Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic film in the news

TopBilled

A new article about the racial tensions surrounding the premiere of GONE WITH THE WIND. Interesting, though not sure if it covers much new ground:

Sad that so many in the south were such bigots in 1940.  As we have discussed the movie portrays the south in a very positive light but still the black stars of the movie couldn't appear with the white stars.     I assume many in the south were upset when McDaniels won the Oscar.   

Sad that so many in the south were such bigots in 1940.  As we have discussed the movie portrays the south in a very positive light but still the black stars of the movie couldn't appear with the white stars.     I assume many in the south were upset when McDaniels won the Oscar.   

Not to diminish her achievement, but one wonders if she didn't get an extra nudge winning that Oscar because Hollywood was trying to send a message to the south...?

Not to diminish her achievement, but one wonders if she didn't get an extra nudge winning that Oscar because Hollywood was trying to send a message to the south...?

Yeah, that was probably true, however here's a little history about this very sort of thing right in Hollywood's backyard...

http://www.irwinator.com/126/wdoc200.htm

...and...

http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~philipje/Segregation/Haynes_Reports/Contours_PRR_2001-04e.pdf

Now what was that thing about "pots" and "kettles" again??? And as I recall, Hattie herself had some kind of problem with that whole "Redlining" thing, and as did Nate King Cole just a little while later.

(...btw, I'll bet you folks anything that if Jake in the Heartland sees this post of mine, he's gonna LOVE it...any takers???) ;)

LOL

Now what was that thing about "pots" and "kettles" again??? And as I recall, Hattie herself had some kind of problem with that whole "Redlining" thing, and as did Nate King Cole just a little while later.

(...btw, I'll bet you folks anything that if Jake in the Heartland sees this post of mine, he's gonna LOVE it...any takers???) ;)

LOL

The best thing you ever posted on this board.

The best thing you ever posted on this board.

Well, I wouldn't go THAT far now, Jake ol' boy!!! LOL

(...knew you'd get a kick out'a this, Oh Man of Few Words...just think of it as "my Christmas present to you"!!!) ;)

OH, and signed:

"Your Favorite Centrist...ever able to see AND willing to comment upon the hypocrisy often exhibited by BOTH sides of the freakin' aisle!" ;)

(...'cause I always have such a GREAT vantage point from right here in THE MIDDLE!!!)  

LOL

OH, and signed:

"Your Favorite Centrist...ever able to see AND willing to comment upon the hypocrisy often exhibited by BOTH sides of the freakin' aisle!" ;)

(...'cause I always have such a GREAT vantage point from right here in THE MIDDLE!!!)  

LOL

Well at least Hollywood was willing to give Hattie the award.   Of course she had enter the event using the servants' entrance but,,,well,   still this is progress!     :D

Well at least Hollywood was willing to give Hattie the award.   Of course she had enter the event using the servants' entrance but,,,well,   still this is progress!     :D

Yep, good point James!

And thus, on the FLIP side of this old wound, a person sitting from the aforementioned "Middle" and with NO "ax to grind",  could legitimately make the argument that it's probably VERY doubtful Hattie would have gotten the "keys to the city" after receiving that award in Hollywood California, IF that city would have happened to have been, say, SELMA freakin' ALABAMA, circa 19-freakin'-39, huh!!!!

LOL

(...btw...I doubt Jake is gonna like THIS post of mine as much as my first one!) 

LOL..some more.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings