Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Disco sucks?

DownGoesFrazier

For those who think that disco sucks, listen to some of my top 12 disco/dance tracks (long versions), and you'll reconsider.

Side Effect---Always There

Jackie Moore--This Time Baby

Madleen Kane---Forbidden Love

War----Galaxy

Edwin Starr----Contact

Karen Young----Hot Shot

Michael Sembello---Maniac

Skyy----Call Me

Vicki Sue Robinson----Daylight

GQ-----Disco Nights

France Joli---Come To Me

Machine-----There But For the Grace of God Go I

For those who think that disco sucks, listen to some of my top 12 disco/dance tracks (long versions), and you'll reconsider.

War----Galaxy

Edwin Starr----Contact

Karen Young----Hot Shot

Skyy----Call Me

GQ-----Disco Nights

France Joli---Come To Me

What sucks for me is Rap. I still have and play disco music.

The so called "The Night Disco Died"....check out

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/may/21/top-five-modern-disco

Modern day disco lounge.

Club%20Vertigo-Club,%20Disco,%20Lounge.j

I've heard all those before, and it HASN'T changed MY mind.

I still think it sucks, but if YOU like it, fine with me. 

I like all sorts of music, but disco just never won me over.  Either did the popular "bossa nova" beat in the '60's.

"Electronica" grinds my gears, too.  After years of listening to the brilliance of BEAVER and KRAUSE, TOMITA, KARLHEINZ STOCKHAUSEN,  DAVID AMRAM,  WENDY(Walter) CARLOS, MAURICE JARRE, JOSEF ZAWINUL and their ilk, to refer to that simple minded directionless synthesized "club music" as "Electronic music" is a SHAM!  AND an insult to the forementioned artists.

Oh, and I forgot to mention JAN HAMMER( PRE "Miami Vice")

Sepiatone

War----Galaxy

Edwin Starr----Contact

Karen Young----Hot Shot

Skyy----Call Me

GQ-----Disco Nights

France Joli---Come To Me

I'm with Sepiatone;  Disco still sucks.    OK,  if one is in club and the task at hand is dancing then Disco serves its purpose.

But to listen to it as music?    No thank you.     

I'm with Sepiatone;  Disco still sucks.    OK,  if one is in club and the task at hand is dancing then Disco serves its purpose.

Cartoon about jazz, lol!

Cartoon about jazz, lol!

Thanks for posting this.   It was very funny but also meaningful.   I have a 1949 Times (because Olivia DeHavilland is on the cover for The Snake Pit),  but inside it talks about the new jazz style Bebop.   A lot of negative comments about this crazy new type of music.  

So yea, all 'new' music will be put down by the establishment.   But I still say disco sucks (but to your point,  rap sucks even more).

I've heard all those before, and it HASN'T changed MY mind.

I still think it sucks, but if YOU like it, fine with me. 

I like all sorts of music, but disco just never won me over.  Either did the popular "bossa nova" beat in the '60's.

"Electronica" grinds my gears, too.  After years of listening to the brilliance of BEAVER and KRAUSE, TOMITA, KARLHEINZ STOCKHAUSEN,  DAVID AMRAM,  WENDY(Walter) CARLOS, MAURICE JARRE, JOSEF ZAWINUL and their ilk, to refer to that simple minded directionless synthesized "club music" as "Electronic music" is a SHAM!  AND an insult to the forementioned artists.

Oh, and I forgot to mention JAN HAMMER( PRE "Miami Vice")

Sepiatone

You've heard ALL those before? I find that hard to believe. Many are pretty obscure, even to disco fans.

Have you listened to any of the tracks I just listed?

You've heard ALL those before? I find that hard to believe. Many are pretty obscure, even to disco fans.

And you know what?

It's just like when they started re-issuing old vinyl LPs onto compact disc---Often, a "re-issue" would try to attract buyer's with the claim that there's "previously unreleased tracks." on them.

Of course, a quick listen let's the listener know just WHY they were previously unreleased.  Likely the SAME reason that many of the songs you listed are OBSCURE, even to FANS of the genre!

Sepiatone

And you know what?

It's just like when they started re-issuing old vinyl LPs onto compact disc---Often, a "re-issue" would try to attract buyer's with the claim that there's "previously unreleased tracks." on them.

Of course, a quick listen let's the listener know just WHY they were previously unreleased.  Likely the SAME reason that many of the songs you listed are OBSCURE, even to FANS of the genre!

Sepiatone

Like disco, people thinks LP's are dead.....NOT!

Modern high end turntables

IMG_8191.JPG

This Clearaudio Ovation cost $6,500.00 :o

CLOVCL_SILWOO.jpg

And you know what?

Sepiatone

In this instance, I'd rather have you spending your time listening than posting. Are you aware that "Machine" was August Darnell's band between Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band and Kid Creole and the Coconuts? Same sort of sound, which you'd notice if you listened to "There but for...............".

I listened to a few tracks.   I don't like this type of music and wouldn't listen to it if I was paid to do so.

I just realized why you guys didn't like my list. Because I inadvertently omitted Loleatta Holloway's "Hit and Run". Now you'll all change your tune.

I just realized why you guys didn't like my list. Because I inadvertently omitted Loleatta Holloway's "Hit and Run". Now you'll all change your tune.

Below is an example of what I have listen to today:

Tal Farlow -  The More I See You

West Montgomery -  Full House

Jimmy Raney - Tangerine

I'm not going to change my tune and start listening to disco.  

CB has not died either, just had the radio on yesterday and half the channels were active with "skip".  People doing this are generally illegal operators that can face a $100,000.00 fine and confiscation of equipment by the FCC if caught.

Below is an example of what I have listen to today:

Tal Farlow -  The More I See You

West Montgomery -  Full House

Jimmy Raney - Tangerine

I'm not going to change my tune and start listening to disco.  

Maybe we can meet in the middle. If you're a jazz fan, I'm sure you like Herbie Hancock. Listen to some tracks from Hancock's r&b-oriented "Monster", especially "Saturday Night". Not disco, but danceable..

Maybe we can meet in the middle. If you're a jazz fan, I'm sure you like Herbie Hancock. Listen to some tracks from Hancock's r&b-oriented "Monster", especially "Saturday Night". Not disco, but danceable..

You want "Danceable" Herbie Hancock?

Try "Hang Up Your Hang-Ups" from the "Man-Child" CD.

Sepiatone

Most of the time I do NOT listen to music that is danceable because, well,  I"M NOT DANCING!     (this is the similar to a discussion I have with my wife,  when I change her music and she says 'well that is great dancing music' and I say,  'I'm sure it is but we are in the CAR,  so I'm changing it!').

I listen to music mostly to hear how the soloist handles the chord changes.  I know the chord changes and this is how I improve my own playing.  By listening to a master solo over them   (since I'm only a so-so jazz musician).

Hey,  if I'm in the mood to dance (say I was in a dance club),  I would want to hear disco \ dance music.    The last thing I would want to hear is bebop jazz music.     

As for Hancock;   I'm not a fan of his funk \ danceable music,  but I like his pure jazz stuff.  Most of the time fusion music is the worst of both world!   So IF I'm in the mood to dance I listen to early Madonna.   Why?    This is the music that was playing in the few years I went to clubs to dance and try to pick up on women.    

I listen to music mostly to hear how the soloist handles the chord changes.  I know the chord changes and this is how I improve my own playing.  By listening to a master solo over them   (since I'm only a so-so jazz musician).

Hey,  if I'm in the mood to dance (say I was in a dance club),  I would want to hear disco \ dance music.    The last thing I would want to hear is bebop jazz music.     

As for Hancock;   I'm not a fan of his funk \ danceable music,  but I like his pure jazz stuff.  Most of the time fusion music is the worst of both world!   So IF I'm in the mood to dance I listen to early Madonna.   Why?    This is the music that was playing in the few years I went to clubs to dance and try to pick up on women.    

I love disco and listen to it all the time. Especially when I am doing cardio. In many ways, disco evolved from funk which I was raised on. Things is I tend to listen to album tracks instead of the big hits.

And I also love jazz, real jazz not "smooth jazz". That's elevator music its so bland !. If I want to hear chord changes and orchestration, that's what I listen to.

I feel different styles of music all serve a purpose. And today I listen to so many styles on my cell. I like the freedom music can give you. 

What I don't like is when an artist tries to venture into music he/she knows nothing about. I don't need to hear Herbie Hancock disco for example. Or when an artist tries to "get up with the times" and make something new that just stinks.

Now, you want some jazz that will make you move, get into some hard bop. You will find some nice grooves in there.

Archived