Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

News: Mary Ann Mobley has died

Wow seems like one of the younger stars...she certainly was beautiful & talented. Never knew she was a "MissA" but did know she was Mrs Gary Collins-another one who died young. 

Thanks for posting this TB.

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear this. I have to admit that "Get Yourself a College Girl" (1964) is a guilty pleasure that I try to catch whenever it shows up. (It's coming in January.) It's bouncy and colorful and some of it actually rocks. Mary Ann played the role which Connie Francis normally would have done in these M-G-M teen musicals, their answer to American-International's beach party movies. It also features the great jazz organist Jimmy Smith, whose Christmas album I've just been listening to. Mary Ann ultimately did more TV than movies but her charm translated to the big and small screens equally. Without being harsh I hope, I think she was probably more of a footnote to movie history, but sometimes those people make very big and lasting impressions. R.I.P.

I'm sorry to hear this. I have to admit that "Get Yourself a College Girl" (1964) is a guilty pleasure that I try to catch whenever it shows up. (It's coming in January.) It's bouncy and colorful and some of it actually rocks. Mary Ann played the role which Connie Francis normally would have done in these M-G-M teen musicals, their answer to American-International's beach party movies. It also features the great jazz organist Jimmy Smith, whose Christmas album I've just been listening to. Mary Ann ultimately did more TV than movies but her charm translated to the big and small screens equally. Without being harsh I hope, I think she was probably more of a footnote to movie history, but sometimes those people make very big and lasting impressions. R.I.P.

Not long ago I bought the entire series Hearts Afire on DVD (starring John Ritter & Markie Post). Mary Ann shows up in an episode where she plays the pampered wife of an incompetent senator (played by George Gaynes). She gets a chance to sit at a piano and sing As Time Goes By. She was gorgeous and in fine voice. Truly a talented lady. 

Sorry to hear this. I had read she hadnt been well. She was a real beauty in her day.

I was able to see one of Jimmy Smith last performances in a small club in L.A. just a few months before he died.  

The band was guitar, bass, drums and organ, but Jimmy would only play two songs then take a break which the trio would play.  Still it was great to see this master.    Larry Coryell was the guitar player and we talked during breaks.  He said he would of done the gig for free just to play with Jimmy.

Gee, that's too bad.  She WAS gorgeous, and pretty talented.

And I always think this sort of thing, for some reason, is SADDER when it happens around the holidays.  A notion I suppose, I inherited from my Mother.

Sepiatone

Wow seems like one of the younger stars...she certainly was beautiful & talented. Never knew she was a "MissA" but did know she was Mrs Gary Collins-another one who died young. 

Not only was she the 1959 Miss America titlist (Mississippi's Lynda Lee Mead succeeded her a year later, giving the state back-to-back winners), but her talent performance also was unforgettable. She sang Puccini's "Un Bel Di" from "Madame Butterfly," and then did a semi-striptease while singing "There'll Be Some Changes Made." Here's the interview portion of the competition with host Bert Parks (By the way, she lost the Southern accent and developed perfect diction after she became an actress):

She also was the first person to play April Dancer in a 1966 episode of "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." (with Norman Fell as her sidekick), and seemed poised to star in the series spinoff "The Girl from U.N.C.L.E." But the Powers That Be signed Stefanie Powers to headline the series, which ran on NBC during the 1966-1967 season.

She was in line to play Batgirl during the 1967-68 season of ABC's "Batman," but that role, too, went to another actress -- Yvonne Craig.

During the 1985-1986 season, she became a regular on the ABC sitcom "Diff'rent Strokes," replacing Dixie Carter as Maggie McKinney, the woman who marries Conrad Bain's character. It was the final season for the long-runnng comedy series, which had been on NBC from 1978-1985.

• Like 1

Not only was she the 1959 Miss America titlist (Mississippi's Lynda Lee Mead succeeded her a year later, giving the state back-to-back winners), but her talent performance also was unforgettable. She sang Puccini's "Un Bel Di" from "Madame Butterfly," and then did a semi-striptease while singing "There'll Be Some Changes Made." Here's the interview portion of the competition with host Bert Parks (By the way, she lost the Southern accent and developed perfect diction after she became an actress):

She also was the first person to play April Dancer in a 1966 episode of "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." (with Norman Fell as her sidekick), and seemed poised to star in the series spinoff "The Girl from U.N.C.L.E." But the Powers That Be signed Stefanie Powers to headline the series, which ran on NBC during the 1966-1967 season.

She was in line to play Batgirl during the 1967-68 season of ABC's "Batman," but that role, too, went to another actress -- Yvonne Craig.

During the 1985-1986 season, she became a regular on the ABC sitcom "Diff'rent Strokes," replacing Dixie Carter as Maggie McKinney, the woman who marries Conrad Bain's character. It was the final season for the long-runnng comedy series, which had been on NBC from 1978-1985.

Yes, I remember she was in the pilot, that was shown on UNCLE, but when the series aired, Powers had the role.......

Form your description, "unforgettable" seems synonymous with "fodder for snickers".

Form your description, "unforgettable" seems synonymous with "fodder for snickers".

I guess you had to be from Mississippi to really appreciate it.

She was very classy, beautiful lady! Too bad the actresses of today are not "classy" in the way they dress! May she rest in peace!

I'm not, and I didn't.

Gee, what were the odds of that? One in 50?

She was very classy, beautiful lady! Too bad the actresses of today are not "classy" in the way they dress! May she rest in peace!

Every singe actress of today is NOT classy?    Isn't that an over the top statement?   How about Charlize Theron.   To me she has class and style.   

• Like 1