Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scrooge (1951) with Alistair Sim

macocael

Disappointed to see that the Xmas lineup this month did not include this version of Dickens's tale among the Christmas Classics for Thursday nights.  This film is far and away the best of the lot -- dark and brooding, with wonderful acting all around and great cinematography.  I enjoy both the 1935 and the 1938 films, which will air on the 18th, but they really don't compare to the British 1951 film.  

I saw some of it just a week or two ago,  I think it was on the Hallmark Movie Channel, which has been running nothing but Christmas movies since the beginning of November. Most likely they outbid TCM for the broadcast rights. Those channels with all the commercials every few minutes tend to have deeper pockets than TCM.

• Like 1

Disappointed to see that the Xmas lineup this month did not include this version of Dickens's tale among the Christmas Classics for Thursday nights.  This film is far and away the best of the lot -- dark and brooding, with wonderful acting all around and great cinematography.  I enjoy both the 1935 and the 1938 films, which will air on the 18th, but they really don't compare to the British 1951 film.  

You are absolutely right, macocael. The Alastair Sim film is the best version ever of this Dickens Christmas story.

Funny, I always think of it that way- as "the Alastair Sim" version, rather than the "Brian Desmond Hurst" version (he was the director.)

• Like 2

You are absolutely right, macocael. The Alastair Sim film is the best version ever of this Dickens Christmas story.

Funny, I always think of it that way- as "the Alastair Sim" version, rather than the Brian Desmond Hurst" version (he was the director.)

True, true. Wonderful version.

Did you notice the cloning of the Sim version for Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol, even down to the Fan relationship?

The songs were better in the Magoo version. :)

• Like 3

Funny, I always think of it that way- as "the Alastair Sim" version, rather than the Brian Desmond Hurst" version (he was the director.)

It's OK---I too, always refer to it that way.

And I CANNOT abide by the "Reginald Owen version".  B)

But, there IS an animated version in which Jim Carrey does the voice of Scrooge.  his vocal rendition DOES get tedious after a bit, but story-wise, it's pretty close to the "SIM version".  My favorite tack about it is that the animators drew the various characters( Cratchet, Scrooge's nephew and such) to resembel the people providing the voices for them.  For instance, Cratchet DOES resemble actor Gary Oldman, who provides the VOICE for Cratchet.

Only SCROOGE, thankfully, DOESN'T look anything like Carrey.

But what's funny is I still like to joke(sort of) that the "Sim version" LOOKS as if it had been filmed in 1835 or so, when the story takes place(around),  Which is really my way of complimenting the fine job done by the cinematographer, and the SET designer!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

It's OK---I too, always refer to it that way.

And I CANNOT abide by the "Reginald Owen version".  B)

But, there IS an animated version in which Jim Carrey does the voice of Scrooge.  his vocal rendition DOES get tedious after a bit, but story-wise, it's pretty close to the "SIM version".  My favorite tack about it is that the animators drew the various characters( Cratchet, Scrooge's nephew and such) to resembel the people providing the voices for them.  For instance, Cratchet DOES resemble actor Gary Oldman, who provides the VOICE for Cratchet.

Only SCROOGE, thankfully, DOESN'T look anything like Carrey.

But what's funny is I still like to joke(sort of) that the "Sim version" LOOKS as if it had been filmed in 1835 or so, when the story takes place(around),  Which is really my way of complimenting the fine job done by the cinematographer, and the SET designer!

Sepiatone

Jim Carrey, animated? Barf.

Have you not seen the wonderful Mr. Magoo animated version, which faithfully follows the Sim version?

I loathe Jim Carrey, he must be as smarmy animated as he is in person.

PrimosPrimos, while Scrooge's sister Fan appears in the '51 Desmond-Hurst version, she doesn't appear in the Mr. Magoo version.  Do you mean young Scrooge's fiancee Alice ('51) / Belle ('62)?

There's no equivalent to Sim's sister, the psychological reason for his wimmen trouble? Wow.

How do they explain Magoo's Scrooge discarding his fiancee for coins when they jingle? 

Seems as if I must rewatch Magoo's Christmas Carol.

<< "How do they explain Magoo's Scrooge discarding his fiancee for coins when they jingle?"  >>

They didn't try to explain the change in his attitude.  I guess he just grew greedier w/ age.  I do remember Magoo's Scrooge telling Belle, "...this is the way of the world!"

• 2 weeks later...

I was a proponent of the 1951 version until I saw George C. Scott as Scrooge in CBS' 1984 made-for-television production of "A Christmas Carol."  I love the supporting cast, which includes Susannah York, Frank Finlay, David Warner, Roger Rees, Michael Gough, Joanne Whalley (before she married Val Kilmer) and Edward Woodward as the Ghost of Christmas Present. Plus, it's a feast for the eyes!

I admire the Mr. Magoo version and the Sim version equally.  For those who are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AFfPsvbyvs

There are a number of reasons it's so likable--the animation not being one of them.  Jim Backus as Magoo is a terrific Scrooge.  The songs are by Jule Styne and Bob Merrill, who collaborated on Funny Girl.  And it has razzleberry dressing.

• Like 2

don't recall seeing this version that was aired this am....

(with an invisible 'Marley')

6:00 AM
78 min
drama
Scrooge (1935)

The legendary miser searches his past, present and future to discover the true meaning of Christmas.

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Henry Edwards; Cast:  Sir Seymour Hicks, Donald Calthrop, Robert Cochran, Mary Glynne, Oscar Asche, Maurice Evans.

"Faithful adaptation of A Christmas Carol, with an impressive Sir Seymour (who also co-wrote the script) as Scrooge. Dickens' era brought colorfully to life."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sr2ow_ZH9w

Psssst....... don't get ticked off Scrooge (1951) was shown repeatedly last night on FXM.

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays BTW

Except for the commercials, and a bit I thought was missing, good as ever. Sim is wonderful. Nice little article, calling out the charming scene at the end, when he shows up at his nephew's house. One of my favorites is Sim throwing his pen in the air, declaring he doesn't deserve to be so happy.

http://spectator.org/articles/53094/sing-praises-alastair-sim’s-‘-christmas-carol’

Except for the commercials, and a bit I thought was missing, good as ever. Sim is wonderful. Nice little article, calling out the charming scene at the end, when he shows up at his nephew's house. One of my favorites is Sim throwing his pen in the air, declaring he doesn't deserve to be so happy.

http://spectator.org/articles/53094/sing-praises-alastair-sim’s-‘-christmas-carol’

This time I really picked up on the "Barbra Allen" tie in to the lost love story nice touch.

This time I really picked up on the "Barbra Allen" tie in to the lost love story nice touch.

Joe, that was the first time I had ever heard Barbara Allen. Lovely depressing song. :D

I then had to wait a full year to hear it again, at 11:30pm on Christmas Eve, on the mentioned in another thread WPIX.

The good ole days.

At present the Alastair version of "A Christmas Carol" is on the FXM Channel (Directv 258) Commercials plenty.

Joe, that was the first time I had ever heard Barbara Allen. Lovely depressing song. :D

I then had to wait a full year to hear it again, at 11:30pm on Christmas Eve, on the mentioned in another thread WPIX.

The good ole days.

Wow!   REALLY?

I had sung that song so many times in various music and chorus classes in school over the years---when I'd heard it in the movie for the first time, i wondered why since I never got a Christmas connection in the tune.

Sepiatone

Wow!   REALLY?

I had sung that song so many times in various music and chorus classes in school over the years---when I'd heard it in the movie for the first time, i wondered why since I never got a Christmas connection in the tune.

Sepiatone

NOW that you mention it, I think I can recall the lyrics, in blue, on a mimeograph sheet. So it must have been something we were given to read in high school.

WOW! Thanks for the memory jog - but no, I had never before heard it put to music before this wonderful movie.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings