Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What movies should have had a sequel/prequel?

speedracer5

We've all watched movies where the film ends and you wonder, "hmm, I wonder what happened after this?" Or, on the flipside, the film seems to start in the middle of the action, and you wonder "I wonder how these characters got to this point?" Lately, it seems that Disney has been trying to fill in the blanks with films such as Oz: The Great and Powerful which offered an explanation of how the Wizard got to Oz, how the witches became the way they were, why Glinda lived in a different other part of Oz, etc.  Maleficient offered a more thorough explanation as to why Maleficient was so upset that she wasn't invited to Aurora's christening. 

I would have loved to have seen more to The Adventures of Robin Hood, with the current cast: Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Claude Rains, et. al.  I would have loved to have seen what happened with King Richard recovered his throne.  Would Prince John try to come back? Is Robin Hood and Marian living in their own castle or are they still in Sherwood Forest? If Robin Hood is gone, did Will Scarlett or Little John take over? Or did Robin Hood bring all the inhabitants of Sherwood Forest to the lands that he now governs? Obviously Basil Rathbone would not be needed in this sequel since he was killed in the first film.  I have read that there apparently was talks of a sequel, but it never happened.  I would have liked to have seen it.  I know that Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn's Robin and Marian attempted to explain what happened to Robin and Marian after the traditional Robin Hood story, but I wasn't a fan of that film, it also seemed to go along better with Kevin Costner's Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves than the 1938 Technicolor classic.

What films have you watched and wished there had been a direct sequel to tell more of the story? Or, what films do you wish had a prequel to explain how the characters got to this point in their quest?  If there are films that you wish had a sequel/prequel, what would you have liked to see explained? or what storyline continued?

We've all watched movies where the film ends and you wonder, "hmm, I wonder what happened after this?" Or, on the flipside, the film seems to start in the middle of the action, and you wonder "I wonder how these characters got to this point?" Lately, it seems that Disney has been trying to fill in the blanks with films such as Oz: The Great and Powerful which offered an explanation of how the Wizard got to Oz, how the witches became the way they were, why Glinda lived in a different other part of Oz, etc.  Maleficient offered a more thorough explanation as to why Maleficient was so upset that she wasn't invited to Aurora's christening. 

I would have loved to have seen more to The Adventures of Robin Hood, with the current cast: Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Claude Rains, et. al.  I would have loved to have seen what happened with King Richard recovered his throne.  Would Prince John try to come back? Is Robin Hood and Marian living in their own castle or are they still in Sherwood Forest? If Robin Hood is gone, did Will Scarlett or Little John take over? Or did Robin Hood bring all the inhabitants of Sherwood Forest to the lands that he now governs? Obviously Basil Rathbone would not be needed in this sequel since he was killed in the first film.  I have read that there apparently was talks of a sequel, but it never happened.  I would have liked to have seen it.  I know that Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn's Robin and Marian attempted to explain what happened to Robin and Marian after the traditional Robin Hood story, but I wasn't a fan of that film, it also seemed to go along better with Kevin Costner's Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves than the 1938 Technicolor classic.

What films have you watched and wished there had been a direct sequel to tell more of the story? Or, what films do you wish had a prequel to explain how the characters got to this point in their quest?  If there are films that you wish had a sequel/prequel, what would you have liked to see explained? or what storyline continued?

"The Golden Compass" (2007) Certain groups had any hope of a sequel killed.  I want to see them (the movie characters) enter the alternative universe which I believe is ours. Laws of physics are different.

I would have loved to have seen more to The Adventures of Robin Hood, with the current cast: Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Claude Rains, et. al. . ...Obviously Basil Rathbone would not be needed in this sequel since he was killed in the first film.  I have read that there apparently was talks of a sequel, but it never happened..

I believe that the tentative title for the sequel that never was was Robin of Locksley.

Basil Rathbone's villainy was such an integral part of the success of Robin Hood that I find it difficult to believe that a sequel without him would have been half as much fun. Sir Guy having been killed in the first film would have made it difficult to bring him back, of course.

Therefore, if I had been Jack Warner and the sequel was a go, I would have insisted that the scenarists write that Sir Guy had an evil twin brother who was even nastier. Anything to bring back dear old Baz. And, no matter how hokey that may be, who wouldn't have wanted to see a duelling rematch Rathbone and Flynn?

Only this time, just before their swords are about to clash, Rathbone would memorably say the line, "Hello. My name is Inigo of Gisbourne. You killed my brother. Prepare to die." 

Now, is that original, or what? ;)

• Like 1

Good idea for a thread. 

Supposedly the original FATHER OF THE BRIDE was to have another sequel, after FATHER'S LITTLE DIVIDEND. But when Joan Bennett and Walter Wanger had a very public mishap (involving a shooting on a street one day), MGM shut it down. And Spencer Tracy soon left the studio after this.

Oh,  know, we are not going to have another Marty discussion again, are we?   :lol:

LOL

Funny you say that here James, 'cause believe it or not I actually at first had typed that sentence thus:

"Well Speedy, I gotta admit I always wondered how THESE two guys made out during and after WWII.", but I changed it to the way you saw it there 'cause I just KNEW somebody would "go there"!!! LOL

(...I see my additional efforts were to no avail, huh!) ;)

I believe that the tentative title for the sequel that never was was Robin of Locksley.

Basil Rathbone's villainy was such an integral part of the success of Robin Hood that I find it difficult to believe that a sequel without him would have been half as much fun. Sir Guy having been killed in the first film would have made it difficult to bring him back, of course.

Therefore, if I had been Jack Warner and the sequel was a go, I would have insisted that the scenarists write that Sir Guy had an evil twin brother who was even nastier. Anything to bring back dear old Baz. And, no matter how hokey that may be, who wouldn't have wanted to see a duelling rematch Rathbone and Flynn?

Only this time, just before their swords are about to clash, Rathbone would memorably say the line, "Hello. My name is Inigo of Gisbourne. You killed my brother. Prepare to die." 

Now, is that original, or what? ;)

Ooh I like the evil twin brother aspect.  At the end of the film, they could have Robin Hood leave for the Crusades.  Both Robin and Marian and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves depict Robin Hood coming back from the Crusades, so I have to imagine that that storyline is in the Robin Hood lore.

I've never read the various incarnations of the Robin Hood story to know how closely the 1938 version stayed true to the different characters and situations in the legend and how much of it was "Hollywood-ized."

I would also like the idea of a prequel.  What was Robin Hood like when he was a knight, before he became the leader of Sherwood Forest? What was England like under the rule of King Richard before he left for the Crusades? How did Prince John, the Sheriff of Nottingham and Sir Guy become Allies? Where did Robin Hood meet Will Scarlett? Once Robin Hood left for Sherwood Forest, how did he attain the level of power he had? Did Robin Hood and Maid Marian know each other prior to the main action in the original film? How did Maid Marian become a ward of King Richard?  Perhaps a sequel could feature the Sheriff of Nottingham more, since he is most often depicted as the villain in other Robin Hood incarnations.

if the prequels and sequels maintained their level of quality and if the actors wanted to participate, I could see quite a few films that could have been made. 

"The Golden Compass" (2007) Certain groups had any hope of a sequel killed.  I want to see them (the movie characters) enter the alternative universe which I believe is ours. Laws of physics are different.

I haven't seen The Golden Compass or read the books, but I like the idea of alternate universes.  If the films are well made, there are a ton of different ways the films could go with an alternate universe set up.  It's too bad that the potential for a sequel was squashed.  It seems nowadays, so many book series are turned into movies with sequels specifically in mind (Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Twilight, Narnia, etc.)

Well Speedy, I gotta admit I always kind of wondered what kind of experiences THESE two guys might have had during and after WWII...

louis.jpg

This would be interesting.

I could see Louis and Rick forming/joining a Resistance group in efforts to thwart the Nazi occupation of France.  This would allow Paul Henried and Ingrid Bergman to come back as well.  Victor could team up with Rick and Louis.  By this time, perhaps Ilsa has joined her husband in his efforts.  The four of them could be major players in a resistance movement in France.  Perhaps Louis, seeing that he is law enforcement, afterall, could serve as some type of double agent to gain access to the Nazis, while simultaneously fulfilling Resistance duties.  They could return to Casablanca and see that Rick's Cafe American (which he sold to Ferrari) has been turned into Ferrari's headquarters for the Resistance movement he is involved with in Casablanca.  Somehow, Sam would have to be worked into the plot as well.  Maybe for some extra romance/drama, Rick and Ilsa start having feelings for each other again, which serves as a distraction for Victor who is heavily involved in the resistance movement. 

I would have liked to see a prequel to "The Thin Man" to see how Nick met Nora.  Plus how cute would it be to see Asta as a puppy. 

I like this idea.  We know that Nick was a detective at some point, but by the 1934 film, he was married to Nora (who I think is a socialite, or just rich, I'm not sure, but financially, they're set).  I could see them meeting during one of Nick's cases or perhaps they met at a nightclub while Nick was drowning in his 10th martini of the evening.  Lol.  Plus, more Asta is always a plus in my book.

• Like 2

I would have liked to see a prequel to "The Thin Man" to see how Nick met Nora.  Plus how cute would it be to see Asta as a puppy. 

What an absolutely wonderful idea.

Too bad the movie studios weren't even more greedy than they already were, or they would have seen the money to be made in prequels and sequels.

Asta as a puppy...........O.......M.........G. :D

Nick and Nora rocking it single. Wow. :rolleyes: Pre-code, that stuff would have been flammable.

• Like 2

I could see Louis and Rick forming/joining a Resistance group in efforts to thwart the Nazi occupation of France.  This would allow Paul Henried and Ingrid Bergman to come back as well.  Victor could team up with Rick and Louis.  By this time, perhaps Ilsa has joined her husband in his efforts.  The four of them could be major players in a resistance movement in France.  Perhaps Louis, seeing that he is law enforcement, afterall, could serve as some type of double agent to gain access to the Nazis, while simultaneously fulfilling Resistance duties.  They could return to Casablanca and see that Rick's Cafe American (which he sold to Ferrari) has been turned into Ferrari's headquarters for the Resistance movement he is involved with in Casablanca.  Somehow, Sam would have to be worked into the plot as well.  Maybe for some extra romance/drama, Rick and Ilsa start having feelings for each other again, which serves as a distraction for Victor who is heavily involved in the resistance movement. 

Well I see Louis regaining his senses and turning Rick over to the Nazis for a big reward.  Rick is killed while trying to escape (but the CIA knows what really happened to him).  Louis retains his job in Casablanca but gets a venereal disease from the daughter of a man Louis is taking a bribe from for exit visas.    Louis ends up blind and has to retire.

Years later Louis meets up with Fanny Skeffington.

Well I see Louis regaining his senses and turning Rick over to the Nazis for a big reward.  Rick is killed while trying to escape (but the CIA knows what really happened to him).  Louis retains his job in Casablanca but gets a venereal disease from the daughter of a man Louis is taking a bribe from for exit visas.    Louis ends up blind and has to retire.

Years later Louis meets up with Fanny Skeffington.

Lol.  This is a much bleaker version than I had envisioned, however I do find the idea of him turning Rick in to the Nazis very interesting.  After all, Rick did kill one of their own, Major Strausser.  This would be an interesting twist.  While I don't know about the Louis' VD aspect, I do like the idea of this sequel leading to a spin-off film, Mr. Skeffington (which would also explain how Mr. Skeffington ended up blind.  VD is an appropriate explanation),That would be interesting and bizarre, but I like it! 

What an absolutely wonderful idea.

Too bad the movie studios weren't even more greedy than they already were, or they would have seen the money to be made in prequels and sequels.

Asta as a puppy...........O.......M.........G. :D

Nick and Nora rocking it single. Wow. :rolleyes: Pre-code, that stuff would have been flammable.

I like it!  Because you know that Nick and Nora were totally engaged in pre-marital shenanigans. 

James, your Casablanca sequel sounds like a wonderful film to blow out one's brains to. :)

Liked your scenario here Speedy, and to continue on with it, I'm envisioning that Frenchy ends up dying while performing some uncharacteristically(as James would put it...wink, wink) selfless heroic act, and with Victor ultimate doing his "Wendell Corey Act" and walking away from his relationship with Ilsa because he realizes Rick is her one true love in life.

(...and of course with Rick and Ilsa after the War getting married and then moving to Encino California where he opens up a new cafe along Ventura Blvd...and with Ilsa becoming a bored housewife in the 1970's who begins shopping way too much at the Sherman Oaks Mall...sorry, couldn't resist this last part here) ;)

Liked your scenario here Speedy, and to continue on with it, I'm envisioning that Frenchy ends up dying while performing some uncharacteristically(as James would put it...wink, wink) selfless heroic act, and with Victor ultimate doing his "Wendell Corey Act" and walking away from his relationship with Ilsa because he realizes Rick is her one true love in life.

(...and of course with Rick and Ilsa after the War getting married and then moving to Encino California where he opens up a new cafe along Ventura Blvd...and with Ilsa becoming a bored housewife in the 1970's who begins shopping way too much at the Sherman Oaks Mall...sorry, couldn't resist this last part here) ;)

Lol.  I like "Frenchy" dying while doing something selfless.  I'm shocked! Shocked that I'm dying! I like the Rick and Ilsa ending up together angle.  I also like them moving to "the Valley."  Lol.  While being a housewife in the 1970s, Ilsa tires of the monotony and leads a resistance of women against the traditional gender roles.  She later becomes a leader of the ERA movement.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings