Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RIP Bill Bonds

Sepiatone

So, WHO is Bill Bonds?  some of you may ask?  And....WHAT has he to do with classic movies?  or...ANY movies?

Well, here in Detroit, Bonds was a big deal.  A favorite local news anchorman for years, he also had a reputation for being outspoken, sometimes TOO outspoken, and was known to "slug back" a few.  He was even known to slug a young man who ran into his CAR once!  AND one time (and citing he was drunk at the time) he challenged then Detroit mayor Coleman Young, ON THE AIR, to a BOXING MATCH!

AND he is the only OTHER Detroit news "personality" to have appeared in a "major motion picture"

It was during his short tenure as a Los Angeles news anchor that he made a brief appearance in the sequel "ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES"  and AS a newscaster.  Ironically, or coincidentally, he was teamed on the local TV station channel 7-WXYZ with DIANA LEWIS, the OTHER personality to have been in a major motion picture.  SHE was the woman TV news reporter who interviewed Rocky Balboa in the MEAT PACKING place in the first ROCKY movie.  She remained in Detroit for the remainder of her career, which ended with her retirement two years ago.

One of her daughters, GLENDA LEWIS is now also a reporter and co-anchor at the station.

And, yes.  I'm aware there WAS a "classic" era actress with the same name.

Anyway, Bonds, well respected in spite of his personal demons, and often the good natured butt of jokes about both his drinking, and his hair pieces, died at his home in Southfield Michigan of a heart attack.

One popular joke about his hair---In this area of Michigan, there is actually a road named BIG BEAVER ROAD, which spurred many OTHER types of jokes, but one local columnist suggested the road got it's name, "For that THING on top of Bill Bond's HEAD!"

Sepiatone

• Like 2

I remember Bill Bonds.  I had an aunt and uncle who lived in Allen Park, Michigan for many years and some summers I'd go up to MI from FL and visit them (in 1985, 1990 and '91).  The evening newscast they watched was anchored by Bill Bonds.  He looked like someone who knocked back a few and doesn't that just make you sick?   

Sepiatone, you might even recognize the address my aunt and uncle lived at:

15674 O'Connor Street.  There was a drugstore up at the corner at the time.  I've not been back to Michigan since 1991, but I always enjoyed visiting.  It was nothing like West Palm Beach, FL.

I can even remember an exit off the interstate (at least I think I can).  Exit 208 / Outer Drive.

I remember Bill Bonds.  I had an aunt and uncle who lived in Allen Park, Michigan for many years and some summers I'd go up to MI from FL and visit them (in 1985, 1990 and '91).  The evening newscast they watched was anchored by Bill Bonds.  He looked like someone who knocked back a few and doesn't that just make you sick?   

Sepiatone, you might even recognize the address my aunt and uncle lived at:

15674 O'Connor Street.  There was a drugstore up at the corner at the time.  I've not been back to Michigan since 1991, but I always enjoyed visiting.  It was nothing like West Palm Beach, FL.

I can even remember an exit off the interstate (at least I think I can).  Exit 208 / Outer Drive.

Sorry, I don't recognize the address.  Lincoln Park is next to Allen Park.  But, I DO know where O'Connor street in Allen Park is.  The street runs through Lincoln Park as well...I used to live on ARLINGTON street in LP, and a few blocks over, you'll find Arlington Street in Allen Park, too!

Sepiatone

This guy sounds a little like a famous Los Angeles news anchor back in the day and another big blowhard of a guy, and who Ted Knight was said to have patterned his Ted Baxter character after in the MTM sitcom...George Putnam, and who was also in a few movies back in the 1950s and '60s playing a TV newsman.

(...and no, it's not the same "George Putnam" who was married to Amelia Earhart) 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings