and it would end by 6PM when the first local news program came on. They would cut 1/2 the movie out; it was pretty bad.  Sometimes if there was a longer film scheduled ("Baby Jane" for example) they would show it over 2 days.  

Anyway, I always loved watched this cute little musical film with Judy on St. Patricks Day.  She is so wonderful in it, playing two roles; a young bride who dies in childbirth, and then her daughter who grows up to look just like her mother!  Film co-stars Charles WInninger and George Murphy who never remarries or seems to have any type of romantic interlude after the adult Judy character passes away (hmmmmmmm).

This doesn't seem to be anyone's favorite.  I haven't seen it on St. Patrick's day since 1973 when the 4:30 movie was disbanded; and, as a matter of fact, I've haven't seen it too often... period!  The songs are cute, judy is wonderful.

Anyone else have thoughts for St. Patrick Day films they'd like to see on that special holiday?

And....... does ANYONE out there like LITTLE NELLIE KELLY??

and now... back to yuletide thoughts.

OK, I know we're all in the Yuletide spirit, but I wanted to talk about St. Patrick Day movies, particularly my favorite, and possible encourage the programming gods at TCM to consider my suggestion.

When I was growing up in the 1960s in NYC, our location TV station always showed the 1940 film LITTLE NELLIE KELLY with Judy Garland on St Patricks Day.  It was usually shown on the "4:30 movie", a late afternoon program which is long gone.  They would start a film at 4:30 in the afternoon and it would end by 6PM when the first local news program came on. They would cut 1/2 the movie out; it was pretty bad.  Sometimes if there was a longer film scheduled ("Baby Jane" for example) they would show it over 2 days.  

Anyway, I always loved watched this cute little musical film with Judy on St. Patricks Day.  She is so wonderful in it, playing two roles; a young bride who dies in childbirth, and then her daughter who grows up to look just like her mother!  Film co-stars Charles WInninger and George Murphy who never remarries or seems to have any type of romantic interlude after the adult Judy character passes away (hmmmmmmm).

This doesn't seem to be anyone's favorite.  I haven't seen it on St. Patrick's day since 1973 when the 4:30 movie was disbanded; and, as a matter of fact, I've haven't seen it too often... period!  The songs are cute, judy is wonderful.

Anyone else have thoughts for St. Patrick Day films they'd like to see on that special holiday?

And....... does ANYONE out there like LITTLE NELLIE KELLY??

and now... back to yuletide thoughts.

That takes me back. I grew up in Queens, NY in the 50's. There was Million $ Movie on Ch.9 and the early and late show on CBS ch.2. The late show went on at 11:15 after the news and pretty much ran the movie uncut. But the early show went on at 6:15 after 15 minutes of news [ yes, 15 for the local news cast] and ran until 7pm. That's 45 minute for a full length film. Most of the time they started it in the middle of the film. At least the Million $ Movie ran in a 2 hour time slot at 8pm and again at 11pm. The same movie foe a week.

I remember my first job in TV was at WOR in master control in the Empire State Building and sitting through "Flirtation Walk" with Dick Powell. Twice a night for a week. By the of the second night we were singing along with Dick and Ruby Keeler. But it was fun. Million $  was my introduction to "Yankee Doodle Dandy" and "Gunga Din"..I remember Little Nellie Kelly well...

That takes me back. I grew up in Queens, NY in the 50's. There was Million $ Movie on Ch.9 and the early and late show on CBS ch.2. The late show went on at 11:15 after the news and pretty much ran the movie uncut. But the early show went on at 6:15 after 15 minutes of news [ yes, 15 for the local news cast] and ran until 7pm. That's 45 minute for a full length film. Most of the time they started it in the middle of the film. At least the Million $ Movie ran in a 2 hour time slot at 8pm and again at 11pm. The same movie foe a week.

I remember my first job in TV was at WOR in master control in the Empire State Building and sitting through "Flirtation Walk" with Dick Powell. Twice a night for a week. By the of the second night we were singing along with Dick and Ruby Keeler. But it was fun. Million $  was my introduction to "Yankee Doodle Dandy" and "Gunga Din"..I remember Little Nellie Kelly well...

I do too. I most remember Million Dollar Movie showing MIGHTY JOE YOUNG, and one of my very favorites GREAT EXPECTATIONS, (LOVE all the versions, but MDM use to show the the earlier version with Jane Wyatt). I remember watching alot of the Crosby, Hope ROAD movies and TARZAN movies on the EARLY SHOW. Remember the EAST SIDE COMEDIES on channel 5 on the week-ends. Loved watching those. CHILLER THEATER on Sat. nights. So much fun :)

As far as St Patty Movies, LOVE my guy TY in THE LUCK OF THE IRISH ;)

Archived