Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mmm, The Adventures of Robin Hood, a feast for the eyes.

slaytonf

The one movie that never fails to deliver (well, not really, but it sounds good to say that).  I've never seen a bad print on TCM.  Can't imagine how that happens.  Don't know if it's ever been restored, but as far as I can see it doesn't need it.  Some of the colors are so alive they seem to shimmer off the screen.  Check out Robin's cloak, the green is electric.  And the blue of the feather in the cap the Merry Men gave the Sheriff of Nottingham.  The archery scene is a cornucopia of color enough to satisfy the hungriest eye's appetite for a week.  The turquoise in Guy of Gisbourne's robe is liquid fire.  The pastel teal of Marion's veil is verges on the etherial.

I was just thinking the same thing, slayton. Beautifully rich colours. The costume and set people must have had fun designing for this.

I wonder if anyone involved in the making of The Adventures of Robin Hood was familiar with medieval "illuminated manuscripts", especially those made for the Duc de Berry, "The Book of Hours". Some of the scenes in "Robin Hood" look like they were lifted out of this beautiful collection. And the time period would be just about right. (Give or take a century or two.)

limbourg-heures.jpg

The one movie that never fails to deliver (well, not really, but it sounds good to say that).  I've never seen a bad print on TCM.  Can't imagine how that happens.  Don't know if it's ever been restored, but as far as I can see it doesn't need it.  Some of the colors are so alive they seem to shimmer off the screen.  Check out Robin's cloak, the green is electric.  And the blue of the feather in the cap the Merry Men gave the Sheriff of Nottingham.  The archery scene is a cornucopia of color enough to satisfy the hungriest eye's appetite for a week.  The turquoise in Guy of Gisbourne's robe is liquid fire.  The pastel teal of Marion's veil is verges on the etherial.

This is one of my favorite movies of all time and part of the reason is it's so visually pleasing.

I completely agree with the title of this thread.

Except for me, Errol Flynn as Robin Hood is the feast for my eyes ;)

I digress.

I completely agree.  The colors are so vibrant and gorgeous.  The costumes are amazing.  All the sets were decorated and painted beautifully.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with this film in my opinion.  I don't know if I could go as far as to say it's a perfect film, but it pretty much is in my book.  When I watch this film, it's hard to believe that it was made 76 years ago-- one would think it was made yesterday.  I think what also really helps Robin Hood look so beautiful is that they filmed much of the Sherwood Forest action in an actual park outside, not in a studio.  Showcasing the beautiful real outdoors only adds to the overall aesthetic of the film.

I have to think it's been restored at some point.  I have this film on Blu-Ray, I would have to think that some restoration would have had to have been done to bring it up to Blu-Ray quality.  Although, perhaps because of the great Technicolor film, maybe Warner Brothers only had to remove minimal dust and scratches.  I'm not sure.  I don't know if the Blu-Ray has a restoration feature on it--my 'Wizard of Oz' Blu-Ray did.

I have said before....I was lucky enough to have seen a costume exhibit that included Flynn's Robin Hood outfit. Even though it was on a mannequin, you had a sense of Flynn's height & build-stunning! And yes, even though the fabric was old, the colors were still gorgeous-outstanding compared to the other costumes. The green wasn't a harsh saturated color, but a rich vibrant tone. Very reminiscent of Adrian's color choices in THE WIZARD OF OZ (there were costumes from that too)

I think what also really helps Robin Hood look so beautiful is that they filmed much of the Sherwood Forest action in an actual park outside, not in a studio.  Showcasing the beautiful real outdoors only adds to the overall aesthetic of the film.

Ah, yes.  Amid the sycamores and live oaks of sunny England.  It's always amusing for me to watch how Hollywooders used the Los Angels Basin and San Fernando Valley landscapes stand in for any number of places around the world.  'Course I know it was impossible to travel everywhere.

Robin Hood was restored by Warners Home Video before its DVD release in 2003.

The Sherwood Forest scenes were filmed in Bidwell Park in Chico, Cal., with the leaves painted green to make them look even more vibrant with those Technicolor cameras.

I agree.  TAORH is the best adventure film ever made.  

I almost never miss it...but last nite I forgot it was comin' on. it kinda goes downhill a tad after the big forest feast which contains the film's most priceless scene imo.

maid marian starts nibbling on her mutton wing and then she turns and Flynn gives her that priceless bright eyes look.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings