Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Remembers (about the house--just the house)

slaytonf

Might as well start a thread about this.  There's one every year.  Just have random thoughts.  Anyone know the house used to represent the great beyond?

It continually surprises me how many greats we lose every year.  You'd think they were all gone by now.

Ann Carter.  Though she didn't have any sort of career, she holds a special place in my Pantheon for her performance in Curse of the Cat People.  In my estimation the finest performance by a child actor.

• Like 1

Might as well start a thread about this.  There's one every year.  Just have random thoughts.  Anyone know the house used to represent the great beyond?

It continually surprises me how many greats we lose every year.  You'd think they were all gone by now.

Ann Carter.  Though she didn't have any sort of career, she holds a special place in my Pantheon for her performance in Curse of the Cat People.  In my estimation the finest performance by a child actor.

https://www.facebook.com/tcmtv

Many thanks to staff at the Atlanta History Center. We are so glad to have filmed at the Swan House.

Saddest for me was Philip Seymour Hoffman.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

OK, I'm going to revive this thread for 2015, it's getting to be the end of the year....

Without including those talents behind the camera, we lost a number of really great stars this past year:

Maureen O'Hara

Lizabeth Scott

Robin Williams 

Christpher Lee

Jayne Meadows

Louis Jordan

Omar Sharif

But I think particularly sad are those we watch grow up in the movies, beloved child actors such as Dick Moore. Truly great.

We've seen enough of these to know the very last frame of REMEMBERS will be the star who made the biggest impact on film.  

I predict Shirley Temple will be waving good-bye, smiling to us riding away in a carriage or walking through a doorway.

Shirley not only made a huge impact in film, but our culture as well.

• Like 1

Joan Leslie--underrated actress/dancer

Nova Pilbeam--for those unacquainted with her work, she is best known for a British Hitchcock film, "The Girl Was Young" is its TCM title; my copy of the film is titled "Young and Innocent (1937 is the year of release, whatever the title), and two anti Nazi films, both excellent; "Pastor Hall" (1940) & "Yellow Canary" (1944).  PH is a Fox film, so I don't expect to see it any time soon, but YC has aired on TCM before;  TGWY/YAI & YC would make a good tribute to this forgotten actress--her work is too good to be forgotten, IMHO.

• Like 1

OK, I'm going to revive this thread for 2015, it's getting to be the end of the year....

Without including those talents behind the camera, we lost a number of really great stars this past year:

Maureen O'Hara

Lizabeth Scott

Robin Williams 

Christpher Lee

Jayne Meadows

Louis Jordan

Omar Sharif

But I think particularly sad are those we watch grow up in the movies, beloved child actors such as Dick Moore. Truly great.

We've seen enough of these to know the very last frame of REMEMBERS will be the star who made the biggest impact on film.  

I predict Shirley Temple will be waving good-bye, smiling to us riding away in a carriage or walking through a doorway.

Shirley died in Feb 2014 and I think she was at the end of last year's TCM Remembers. Based on the list here I imagine O'Hara will be the last image, but who knows.

Maureen O'Hara

Lizabeth Scott

Robin Williams 

Christpher Lee

Jayne Meadows

Louis Jordan

Omar Sharif

Shirley Temple and Robin Williams died the previous year.  Actually, Shirley did close out the TCM Remembers 2014. 

While I would love to see the 2015 segment close out with Rod Taylor in his time machine, it will likely be Maureen in the last frame and deservedly so.

• Like 1

Shirley died in Feb 2014 and I think she was at the end of last year's TCM Remembers. Based on the list here I imagine O'Hara will be the last image, but who knows. 

Oops. guess Shirley leaving us made such an impact, it feels like yesterday.

I agree, O'Hara will most likely be the last frame.

I feel it would be best if they simply picked out some long hald classical "requiem" type music to be played over short montages of the deceased's filmology or a clip of their best known role.(they could just show stills from the films) All this nonsense about trying to pick out "locations" at which to film these tributes only leads to pretentious discussions as to whether or not the location was "fitting".  OR if the mediocre "indie" music was the right pick.

I also think there's nothing wrong with the deaths being presented chronologically.  And, IF done that way, Maureen is surely to be shown before David Canary.  And, NOT to sound creepy----

There's still TIME!  :ph34r:

Sepiatone

I am of the opinion that there is way more to like about TCM than there is to criticize incessantly.  How many doom and gloom chicken little posts can a single person write about TCM's scheduling.  For some, that appears to be an infinite number.

That said, I don't like the memorial tribute spots that TCM produces.  The music is too morose and those shots of estates make it all look like we are about to watch a ghost movie like the Innocents.

Why not be more upbeat and celebrate the achievements of these people?  i suppose I may be coming at it from the same modern angle of people applauding at a memorial.  

But thank you TCM for having these memorial spots in the first place!  Very thoughtful.

"Smile though your heart is breaking"

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings