Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Glinda's authority to give the ruby slippers to Dorothy

HoldenIsHere

Glinda's authority to give the ruby slippers to Dorothy  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Did Glinda have the right to give the Wicked Witch of the East's ruby slippers to Dorothy?

• Yes
    • No

After many viewings of THE WIZARD OF OZ, I've come to believe that Glinda (the self-proclaimed "Good" Witch) had NO RIGHT to give the ruby slippers that belonged to the deceased Witch of the East to Dorothy, whose arrival in the Land of Oz was instrumental in the Witch of the East's death.

As the next of kin, I believe that the Witch of the West had a valid claim to her dead sister's shoes.

Furthermore, Glinda's giving the dead Witch's slippers to the person whose house had  fallen on and killed her was in the very least in poor taste.

We're not arguing here whether Dorothy was guilty of murder or manslaughter or whether (as Glinda apparently believed) the killing of the Witch of the East was the justifiable assassination of a despot to liberate the Munchkins from the Witch's perceived tyranny.

We're not arguing whether Glinda was cruel and sadistic for not telling Dorothy immediately that she could have used the slippers to return to Kansas rather than sending this girl from a foreign land on a perilous journey through Oz to "see the Wizard," knowing that the powerful Witch of the West was out for vengeance (or perhaps just trying to claim her dead sister's shoes that were wrongfully denied her).

These questions are for other threads.

The question at hand is:

Did Glinda have the right give to the Wicked Witch of the East's ruby slippers to Dorothy?

(One's perception of "right" or moral authority, of course, are influenced by many factors.)

witchesinspiration.jpg

• Like 1

After many viewings of THE WIZARD OF OZ, I've come to believe that Glinda (the self-proclaimed "Good" Witch) had NO RIGHT to give the ruby slippers that belonged to the deceased Witch of the East to Dorothy, whose arrival in the Land of Oz was instrumental in the Witch of the East's death.

As the next of kin, I believe that the Witch of the West had a valid claim to her dead sister's shoes.

Furthermore, Glinda's giving the dead Witch's slippers to the person whose house had  fallen on and killed her was in the very least in poor taste.

We're not arguing here whether Dorothy was guilty of murder or manslaughter or whether (as Glinda apparently believed) the killing of the Witch of the East was the justifiable assassination of a despot to liberate the Munchkins from the Witch's perceived tyranny.

We're not arguing whether Glinda was cruel and sadistic for not telling Dorothy immediately that she could have used the slippers to return to Kansas rather than sending this girl from a foreign land on a perilous journey through Oz to "see the Wizard," knowing that the powerful Witch of the West was out for vengance (or perhaps just trying to claim her dead sister's shoes that were wrongfully denied her).

These questions are for other threads.

The question at hand is:

Did Glinda have the right give to the  Wicked Witch of the East's ruby slippers to Dorothy?

(One's perception of "right" or moral authority, of course, are influenced ny many factors.)

witchesinspiration.jpg

Hilarious! Thank you for an intelligent poll, Holden.

The slippers possess some sort of power right? Otherwise, I don't think the Wicked Witch of the West would want them so badly.  I don't think she cared about the slippers just because they belonged to her deceased sister and the Wicked Witch of the West was feeling sentimental.  She definitely didn't seem like she even cared that her sister was dead.  My guess is that the Wicked Witch of the East somehow came into possession of the slippers, and the Wicked Witch of the West was upset and forever was trying to get them back.  By crushing the Wicked Witch of the East with her house, Dorothy did the Wicked Witch of the West's dirty work for her and upon finding out her sister was dead, the Wicked Witch of the West came back to collect what she'd been trying to get for years.  I would suspect that perhaps by possessing the slippers, the Wicked Witch of the East was the most powerful person in Oz.  By giving the ruby slippers to Dorothy, I believe that Glinda was acting in the best interest of the Munchkins and all the other inhabitants of Oz.  Glinda sees the good in Dorothy and feels she will take care of the slippers.  What happened to the slippers after Dorothy clicked her heels and went home?

My favorite lines in the whole film come courtesy of the gatekeeper at Emerald City.

"Well bust my buttons!"

-and-

"Who rang that bell?"

Good poll Holden!

I guess to answer the question with any sureness would require understanding what all the laws, traditions, rules, regulations and cultures are in the land of Oz - which is, I believe, kinda what you told me in a different thread earlier today.

One things for certain though - I sure as hell ain't gonna put any stock in what those creepy munchkins have to say!

I guess to answer the question with any sureness would require understanding what all the laws, traditions, rules, regulations and cultures are in the land of Oz - which is, I believe, kinda what you told me in a different thread earlier today.

One things for certain though - I sure as hell ain't gonna put any stock in what those creepy munchkins have to say!

lol.  Those Munchkins were creepy! Are any of them still alive? I thought I'd heard that the lollipop guild guy (the one who hands Dorothy the lollipop) was still around? But he might have died by now.

I've always wanted to read The Wizard of Oz book series.  I suspect that the books may answer some of our questions, or perhaps create new ones? I bet there are a lot of character back-stories that aren't filled in in the movie.

Those Munchkins were creepy! Are any of them still alive? I thought I'd heard that the lollipop guild guy (the one who hands Dorothy the lollipop) was still around? But he might have died by now.

There’s Only One Munchkin From the Wizard of Oz Still Alive

Kacy-Collins-gen.jpg?w=40&h=40&zc=1&s=0&By Kacy Collins  January 17, 2014 9:59 AM

If you thought Paul Walker’s death was a tragedy, wait until you hear this devastating news. Yesterday, one of the two surviving Munchkins from the 1939 movie the Wizard of Oz, Ruth Duccini (pictured below), passed away of natural causes at the age of 95.

180672006-250x300.jpg

Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images

With Duccini’s passing, that means that there is only ONE surviving Munchkin left, 93 year old Jerry Maren. And just in case you’re having trouble figuring out which Munchkin Maren was, he was a member of the Lollipop Guild.

More specifically he was the one dressed in green, who hands Dorothy a lollipop when she arrives in Munchkin Land. You can see him in the video below. You should be able to recognize him pretty quickly.

In a matter of only 75 years, we have lost 123 of the 124 Munchkins that were a part of the Wizard of Oz.

And it seems like the days of Munchkins and the Lollipop Guild are numbered, although with the help science there’s no telling how much longer Maren could be around. One thing is certain though, when Maren dies, the Lollipop Guild dies as well.

Didn’t I tell you this was way more tragic than Paul Walker’s death?

89584424-e1389973367145.jpg

Photo by Charley Gallay/Getty Images

http://1063thebuzz.com/theres-only-one-munchkin-from-the-wizard-of-oz-still-alive/

Assuming that TWOTE died intestate, I believe Glinda had the right to

dispose of the ruby slippers in any manner she saw fit. And I think the

Wizard would have supported this decision on the basis of that good

old Kansas folk wisdom that possession is 9/10ths of the law.

Is Munchkin land in Glinda's jurisdiction? If so, it must be a huge land seeing that she has to travel by bubble.

You may wish to look at Cracked.com's appraisal of Glinda:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18881_5-reasons-greatest-movie-villain-ever-good-witch.html

"So, Glinda steals the shoes, THEN, she straight sells Dorothy out by telling the Witch that the shoes are now superglued to the girl."

An unbiased synopsis of the movie:

X8GzRYF.jpg

LIKE!!

That description of The Wizard of Oz is hilarious.  Maybe we could apply a b&w filter to the film, add some contrast, and turn the film into a horror movie.  I wonder what the Wicked Witch of the East was doing before she met her demise? Perhaps she was adding some touch-ups to the yellow brick road or something.  Maybe she was replanting the flowers in Munchkin land.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18881_5-reasons-greatest-movie-villain-ever-good-witch.html

"So, Glinda steals the shoes, THEN, she straight sells Dorothy out by telling the Witch that the shoes are now superglued to the girl."

X8GzRYF.jpg

Hilarious....reached my quota of likes, so:

and

I'm surprised Glinda the phony pink Ziegfeld gold digger is winning out over the poor green faced truth telling dame who can't take a shower.

What a world, indeed. Give me the Wicked Witch of the West any day of the week.

to be completely honest with you, I have not yet voted as I am not sure exactly how to feel with regard to the matter.

Ultimately, I have to give a little weight to Glinda's case, knowing as she does that the shoes are capable of interdimensional travel... I mean, let's face it,  is that really a power that we trust in the rage-clenched talons of the Wicked Witch of the West, a woman who- in her five minutes of screen time- demonstrates some serious anger issues as well as a bit of a murderous streak?

Wicked-Witch-of-the-West-web.jpg

Do we really want this scary b**** ripping a hole in space and time, traipsing through history tossing poppy dust at people and threatening to immolate men with her broomstick?

She'd probably end up a commentator on cable news...

I dunno, I'm leaning Team Glinda on this one...

• Like 1

X8GzRYF.jpg

OMG DYING NOW!!!!!!!!!

to be completely honest with you, I have not yet voted as I am not sure exactly how to feel with regard to the matter.

Ultimately, I have to give a little weight to Glinda's case, knowing as she does that the shoes are capable of interdimensional travel... I mean, let's face it,  is that really a power that we trust in the rage-clenched talons of the Wicked Witch of the West, a woman who- in her five minutes of screen time- demonstrates some serious anger issues as well as a bit of a murderous streak?

Wicked-Witch-of-the-West-web.jpg

Do we really want this scary b**** ripping a hole in space and time, traipsing through history tossing poppy dust at people and threatening to immolate men with her broomstick?

She'd probably end up a commentator on cable news...

I dunno, I'm leaning Team Glinda on this one...

OMG, funny post.

Yes, true, but think of it this way.

On one hand, you've got the seriously angered WWOTW, probably a result of a dysfunctional childhood, rendered green for who knows what reason, having no meds available to her in this fakakta Land of Oz, where the Wizard is a liar and an accessory to murder, the pink Ziegfeld lady is a cult leader of Little People, and this kid from somewhere drops a house on your sister.

On the other hand, you have Ziegfeld's wife, glittery in pink, with an annoying high pitched voice, hiding the truth from a little girl who's scared out of her wits and could go home in the very first frames. But nooooooooo, she has to meet some equally angry dysfunctional apple trees - well, how would YOU like to be rooted in the ground, having people pluck YOUR fruit? - a tin man and a lion and a scarecrow who are not always of the greatest help, AND have your precious little dog dragged off by the understandably deranged perhaps bi-polar how would YOU like not to be EVER able to take a shower? witch's monkeys.

Your choice, I'm just sayin'. :D

When Margaret O'Brien was on the TCM cruise last December, she said that she is still good friends with Jerry Marin and his wife.

That's good to know. Sadly, Marin might be the only person from the film who is still alive.  I still think the Munchkins are a little creepy.  Not the actors, just the characters.

Though the whole "follow the yellow brick road" exchange cracks me up--probably the funniest part of the whole Munchkin sequence.

Follow the yellow brick road! (nasely voice)

Follow the yellow brick road! (gravely nasely voice)

Follow the yellow brick road! (high pitched squeaky voice)

And at the end, when the wizard takes off in the balloon, because he started the balloon and untied the ropes while Dorothy was saying goodbye, why couldn't he bring the balloon back down? If he didn't know how, how did he land in Oz? Did he crash land?

I know that the Scarecrow, the Tin Man and the Lion all had their brain, heart and courage (respectively) inside of them the whole time, but what was up with the chintzy crap the Wizard gave them?

That's good to know. Sadly, Marin might be the only person from the film who is still alive.  I still think the Munchkins are a little creepy.  Not the actors, just the characters.

Though the whole "follow the yellow brick road" exchange cracks me up--probably the funniest part of the whole Munchkin sequence.

Follow the yellow brick road! (nasely voice)

Follow the yellow brick road! (gravely nasely voice)

Follow the yellow brick road! (high pitched squeaky voice)

And at the end, when the wizard takes off in the balloon, because he started the balloon and untied the ropes while Dorothy was saying goodbye, why couldn't he bring the balloon back down? If he didn't know how, how did he land in Oz? Did he crash land?

I know that the Scarecrow, the Tin Man and the Lion all had their brain, heart and courage (respectively) inside of them the whole time, but what was up with the chintzy crap the Wizard gave them?

but what was up with the chintzy crap the Wizard gave them?

HAH! Leftover like the balloon from the Fair! Just goes to prove anything you want to be or anywhere you want to go is already in your head.

Meanwhile, even though you ended up going home, you melted a poor green unwashed woman whose sister you murdered.

I liked the Coroner's song the best.

She's not only really dead, she's really most sincerely dead.

I can't believe I still love this movie to pieces!

Someone here asked about the Lollipop Kid who presented Dorothy with the lollipop - I think he just recently passed away.

but what was up with the chintzy crap the Wizard gave them?

HAH! Leftover like the balloon from the Fair! Just goes to prove anything you want to be or anywhere you want to go is already in your head.

Meanwhile, even though you ended up going home, you melted a poor green unwashed woman whose sister you murdered.

I liked the Coroner's song the best.

She's not only really dead, she's really most sincerely dead.

I can't believe I still love this movie to pieces!

Someone here asked about the Lollipop Kid who presented Dorothy with the lollipop - I think he just recently passed away.

The Coroner was hilarious. 

Not only can the witch not bathe, it also must never rain in Oz.  After Dorothy murders the witch, granted it was justifiable homicide as she had lit the Scarecrow on fire (which let's face it, if you're made of straw, catching on fire is inevitable) but the guards act grateful that Dorothy had freed them from the Witch's tyranny.  They clearly outnumbered her and her flying monkey minions, why didn't they just kill her?  Maybe they didn't know that water was her kryptonite. 

That question seems to be up in the air. And does the Wizard rule over everything or is

he just the head guy in Oz? Does his mandate extend everywhere? Hmmm. I think the

bubble shows that Glinda was green conscious ahead of her time.

I don't know if The Wizard ruled over everything.  He definitely had the inhabitants of Oz fooled that he was so powerful.  Toto exposed that scam right away.  He seemed to serve as more of a counselor where he helped people find things out about themselves that they didn't realize.  What is he going to do with the Witch's broom? Is it an alternative travel vehicle to use when his balloon inevitably gets a hole in it or he runs out of fuel? Or perhaps the broom was a less morbid way to prove that the witch was gone.  Though, The Wizard only told Dorothy to bring the broom, he didn't say anything about killing her.  We're lucky that Dorothy didn't bring the Witch's head back on a pike.

I like the idea that Glinda was green conscious.  Definitely more environmentally friendly than the Wicked Witch polluting the air with her threatening smoke messages and polluting the poppy fields with chemicals.

I know The Wizard was planning on bringing Dorothy home in the balloon.  Does this mean that Oz and Kansas exist within the same world? Or is the balloon capable of traveling between worlds?  With Dorothy not in the balloon, I wonder where The Wizard went?

Thank goodness the broom was sufficient proof. Imagine how that head

would have smelled after several days of being carried back to Oz. Yikes.

The WWOTW had a pretty big carbon footprint for sure. And who knows

what toxic chemicals were unleashed when the hourglass was broken.

Glinda's environmentally friendly ways are much better and obviously

a better match for the Emerald City.

Oz was just too strange to be in the same place as Kansas. It was almost

too strange for Hollywood, U.S.A. I wouldn't be surprised if Oz again took

the name of Professor Marvel and hit the Midwestern state fair balloon

ride circuit. Quite a come down from being an all powerful wizard. :(

Maybe the state fair is where the Wizard got all that chintzy crap he gives to people seeking his assistance.  He makes up some BS about how they had [whatever] the whole time and then re-gifts the junk he won from the Carnie games at the fair!

Maybe he enters hot air balloon championships.  Can you race those things?

Re: the WWOTW and her big carbon footprint.  I forgot about her hourglass and lets not forget the red smoke that appears when she enters and exits somewhere.  No wonder she's green! She's probably stained her skin as a result of the rough chemicals she uses to make her dramatic entrances and exits.  Perhaps that's why it only takes water to melt her.  She's probably ruined her body.

The Emerald City definitely earned its reputation as a "green city." After all, they had a horse that could change colors instead of getting multiple horses in different colors.  Not to mention the beauty department who cleans up what someone already has instead of getting something new.  I like that they recycle. 

• Like 1

Actually, I think our friend darkblue has hit upon a very salient point here. Yes, I also think the Local, State and Federal Laws might prove a good way to reach an unassailable answer to this quandary.

And so, first, because all the inhabitants in the Land of Oz seem to possess American accents(though yes, the smaller inhabitants speaking in an American accent as if beforehand having inhaled copious amounts of Helium gas) and similar to those in the state of Kansas, one must rightfully conclude that the Land of Oz is indeed located somewhere within the United States of America.

Secondly, because in the United States of America(and the following is a little known historical "fact") when the Founders were drafting the U.S. Constitution, and specifically the Second Amendment, they HAD actually assumed later generations of Americans would understand that said Amendment was not solely to imply that the Right to "Bare Arms" would end there, but was in fact assumed it to encompass ALL the extremities of the human body.

And thus, all Dorothy was doing when she removed those ruby slippers and kept them, was to ensure the Wicked Witch of the East's Right to "Bare FEET", and thus had been acting as a good American apparently cognizant of American Law...implied or not.

(...yeah, yeah, I know...that WAS a long way just to get to a lousy pun you probably saw coming, wasn't it folks...so SUE me...which of course is ANOTHER fine old American tradition, but a different subject altogether)

The reason is if the shoes fit, you must acquit, and they fit Dorothy perfectly. 

Yeah, good point, Johnnie...err, I mean MM. ;)

(...however, I think you might have ALSO mentioned to the jury here that Dorothy's initial attempt to flee Oz was scheduled via a balloon and NOT a white Ford Bronco...you can never present too much evidence in these kind of cases, ya know)

• Like 1

The reason is if the shoes fit, you must acquit, and they fit Dorothy perfectly. I also couldn't see those red slippers clashing on an ugly green witch. Maybe green military boots, with steel toes, but not red slippers.

The reason is if the shoes fit, you must acquit, 

That's hilarious, MM.

Thank goodness the broom was sufficient proof. Imagine how that head

would have smelled after several days of being carried back to Oz. Yikes.

The WWOTW had a pretty big carbon footprint for sure. And who knows

what toxic chemicals were unleashed when the hourglass was broken.

Glinda's environmentally friendly ways are much better and obviously

a better match for the Emerald City.

Oz was just too strange to be in the same place as Kansas. It was almost

too strange for Hollywood, U.S.A. I wouldn't be surprised if Oz again took

the name of Professor Marvel and hit the Midwestern state fair balloon

ride circuit. Quite a come down from being an all powerful wizard. :(

Oz was just too strange to be in the same place as Kansas.

True. I also wonder if Dorothy told the farm hands that they had doppelgangers?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings