Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mark of the Vampire

NipkowDisc

managed to find a colorized avi. tod browning's best horror classic in color. :)

I can't say I'm a big fan of this flick. I don't know the particulars, but it seems to me that a lot of cutting went on before it was released or maybe it just doesn't make sense to me alone.

I can't say I'm a big fan of this flick. I don't know the particulars, but it seems to me that a lot of cutting went on before it was released or maybe it just doesn't make sense to me alone.

I think Tod Browning himself diminished the overall impact of the film with his chicken sh yte cheat ending and it's a shame because the film's supernatural elements are far superior to his laughable Dracula. Bela Lugosi was never scary as Dracula and Browning was such a coward with the visuals we only get to hear Dracula moan when staked by edward van sloan. Browning apparently decided to work up some guts with mark of the vampire.

I think Tod Browning himself diminished the overall impact of the film with his chicken sh yte cheat ending and it's a shame because the film's supernatural elements are far superior to his laughable Dracula. Bela Lugosi was never scary as Dracula and Browning was such a coward with the visuals we only get to hear Dracula moan when staked by edward van sloan. Browning apparently decided to work up some guts with mark of the vampire.

mark of the vampire is the only tod browning horror classic worthy to be colorized.

you wouldn't colorize freaks. nothing there but a chicken lady. :)

I like Mark of the Vampire except for the cop-out ending.  Very atmospheric.  There's some weird stuff with continuity - as I recall, Lugosi has a gunshot wound in his head in some scenes but not others.  Carol Borland is spooky - I read she was only 19 when she made this.  I don't know if I agree that it's Tod Browning's best; I really like the first half of Dracula (talk about atmosphere) and Freaks is so original plus there are the Browning-Chaney silents.  I would put it near the top, though, and I wonder if the studio made him come up with that ending. I'm not too fond of colorization of movies.  Good old B&W is fine with me. 

I like Mark of the Vampire except for the cop-out ending.  Very atmospheric.  There's some weird stuff with continuity - as I recall, Lugosi has a gunshot wound in his head in some scenes but not others.  Carol Borland is spooky - I read she was only 19 when she made this.  I don't know if I agree that it's Tod Browning's best; I really like the first half of Dracula (talk about atmosphere) and Freaks is so original plus there are the Browning-Chaney silents.  I would put it near the top, though, and I wonder if the studio made him come up with that ending. I'm not too fond of colorization of movies.  Good old B&W is fine with me. 

Well to me the ending is what makes the film.     Horror movies based on concepts like vampires are camp fantasy films to begin with.   The ending spoofs that type of horror film and this makes the film unique.    To me a standard 'fantasy played as if it is real' type ending would have made the film just another standard horror film.     Of course maybe that is what most people want.  

Well to me the ending is what makes the film.     Horror movies based on concepts like vampires are camp fantasy films to begin with.   The ending spoofs that type of horror film and this makes the film unique.    To me a standard 'fantasy played as if it is real' type ending would have made the film just another standard horror film.     Of course maybe that is what most people want.  

James, your preference aside, the elaborate special effects used to perpetrate the hoax, the batwoman transformation sequence, made the ending not so much disappointing as an illogical cheat. Why go to such extreme lengths to trap the killer when in the final analysis hypnosis was used, thereby rendering the whole "hoax" as an unnecessary waste of time. I think that is what really peeves viewers of this film. These kind of horror as "red-herring" films were made well before this film and well after it, but the main purpose of this film was not really to sucker in and trap the killer, it was to sucker in and trap the paying customers who came to see a Tod Browning/Bela Lugosi vampire horror film. I doubt it would have attracted too many Browning or Lugosi fans if they were told before hand it's all GONNA BE B.S. 

James, your preference aside, the elaborate special effects used to perpetrate the hoax, the batwoman transformation sequence, made the ending not so much disappointing as an illogical cheat. Why go to such extreme lengths to trap the killer when in the final analysis hypnosis was used, thereby rendering the whole "hoax" as an unnecessary waste of time. I think that is what really peeves viewers of this film. These kind of horror as "red-herring" films were made well before this film and well after it, but the main purpose of this film was not really to sucker in and trap the killer, it was to sucker in and trap the paying customers who came to see a Tod Browning/Bela Lugosi vampire horror film. I doubt it would have attracted too many Browning or Lugosi fans if they were told before hand it's all GONNA BE B.S. 

I just hope Tod Browning realized he ruined his own film. :)

I don't agree at all as it relates to the main purpose of this film as it relates to trying to sucker in and trap paying customers.  Why would Browning do that?  What film maker goes out of his way to upset paying customers?   It makes no sense that he would and therefor I assume that was NOT his intent.

Instead I assume Browning didn't wish to make just another Lugosi vampire horror film since that had been done.  You (as well as many others),  wanted a standard lugosi vampire horror film.   So to me this situation is like Dylan coming out and playing electric guitar.    Yea,   many of his fans were upset about that since they expected him to be acoustic Bob,  but Dylan wanted to move to something different.    His didn't break out that electric guitar because he wanted to upset his fan base.    Either did Browning.

It's a very unsatisfying movie to me. The first time I saw it, I actually moaned out loud at the ending. Infuriating.

That said, there are few movies of that era with more wonderful visuals than what we get from 'Mark of the Vampire'. For those, I love the movie up until its last five minutes.

It's a very unsatisfying movie to me. The first time I saw it, I actually moaned out loud at the ending. Infuriating.

That said, there are few movies of that era with more wonderful visuals than what we get from 'Mark of the Vampire'. For those, I love the movie up until its last five minutes.

The first time I saw the film (which was only a few years back on TCM),   I was very surprised at the ending and I had a 'wow, that was cool and unexpected' moment.    But I guess I'm not in the majority with my view.

The problem with this type of ending is viewing the movie again.    Once one knows the ending,   even those wonderful visuals are somewhat tainted since one ends up looking for clues that everything was a set-up.    In this regard one can say the movie was ruined by the ending.

Isn't this film just a sound remake of Lon Chaney's lost film "London After Midnight"? It is recreated rather well with stills on the Lon Chaney DVD set that WB put out a few years ago, and these two do seem to be the same movie.

Yes,  the film is a sound remake of London After Midnight which was also directed by Browning who wrote the story. 

Yes,  the film is a sound remake of London After Midnight which was also directed by Browning who wrote the story. 

And that original film, notwithstanding Lon Chaney's eerie make-up job, and because of it's non supernatural ending, is widely regarded by fans of the horror genre, as much less of a classic then it's legendary FAMOUS MONSTER OF FILMLAND reputation makes it out to be. 

Personally, if a COMPLETE print of it is ever found, I would want to see it just because of Chaney, but I would probably come away with the same opinion of it that I hold for MARK OF THE VAMPIRE, 'what a rip off'. However, I'm quite sure Bob O. and Ben M. of TCM would declare it to be the greatest find of the century and sing it's praises on and on ad infinitum. 

And that original film, notwithstanding Lon Chaney's eerie make-up job, and because of it's non supernatural ending, is widely regarded by fans of the horror genre, as much less of a classic then it's legendary FAMOUS MONSTER OF FILMLAND reputation makes it out to be. 

Personally, if a COMPLETE print of it is ever found, I would want to see it just because of Chaney, but I would probably come away with the same opinion of it that I hold for MARK OF THE VAMPIRE, 'what a rip off'. However, I'm quite sure Bob O. and Ben M. of TCM would declare it to be the greatest find of the century and sing it's praises on and on ad infinitum. 

let 'em find the lost john wayne western the oregon trail. :)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings