What's your favorite poll?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite poll?

• GLINDA'S AUTHORITY TO GIVE THE RUBY SLIPPERS TO DOROTHY
    • TCM PROGRAMMING
    • NEW BOARD SUBFORUMS
    • MESSAGE BOARD EXPERIENCE
    • RICH'S MADE-UP TCM MESSAGE BOARD POLLS

General Discussions is fast becoming a meta-movie discussion forum.  Increasingly we talk about talking about movies, instead of talking about the movies themselves.  I'm not criticizing this.  In fact, I am planning a campaign to take it to the next level:  talking about talking about talking about movies.  This is the first salvo.

• Like 4

LOL

Don't know why exactly slayton, but your thread here is reminding me of what another Marx(Karl this time, not Groucho) once famously said about "history repeating itself...the first as tragedy, the second as farce".  ;)

Many forums which I visit have a separate board for polls so as to not dilute discussion boards. It was until I saw polls begin to appear here that I thought that this board could not become more diluted.

Shame you were wrong, isn't it?

Many forums which I visit have a separate board for polls so as to not dilute discussion boards

Too bad the same weren't true here.

General Discussions is fast becoming a meta-movie discussion forum.  Increasingly we talk about talking about movies, instead of talking about the movies themselves.  I'm not criticizing this.  In fact, I am planning a campaign to take it to the next level:  talking about talking about talking about movies.  This is the first salvo.

talking about talking about talking about movies.

Hilarious. Sadly this will only spur on more and more and more and more and more polls, but your point is well taken. And hilarious.

I love it. Nothing like a good reflexive, wicked sense of humor. I don't know if I will do any more polls for awhile, but I would like to create one after we know the Oscar nominees for best picture, actor and actress. It would be interesting to see if message board users can successfully predict the Oscar outcomes.

Groucho had nothing on Karl with respect to one-liners.

Yeah MAYBE, but on the flip side here, ain't it shame that there's never been any part of the world where GROUCHO's philosophies were the driving force behind the establishment of its government and instead of that OTHER guy?!!!

(...but then again, I WOULD think so, huh!) ;)

My favorite was the "thready awards" one - but I noticed you didn't list it.

Probably because TB removed it, huh?

No, it completely escaped my attention.

Hilarious. Sadly this will only spur on more and more and more and more and more polls, but your point is well taken. And hilarious.

Not sad at all.  It is in line with my aims.

In any case, I'm glad I could inspire a smile.  After all, what's the point of participating here if it isn't fun?

• Like 1

Yeah MAYBE, but on the flip side here, ain't it shame that there's never been any part of the world where GROUCHO's philosophies were the driving force behind the establishment of its government and instead of that OTHER guy?!!!

(...but then again, I WOULD think so, huh!) ;)

I did some research, and found that, in his twenties, Karl Marx regularly showed up at open mic night at a comedy club in Vladivostok.

I hope that all will forgive this as it is political commentary and I will understand if Moderators chose to delete it for that reason. I post only because this is one of my favorite-of-all-time jokes. I hope the concept translates well:

Karl Marx did not want Communism to be called a science because he was an animal lover. He feared that if people thought Communism is scientific then they would expose dogs to it.

• Like 1

I hope that all will forgive this as it is political commentary and I will understand if Moderators chose to delete it for that reason. I post only because this is one of my favorite-of-all-time jokes. I hope the concept translates well:

Karl Marx did not want Communism to be called a science because he was an animal lover. He feared that if people thought Communism is scientific then they would expose dogs to it.

That one brought down the house at the Stuttgart Laugh Factory.

• Like 1

AAAH! And hence why it would become so..ahem.."dogmatically" applied in Mother Russia and its neighboring states for all those years, eh Sans?! ;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings