Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Worst movies ever made/ So bad they are funny

I just saw 'Prehistoric Women' for the first time on TCM today.  It belongs in the Category: Worst Movies Ever Made.  Better yet, it should be in the sub-category: So Bad They are Funny, with 'The Conqueror' starring John Wayne, and "The Tartars" with Victor Mature/Orson Welles (Yes Orson is in this dog).

Since the latter two films are about the same characters in different time periods, but different casting.  I would suggest TCM put them together for holiday/weekend viewing as: World's Worst Double-Feature.

My favorites of these are  The Giant Claw (giant vulture from an anti-matter universe comes to our universe to lay her eggs (whaaat?) and starts attacking planes) Night of the Lepus (giant mutant bunnies terrorize a small western town, with Janet Leigh rocking disco pants at 45) and The Killer Shrews (mutant shrews (dogs with bath carpets on their backs) lay seige to a small group of people on an island).

• Like 1

Currently viewing "One Million Years BC".  Never watched it before.  Utterly absurd but Raquel is quite watchable.   This is such a bad movie that there is no dialog except grunts apparently.  Too bad to be even funny.  So bad it has cult status I believe.  Not sure if I can watch till the end.  Must have cost about $100 to make it.

My favorites of these are  The Giant Claw (giant vulture from an anti-matter universe comes to our universe to lay her eggs (whaaat?) and starts attacking planes) Night of the Lepus (giant mutant bunnies terrorize a small western town, with Janet Leigh rocking disco pants at 45) and The Killer Shrews (mutant shrews (dogs with bath carpets on their backs) lay seige to a small group of people on an island).

Killer Shrews!!! These are the kind of movies I love to watch when I need a laugh. I have one of those 50 box DVD sets with all sorts of bad movies. Little Shops of Horrors is a fave, most any Roger Corman.

I just saw 'Prehistoric Women' for the first time on TCM today.  It belongs in the Category: Worst Movies Ever Made.  Better yet, it should be in the sub-category: So Bad They are Funny, with 'The Conqueror' starring John Wayne, and "The Tartars" with Victor Mature/Orson Welles (Yes Orson is in this dog).

Since the latter two films are about the same characters in different time periods, but different casting.  I would suggest TCM put them together for holiday/weekend viewing as: World's Worst Double-Feature.

"Trog" (1970), Joan Crawford must have been hitting to booze to do that one.  Ah, long gone the glamour days of Hollywood. LOL!

trog-joan-doll.png

• Like 3

I love Xanadu! I also second the vote for Reefer Madness.  Hilarious.

I'd like to nominate my favorite-- UHF starring Weird Al Yankovich.  Amazing film with low production values and cheesy sight gags.  Love it!

• Like 1

In the usual ways that "so bad it's sublime" is thought of, Reefer Madness would be an easy winner.

But with the pretentiousness factor added in, My Dinner With Andre wins in a walk.

Thank you for mentioning what I was hesitant to state, AndyM.  In my earlier days I recall seeing many glowing reviews of MDWA, including one of the original Siskel & Ebert shows.  For whatever reason I never watched the movie until I caught it on TCM just this past year, and I couldn't believe how disappointing it was.  My initial thought was perhaps it just didn't age well, but I'm not sure how all the new age discussion could have ever been convincing.  Unfortunately for me I didn't find it to be bad to the point of approaching funny, as I mostly just felt lost while watching it.

great idea

For me THE KILLER SHREWS hilarity isn't about the silly dog's costumes, but the idea the people try escaping by crab walking through the "shrews" under metal garbage drums!

And NIGHT OF THE LEPUS is particularly funny when there is a close up of a cute bunny face with the big cheeks chewing carrots (in slow motion to make it seem BIGGER) with weird unearthly growling noises added on!

"Monster" movies of the 50's-60's were low budget cheap stuff anyway. They knew they weren't making "art", just crankin' it out for the teen drive-in crowd. 

What I find much funnier is the "serious" movies that are just awful misses, like the afore mentioned "DINNER".

• Like 1

Sound of Music. No contest.

There's another one "The Green Slime" (1968), don't know what's more laughable, the monster or the special effects.

The+Green+Slime+(Lobby+Card+5)+1969.jpg

greenslime8.jpg

Is that a rocket or a submarine?

55b4ea4d860272d1affe12c911d368b0.jpg

Who built the space station...Hasbro?vlcsnap-2010-11-07-15h33m55s123.png

slime1.jpg

• Like 1

While a list of contenders is surprisingly large (some are mentioned here), for me the prize goes to THE CREEPING TERROR(1963?). You gotta love a movie where a slow moving quilt from outer space slithers along causing havoc to the countryside around Lake Tahoe. It even manages to eat many of the attendees of a record hop in a school gym. Despite having no visible limbs (except from the humans involved in the mechanics of its motion, inadvertently filmed), it's spaceship features knobs made to be operated by hands similar to our own. Best of all, most of the story is narrated, with some cheesy piano music, and an occasional call of "Bobby", because the soundtrack was lost, and there was no money to dub in the dialogue.

I used to love to watch it as a kid on KCOP Channel 13, in their "Saturday night at 11, Sunday afternoon at 3" weekend movie series.

Currently viewing "One Million Years BC".  Never watched it before.  Utterly absurd but Raquel is quite watchable.   This is such a bad movie that there is no dialog except grunts apparently.  Too bad to be even funny.  So bad it has cult status I believe.  Not sure if I can watch till the end.  Must have cost about $100 to make it.

Like I said, with Raquel Welch on the set, who needs dialogue?

While a list of contenders is surprisingly large (some are mentioned here), for me the prize goes to THE CREEPING TERROR (1963?). You gotta love a movie where a slow moving quilt from outer space slithers along causing havoc to the countryside around Lake Tahoe. It even manages to eat many of the attendees of a record hop in a school gym.

That one was featured on MST3K. The comments made during the dance scenes were as side-splittingly funny as anything I've ever heard.

• Like 1

Like I said, with Raquel Welch on the set, who needs dialogue?

That movie played my neighborhood theater where I was an usher back in '67. One of the other ushers would stand at the top of the aisle watching and drooling every night at the bare-legged, gams-gifted Raquel as she trudged around in that dumb picture. He was s-m-i-t-t-e-n.

He told me several times about how "she's perfect". He couldn't stop saying it.

• Like 1

Little Shops of Horrors is a fave, most any Roger Corman.

I don't think that's a so-bad-it's-funny film, it's just plain ol' great and hilarious. The script is a standout, it's really clever. I watched it recently on TCM for the first time since I was a kid and I was taken by surprise.

One film that jumps to the front of my mind is Hell Squad (1986). A team of Vegas babes become special forces commandos for some reason I forget. They spend most of their time cruising in a jeep and taking group baths (at which times the phone, on the other side of the room, invariably rings.) Very silly and funny, with many more draws than just the over-the-top sexy stuff.

(P.S. I feel inclined to jump to the defense of My Dinner With Andre. I really liked it when I watched it recently. Though maybe if you dislike Andre as a person it would diminish the enjoyment. Remind you too much of someone you've met, maybe?)