Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The most irritating Christmas movie ever.

slaytonf

Since I have only the finest tuned radar for screening out terrible X-mas movies in advance, and so have managed to avoid all of them, I'll just list my three favorite holiday films instead.  They're all sentimental but in a genuine way:

1. It's a Wonderful Life. 

2. Christmas in Connecticut

3. Miracle on 34th Street

Funny that these all are from the mid-40's.  I'm not sure it's a coincidence.

Oh, and an honorable mention for the original Home Alone, which is pretty stupid in a funny sort of way, or vice versa. :)

• Like 2

Holiday Affair is a great Christmas movie-one of my favorites.  Little sappy, but they're supposed to be.   Ending it after Mitchum's Christmas speech would not have made sense at all.  BTW, it was later made into a TV production which is still available on DVD.  Follows the script as precisely as they could for TV then.  Which shows how good the story is.

A Christmas Story is a Classic under any definition.  Doesn't TBS or some other network show it 24/7 on Christmas Day?  Must be a reason.  And you can shoot your eye out as is almost demonstrated in the movie itself.  The ricochet from the BB Ralphie shoots hits his glasses. BTW, if you haven't seen the entire movie, how can you say the whole movie is bad or "most irritating?"  I'm sure Darren McGavin would have disagreed with you about the movie.

Watched It's a Wonderful Life once or twice and never have cared for it.  But obviously a lot of people must like it.  I have this problem with a lot of Jimmy Stewart movies though.  He seems too intense or something, whether it's comedy, drama, western or whatever.  

• Like 2

Since I have only the finest tuned radar for screening out terrible X-mas movies in advance, and so have managed to avoid all of them, I'll just list my three favorite holiday films instead.  They're all sentimental but in a genuine way:

1. It's a Wonderful Life. 

2. Christmas in Connecticut

3. Miracle on 34th Street

Funny that these all are from the mid-40's.  I'm not sure it's a coincidence.

Oh, and an honorable mention for the original Home Alone, which is pretty stupid in a funny sort of way, or vice versa. :)

I'm genuinely surprised at the HATE some have in HERE...a "Classic movie" forum, for IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.

I remember mymother telling me SHE went to go see it when it came out, and left the theater wondering just what kind of movie it was supposed to be.  She DID say SHE "kind of" liked it, and was surprised that years later, by the late 1960's, when one of our local TV stations would regularily show it as a Christmas feature, that ANYone would think of it AS a "Christmas movie".

And anyway, the first ten minutes has it coming off as a "Flashback" type movie, the "review" of George Bailey's life and the incidents that lead him to contemplate suicide, before he's interferred with by a supernatural intercession. 

That some of the people who claim they CAN'T make it past the first ten minutes of this movie, but in other threads make it clear they have NO problem plodding through the first tedious ten minutes of a snoozer like VERTIGO leads me to believe they're just trying to excersize their "Snide and snarky movie critic" skills.

I also wonder why all the "snark" heaped on A CHRISTMAS STORY.

Since my Mom was 14 years old at the time the STORY in this movie is supposed to take place, she said they DID get the look pretty accurate, which is more than she can claim about a LOT of these type of movies.

Plus, I'm willing to bet that a LOT of this movie's nay-sayers can possibly relate to it in a sort of way...

I bet a LOT of us remember Christmases when we DEEPLY wished for some gift of a TOY or some other such thing.  For ME it was a "Palladin" cap gun and holster set.  complete with that little holster in the buckle that held the DERRINGER!!  I never DID get it, but I could relate to Ralphie's desire and whistful wishing.

Sepiatone

I bet a LOT of us remember Christmases when we DEEPLY wished for some gift of a TOY or some other such thing.  For ME it was a "Palladin" cap gun and holster set.  complete with that little holster in the buckle that held the DERRINGER!!  I never DID get it, but I could relate to Ralphie's desire and whistful wishing.

Sepiatone

Bet you could find one on eBay!  BTW, I remember actually seeing those sets in the toy department of the department stores.

I'm genuinely surprised at the HATE some have in HERE...a "Classic movie" forum, for IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.

I remember mymother telling me SHE went to go see it when it came out, and left the theater wondering just what kind of movie it was supposed to be.  She DID say SHE "kind of" liked it, and was surprised that years later, by the late 1960's, when one of our local TV stations would regularily show it as a Christmas feature, that ANYone would think of it AS a "Christmas movie".

And anyway, the first ten minutes has it coming off as a "Flashback" type movie, the "review" of George Bailey's life and the incidents that lead him to contemplate suicide, before he's interferred with by a supernatural intercession. 

That some of the people who claim they CAN'T make it past the first ten minutes of this movie, but in other threads make it clear they have NO problem plodding through the first tedious ten minutes of a snoozer like VERTIGO leads me to believe they're just trying to excersize their "Snide and snarky movie critic" skills.

I also wonder why all the "snark" heaped on A CHRISTMAS STORY.

Since my Mom was 14 years old at the time the STORY in this movie is supposed to take place, she said they DID get the look pretty accurate, which is more than she can claim about a LOT of these type of movies.

Plus, I'm willing to bet that a LOT of this movie's nay-sayers can possibly relate to it in a sort of way...

Sepiatone

Where is this hate for IAWL?   

Didn't you read where Andy posted:    I'll just list my three favorite holiday films instead. 

It is one of his 3 favorite movies,  NOT one that he hates.

BUT,  now that this is settled,  I will say that I find the Jimmy character in IAWL annoying.   

Where is this hate for IAWL?   

Didn't you read where Andy posted:    I'll just list my three favorite holiday films instead. 

It is one of his 3 favorite movies,  NOT one that he hates.

BUT,  now that this is settled,  I will say that I find the Jimmy character in IAWL annoying.   

Go to page 2 of this thread. A few posters wrote they can't stand IAWL

Go to page 2 of this thread. A few posters wrote they can't stand IAWL

Well, like I said earlier....THAT'S 'cause they need a freakin' HEART-TRANSPLANT!!! LOL ;)

And btw James, I've always thought Jimmy played the part perfectly, and no less an "authority" on acting than Dustin Hoffman once alluded to while presenting some honor to Jimmy, and when he said, "Jimmy Stewart's George Bailey is so perfect that you'll never see better acting done by anyone in any picture!"(or words to that effect)

(...ALL the various emotions a person would go through is his character's-THOUGH yes, contrived-situation, "over-the-top"?!...no way Jose!) 

Well, like I said earlier....THAT'S 'cause they need a freakin' HEART-TRANSPLANT!!! LOL ;)

(...and btw James, I've always thought Jimmy played the part perfectly...and ALL the various emotions a person would go through is his character's-THOUGH yes, contrived-situations..."over-the-top"?!...no way Jose!) 

I agree, Jimmy was great, so was Donna and everyone in the cast. A+ and the film is a favorite of mine as is Miracle on 34th Street, XMAS in Connecticut, White XMAS, Holiday Inn. I also think Home Alone is a fun film

I agree, Jimmy was great, so was Donna and everyone in the cast. A+ and the film is a favorite of mine as is Miracle on 34th Street, XMAS in Connecticut, White XMAS, Holiday Inn. I also think Home Alone is a fun film.

Hmmmmm...now ya see I was reminded this very morning while watching NBC's Today Show and during a segment they ran about "favorite holiday fare" and after a clip they ran of "Home Alone", that I was never a big fan of that movie.

(...found it "cute" the one and only time I watched it, but not much more than that...I guess seein' little Macaulay doing his Skrik's "The Scream" painting impression once was enough for me)

Hmmmmm...now ya see I was reminded this very morning while watching NBC's Today Show and during a segment they ran about "favorite holiday fare" and after a clip they ran of "Home Alone", that I was never a big fan of that movie.

(...found it "cute" the one and only time I watched it, but not much more than that...I guess seein' little Macaulay doing his Skrik's "The Scream" painting impression once was enough for me)

Well, I do enjoy the film and I guess Andy does also, since he mentioned it in his post :) But I'm a sucker for a few of John Hughes' films.

Well, the thread title did ask us what Christmas movie we find irritating. Not sure about "all the HATE" you're referring to.

But, as I indicated in my only post, the sap content is a little too high for me. Different people like different amounts of syrup. Some of us have diabetes you know.*

* think about THAT, Dargo - when you talk about people having defective hearts.

• Like 1

I'll just come out and say, it, I have never seen It's a Wonderful Life.  I am going to remedy that this year though.  While I don't mind sweet films, it depends on the type of sappiness it is.  Hallmark Channel sappiness is a no-go for me; but if the sappiness seems geniune, then I can usually handle it and while I don't dislike Jimmy Stewart in any way, sometimes for me, a little of him can go a long way-- depends what type of character he is playing.  I think I liked him better in the "more mature" part of his career.  Anyway, I look forward to seeing what all the hype and "non-hype" is about. 

Films though that I find irritating:

Bad Santa.  I don't have an issue with raunchy humor, but there wasn't anything funny about this film.  While the idea of Santa being grossly inappropriate is kind of funny, it wasn't in this film.  I don't know what it was about it that didn't work for me, but I don't feel compelled to watch it again.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the live action one).  First off, they took a 30-min cartoon (or a children's picture book) and stretched it out to a two hour length.  They filled in the Grinch's backstory.  I know this is a theme that I'm exploring in another thread, but I just didn't like where they went with this one.  I always figured that the Whos banished the Grinch to the mountaintops because he was a jerk.  Instead, in the live action film, we're told he exiled himself there after being taunted relentlessly by the Whos because he looked different than they did.  Suddenly, the story became more about the Grinch seeking revenge instead of him just hating Christmas and the Whos' incessant singing of "Welcome Christmas." I believe the live action film also accuses the Whos of being materialistic; whereas in the cartoon, it is obvious that the Grinch assumes that Christmas is only about the gifts until he hears the Whos singing Christmas carols despite all their decorations and gifts being stolen.  It is then when his heart grows three sizes and he finds the strength of 1000 Grinches + 2 and saves the gifts from falling off the mountain.  Having him discover this and coming down the mountain and returning the gifts and being made the guest of honor in the cartoon is a much more satisfying conclusion than the one offered in the live action film.  In the live action film, the Whos plead with him to return to Whoville and he is eventually made guest of honor at the feast.  All these changes/additions to the plot are just too much of a variation on Dr. Seuss' original tale. 

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.  The Claymation special from the 1960s.  I like the other classic Christmas specials that came out during this decade (Charlie Brown, Grinch, Frosty) but I don't like this one.  The voices of the reindeers are irritating.  Hermey the elf who wants to be a dentist is really annoying.  The only characters I like are: The Snowman; The Abominable Snowman and The Misfit toys. 

Jingle All the Way. While I like Phil Hartman, I'm not a fan of Schwarzenegger.  He gets on my nerves.  Though, what this film does do well is capture how ridiculous some people act during Christmas especially when it involves purchasing a coveted toy for their child.  The exorbitant price hikes when purchasing items from toy scalpers, the fighting in the store, everything.  Isn't Sinbad in this movie too?  I wonder whatever happened to him? For some reason, 20 years later, this film is somewhat of a cult classic among younger generations.  Kind of like what Hocus Pocus has become for Halloween. 

I have to agree with the consensus on the 1938 A Christmas Carol.  It  was so boring.  The kids were so annoying.  My favorite version of this story is A Muppet Christmas Carol

My last entry for this list: Every single Christmas-themed movie ever produced for The Hallmark Channel.  ::gag:: There are not enough words to describe how much I loathe the films that The Hallmark Channel produces. 

• Like 1

I'll just come out and say, it, I have never seen It's a Wonderful Life.  I am going to remedy that this year though.  While I don't mind sweet films, it depends on the type of sappiness it is.  Hallmark Channel sappiness is a no-go for me; but if the sappiness seems geniune, then I can usually handle it and while I don't dislike Jimmy Stewart in any way, sometimes for me, a little of him can go a long way-- depends what type of character he is playing.  I think I liked him better in the "more mature" part of his career.  Anyway, I look forward to seeing what all the hype and "non-hype" is about. 

Bad Santa.  I don't have an issue with raunchy humor, but there wasn't anything funny about this film.  While the idea of Santa being grossly inappropriate is kind of funny, it wasn't in this film.  I don't know what it was about it that didn't work for me, but I don't feel compelled to watch it again.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the live action one).  First off, they took a 30-min cartoon (or a children's picture book) and stretched it out to a two hour length.  They filled in the Grinch's backstory.  I know this is a theme that I'm exploring in another thread, but I just didn't like where they went with this one.  I always figured that the Whos banished the Grinch to the mountaintops because he was a jerk.  Instead, in the live action film, we're told he exiled himself there after being taunted relentlessly by the Whos because he looked different than they did.  Suddenly, the story became more about the Grinch seeking revenge instead of him just hating Christmas and the Whos' incessant singing of "Welcome Christmas." I believe the live action film also accuses the Whos of being materialistic; whereas in the cartoon, it is obvious that the Grinch assumes that Christmas is only about the gifts until he hears the Whos singing Christmas carols despite all their decorations and gifts being stolen.  It is then when his heart grows three sizes and he finds the strength of 1000 Grinches + 2 and saves the gifts from falling off the mountain.  Having him discover this and coming down the mountain and returning the gifts and being made the guest of honor in the cartoon is a much more satisfying conclusion than the one offered in the live action film.  In the live action film, the Whos plead with him to return to Whoville and he is eventually made guest of honor at the feast.  All these changes/additions to the plot are just too much of a variation on Dr. Seuss' original tale. 

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.  The Claymation special from the 1960s.  I like the other classic Christmas specials that came out during this decade (Charlie Brown, Grinch, Frosty) but I don't like this one.  The voices of the reindeers are irritating.  Hermey the elf who wants to be a dentist is really annoying.  The only characters I like are: The Snowman; The Abominable Snowman and The Misfit toys. 

Jingle All the Way. While I like Phil Hartman, I'm not a fan of Schwarzenegger.  He gets on my nerves.  Though, what this film does do well is capture how ridiculous some people act during Christmas especially when it involves purchasing a coveted toy for their child.  The exorbitant price hikes when purchasing items from toy scalpers, the fighting in the store, everything.  Isn't Sinbad in this movie too?  I wonder whatever happened to him? For some reason, 20 years later, this film is somewhat of a cult classic among younger generations.  Kind of like what Hocus Pocus has become for Halloween. 

I have to agree with the consensus on the 1938 A Christmas Carol.  It  was so boring.  The kids were so annoying.  My favorite version of this story is A Muppet Christmas Carol

My last entry for this list: Every single Christmas-themed movie ever produced for The Hallmark Channel.  ::gag:: There are not enough words to describe how much I loathe the films that The Hallmark Channel produces. 

You must see the 1951 version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL, brilliant, wonderful film. Alastair Sim's performance as Scrooge is priceless. I don't find the 1938 boring at all, and I think it's a good film, most here know the 1951 version so the 1938 version in comparison is what most are talking about when they write they are disappointed that the '38 version was chosen instead to be aired this month.

I'll just come out and say, it, I have never seen It's a Wonderful Life.  I am going to remedy that this year though.  

Whatever you do, watch it without commercials. I am guessing the DVD is very cheap by now.

And don't get cynical about the part where Mary is portrayed as a spinster if she didn't marry George, because that is b-o-l-l-o-c-k-s. :lol:

Enjoy. It was much more enjoyable before it went to NBC and we the viewing audience became a bunch of jaded prats.

I'll just come out and say, it, I have never seen It's a Wonderful Life.  I am going to remedy that this year though.  

Whatever you do, watch it without commercials. I am guessing the DVD is very cheap by now.

And don't get cynical about the part where Mary is portrayed as a spinster if she didn't marry George, because that is ****. :lol:

Enjoy. It was much more enjoyable before it went to NBC and we the viewing audience became a bunch of jaded prats.

I actually have the DVD.  I got it for $7.  I have a two-disc version that has the original b&w version and a colorized one. 

Good to know about Spinster Mary.  I have a pretty good hunch that if Donna Reed didn't marry James Stewart, she'd probably be able to meet and marry another man.  I doubt Stewart married her out of pity or thinking he was doing her a favor.  Lol.  I'm speculating, I haven't even seen the movie, but I have seen Donna Reed. 

• Like 1

You must see the 1951 version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL, brilliant, wonderful film. Alistair Sim's performance as Scrooge is priceless. I don't find the 1938 boring at all, and I think it's a good film, most here know the 1951 version so the 1938 version in comparison is what most are talking about when they write they are disappointed that the '38 version was chosen instead to be aired this month.

I haven't seen the '51 version.  I'll try to keep an eye out for it.  There are so many versions of that film and the general story is so well known, it is interesting to see different directors/actors/etc. interpretations of it.  Thank you for the recommendation!

I haven't seen the '51 version.  I'll try to keep an eye out for it.  There are so many versions of that film and the general story is so well known, it is interesting to see different directors/actors/etc. interpretations of it.  Thank you for the recommendation!

You're Very Welcome and I don't think you'll be disappointed ;)

• Like 1

:o

You haven't seen It's A Wonderful Life and you haven't seen the one, the only Christmas Carol, the best ever, the 1951 one with Sim?

I envy you. YOU are in a for a treat. Take the phone off the hook - ugh, rather, shut down your cellphone, bring the dog out for a walk, dim the lights, stock up on some treats, and rack up the tapes - DVDs, whatever, and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Well, the thread title did ask us what Christmas movie we find irritating. Not sure about "all the HATE" you're referring to.

But, as I indicated in my only post, the sap content is a little too high for me. Different people like different amounts of syrup. Some of us have diabetes you know.*

* think about THAT, Dargo - when you talk about people having defective hearts.

I don't know why that it seems a lot of people seem to forget about all the great little comedic moments and dialogue played by many of the greatest characters actors Hollywood ever produced, and that there are also a lot of dark and serious moments well depicted in IAWL about how our lives can go astray at times, and which are definitely NOT "sappy" and which are also much of the movie other than some admittedly "sappy" idea of "an angel being set down from Heaven to save us".

Nope, seems to me many people who poo-poo this movie never seem to mention those aspects of the film.

(...and now, if we have anyone here who believes in angels, please bare with me here and don't take offense...I'm trying to reach the "heart" AND "mind" of a certain dude here, THAT'S all...yeah, it's probably a useless quest here, but HEY anyone familiar with my usual M.O. around this place should know I occasionally take up "lost causes"!!!) LOL

;)

I can't stand It's a Wonderful Life; it was the first film that sprang to mind upon seeing the thread title.  Second is Love, Actually.

IAWL is just relentlessly bleak, with George perpetually trapped in his life, and then we see these nonsensical visions of what life would have been like without him*, and then we get the most sickeningly sweet ending tacked on.  I find it disjointed.  I never much cared for Friends, but got stuck watching it a few times, one of which was made better by Phoebe trying to get through the film and declaring they should have called it It's a Sucky Life, and Just When You Think it Can't Suck Anymore, it Does!

*The worst story is Mary's.  First of all, she'd have married Sam, and probably be quite content in New York.  Regardless, I'm flabbergasted by the notion her "spinster" life was such a horrible fate.  As someone on another forum said, in a town full of disarray, she's an educated and employed woman.  So the problem is, what, exactly?

And, fundamentally, why would he want to go back to this life filled with people whose never-ending demands on him are the reason his dreams didn't come true?  I'd rather be in Pottersville, and take that trip around the world. 

• Like 1

*The worst story is Mary's.  First of all, she'd have married Sam, and probably be quite content in New York.  Regardless, I'm flabbergasted by the notion her "spinster" life was such a horrible fate.  As someone on another forum said, in a town full of disarray, she's an educated and employed woman.  So the problem is, what, exactly?

My guess was always because Wainwright "couldn't keep it in his pants"(remember the hot blonde standing next to him while he's on the phone with Mary and George?) , Mary would one day catch her betrothed Mr. "HEE-Haw" "in delecto flagrante" with some other broad...errr...woman, and so Mary would go into a major tailspin after that, return to Pottersville in disgust, and become a hardened proto-Feminist and with her favorite saying being, "A women needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"!!!

(...so glad I could enlighten you to this...OH and btw, just in case you're wonderin'...Nick the Bartender is the ONLY guy who has it better in Pottersville than in Bedford Falls...'cause Mr. "Look at me, I'm givin' out wings" OWNS the bar in Pottersville instead of Mr. Martini, and business looks a WHOLE lot better for Nick than it every did for the Italian guy!!!)

• Like 1

:o

You haven't seen It's A Wonderful Life and you haven't seen the one, the only Christmas Carol, the best ever, the 1951 one with Sim?

I envy you. YOU are in a for a treat. Take the phone off the hook - ugh, rather, shut down your cellphone, bring the dog out for a walk, dim the lights, stock up on some treats, and rack up the tapes - DVDs, whatever, and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Thanks Primos! I thought I had seen a lot of movies until I became more active on this board and learned that there are TONS of movies I haven't seen that I'd like to. I appreciate that people here are nice and willing to offer recommendations on their favorite films.  From all the recommendations I've taken people up on, I haven't been disappointed.  I just found the 1951 'Christmas Carol' on Netflix and added it to my queue.  I also just realized how dense I am on literature apparently, I did not realize that A Christmas Carol was a Charles Dickens novel.  Wow.  Go me.  Lol.  In addition to watching more movies, I apparently also need to read more.  Unfortunately for me, these two activities do not go hand in hand.