Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did anyone notice the screw ups in Monday's airing of "Umberto D."?

jakeem

I didn't see it, but since everything is run  from servers and operations are automated, (all networks, not just TCM)  computer  glitches like that aren't surprising.  I'll take the good old days when there was actually a person threading a reel of film into a projector and pushing the "start" button. Mistakes still happened, but at least you knew why.

The movie began somewhere in the middle and then ended. And then it started over, but omitted the opening credits and the first half hour of the film. I didn't wait around to see how it played out, so I will try again via Watch TCM.

that's a shame, 'cuz I've seen the film before and it's a wonderfully well-made & poignant movie :(

The movie began somewhere in the middle and then ended. And then it started over, but omitted the opening credits and the first half hour of the film. I didn't wait around to see how it played out, so I will try again via Watch TCM.

Word is Quentin Tarantino got his hands on a copy of this flick and then re-cut a new version of it in the vein of his "Pulp Fiction", and somehow THAT was the copy that TCM showed.

(..but don't ask me why...I wasn't privy to anymore information than THAT!!!) ;)

I'm glad you mentioned this.  I started to record and noticed the opening title credits were missing, but when I came back just before 9:00 and saw that it had run for the full 89 minutes, I figured that the rest of the film had run smoothly.  So now I'll just have to throw out the disk, and be grateful that this was only a backup copy.  I hope they show it again soon, as it's one of De Sica's finest films.

Word is Quentin Tarantino got his hands on a copy of this flick and then re-cut a new version of it in the vein of his "Pulp Fiction", and somehow THAT was the copy that TCM showed.

(..but don't ask me why...I wasn't privy to anymore information than THAT!!!) ;)

Perhaps you're right. When it comes to Tarantino, continuity sometimes doesn't matter. An observer once wrote that you could watch "Kill Bill, Volume 2" before "Kill Bill, Volume 1" without becoming confused!

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings