Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Swept Away -- Madonna Version

Mac_the_Nice

Some people really do like this movie . . .

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0291502/reviews?filter=love

And they take major issue with the critics who say Madonna "can't act".  Here is one fellow posting at IMDb who sees fit to rip the mask off critics who, in his view, were too politically gutless to give an honest account of it . . .

"The critics were spineless in their analysis of this movie. Typically, critics posture as examples of open-mindedness, but quickly turn hypocritical when a story takes a view contrary to their own brand of en-vogue political correctness.

The media is perfectly willing to jump up and applaud dramatic material exploring social taboos ranging from child sex to four thousand different types of murder, but when it comes to exploring the raw and uninhibited relationship between a man and woman on a desert island, and the primal gender characteristics that evolve the relationship, they get scared and run for cover - because it does not promote their ever-chi chi uni-sexist agenda.

While not the best made film of 2002, this movie was actually an interesting story with a powerful statement about society, love and relationships, and on its own, takes a radical and even liberal look at these critical elements of our everyday lives.

In their run for cover, aside from directly and personally picking on Madonna and `her husband,' the socio-politically driven critics tended to haphazardly pick at various elements of the movie . . ."

As posted by  Jim J. (San Francisco) at IMDb

Some people really do like this movie . . .

And they take major issue with the critics who say Madonna "can't act".  Here is one fellow posting at IMDb who sees fit to rip the mask off critics who, in his view, were too politically gutless to give an honest account of it . . .

"The critics were spineless in their analysis of this movie. Typically, critics posture as examples of open-mindedness, but quickly turn hypocritical when a story takes a view contrary to their own brand of en-vogue political correctness.

The media is perfectly willing to jump up and applaud dramatic material exploring social taboos ranging from child sex to four thousand different types of murder, but when it comes to exploring the raw and uninhibited relationship between a man and woman on a desert island, and the primal gender characteristics that evolve the relationship, they get scared and run for cover - because it does not promote their ever-chi chi uni-sexist agenda.

While not the best made film of 2002, this movie was actually an interesting story with a powerful statement about society, love and relationships, and on its own, takes a radical and even liberal look at these critical elements of our everyday lives.

In their run for cover, aside from directly and personally picking on Madonna and `her husband,' the socio-politically driven critics tended to haphazardly pick at various elements of the movie . . ."

As posted by  Jim J. (San Francisco) at IMDb

I wonder if the poster was aware this was a remake of an Italian movie?   Maybe the critics had seen the original and that influenced their view of the Madonna film?     I know it influenced my view of the film.     

I wonder if the poster was aware this was a remake of an Italian movie?   Maybe the critics had seen the original and that influenced their view of the Madonna film?     I know it influenced my view of the film.     

I think the original poster (imbd) has a point in any case. My guess is that the original movie was probably better received in Europe (where it was made, of course; and by an established and recognized filmmaker no less) because they are less hung up about sex than over here, even the critics who we might think would be above that. I didn't see the Madonna version but the I did see the original and thought it was one of the most erotic movies I've ever seen.

I think the original poster (imbd) has a point in any case. My guess is that the original movie was probably better received in Europe (where it was made, of course; and by an established and recognized filmmaker no less) because they are less hung up about sex than over here, even the critics who we might think would be above that. I didn't see the Madonna version but the I did see the original and thought it was one of the most erotic movies I've ever seen.

Lina Wertmüller, sure. We've got the original now on order from NetFlix. Hope to have it in a couple of days. Good to see your favorable report on it, Ms. Lafitte, both yours and James'. I quite frankly thought Madonna did very well in portraying her part, a far more believable "b'tch" than Liz Taylor produced for *Boom!* in my view. And Ms. Laffite's view about uptight attitudes toward sex here in the U.S. I don't doubt have much to do with the sort of ostracism we see Madonna getting from the Hollywood press, David Letterman et al. But she always manages to overcome! Did you see her classic performance the night she showed up wearing her Bonnie Parker dress, hair bobbed, high-button boots; she's soon smoking a cigar, and but for the Tommy-Gun, she does the whole nine yards, looking to get her some sweet revenge . . .

[Heads Up: contains much R - rated language right from the start]

Lina Wertmüller, sure. We've got the original now on order from NetFlix. Hope to have it in a couple of days. Good to see your favorable report on it, Ms. Lafitte, both yours and James'. I quite frankly thought Madonna did very well in portraying her part, a far more believable "b'tch" than Liz Taylor produced for *Boom!* in my view. And Ms. Laffite's view about uptight attitudes toward sex here in the U.S. I don't doubt have much to do with the sort of ostracism we see Madonna getting from the Hollywood press, David Letterman et al. But she always manages to overcome! Did you see her classic performance the night she showed up wearing her Bonnie Parker dress, hair bobbed, high-button boots; she's soon smoking a cigar, and but for the Tommy-Gun, she does the whole nine yards, looking to get her some sweet revenge . . .

[Heads Up: contains much R - rated language right from the start]

"I'm a guy, I'm a guy ... boy oh boy am I guy," Jack Lemmon says to Tony Curtis after the latter gently reminds him what gender a person he is and that he cannot marry the rich guy (well, back then anyway).

I'm a guy too.

No harm done, my avatar threw you off.

Monsieur Laffite

:)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings