Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If Cary was said to have possessed a "Mid-Atlantic" accent, couldn't one say Errol had a "Mid-Pacific" accent?

Dargo

;)

'Cause just as Grant, who didn't completely sound British OR American, I say Flynn didn't completely sound Australian OR American, EITHER!

Thoughts, anyone?

And yeah, somebody call the people at Oxford AND at Websters, 'cause I THINK I just coined a new word/phrase here, folks!

(...but tell those blokes over in Blighty that IF they deem my new word/phrase appropriate for their next publication, to PLEASE refrain from adding one of their superfluous-U's in it somewhere, 'cause I SWEAR I'll SUE 'em if they DO!!!) LOL

Everyone knows what's likely to happen if you stand in the middle of the road.  Only in this case, standing in the middle of the ocean is more likely to lead to drowning than getting run over.  The 'Mid-Atlantic' was more an affectation, than an accent, it seems to me.  A snobbish attempt of the rich elites (as they styled themselves) of the northeast to to isolate themselves from the rabble.  Mr. Flynn's mid-water tongue, on the other hand, is a little more grounded.

• Like 1

Everyone knows what's likely to happen if you stand in the middle of the road.  Only in this case, standing in the middle of the ocean is more likely to lead to drowning than getting run over.  The 'Mid-Atlantic' was more an affectation, than an accent, it seems to me.  A snobbish attempt of the rich elites (as they styled themselves) of the northeast to to isolate themselves from the rabble.  Mr. Flynn's mid-water tongue, on the other hand, is a little more grounded.

I'd say that that's a pretty good analysis there, slayton.

(...and very cleverly put, I might add) ;)

• Like 1

I know that Errol spent a fair amount of time of his formative years in both Australia and England.  Perhaps his Australian accent became a little watered down as a result of being in England so long?  I haven't read of him ever having to attend diction classes at the studio, so I will presume that he arrived on the Warner Brothers lot with his voice and accent already intact. He's from Tasmania, an island off the coast of the Australia.  Perhaps their accent is different than those of the mainland?

When cast in contemporary roles as an American in his films, he's typically presented as part of the upper class or at least someone who is well off.  His British/Australian accent lends itself well to those types of roles. 

I know that Errol spent a fair amount of time of his formative years in both Australia and England.  Perhaps his Australian accent became a little watered down as a result of being in England so long?  I haven't read of him ever having to attend diction classes at the studio, so I will presume that he arrived on the Warner Brothers lot with his voice and accent already intact. He's from Tasmania, an island off the coast of the Australia.  Perhaps their accent is different than those of the mainland?

When cast in contemporary roles as an American in his films, he's typically presented as part of the upper class or at least someone who is well off.  His British/Australian accent lends itself well to those types of roles. 

I never realized Flynn was Australian. Then again, I never stuck around for his movies, so that has something to do with it.

As to Grant, if Hughes and Laurie can do terrible American accents and make buckets of money, good on Grant for doing whatever he had to do to get rich. Plus, he was light years (yeah, distance, time, don't care) prettier than Hughes and Laurie. :wub:

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings