Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Let me know what you think about having certain genres night?

ben42day

I grew up in the 60's and 70's with what I still say are the greatest movies I've ever experienced and some of those were already 5 to 25 years old. Some of these movies were so cheesy they were great. There is something about a good old black and white war film or crime drama/film noir or science fiction movie and there's nothing like Technocolor, Kodachrome, Cinecolor, Eastmancolor, or etc, etc, or Cinemascope, Vistavision, etc, etc, which I don't understand why they don't make movies using these processes anymore because it was what gave way to the real movie experience and made that adventure so great. Older movies were definetly not like todays movie experiences which are too much like just taking a video camera out and making a movie other than the special effects, swearing and sex which they seem to base all of their movie on and that is what the visual experience seems like to me. I am a male so I watched more war movies and Sci fi flicks and crime drama/film noir type movies and dramas and really mostly anything but musicals or silent movies, although there are some great ones, I don't believe they should have a night a week dedicated to it or to play movies that are only a few years old or even made in the last 20 years because that is not the impression of the definition of classic that TCM themselves have defined classics. This is what my question/poll is! Who would like to have a movie night dedicated strickly to the types of movies I mentioned above? I think it should be a whole or most of the day if they show these movies monthly, and it's only one day out of 30 or show these types of movies nightly if done weekly. There are a awful lot of males I'm sure who grew up watching the types of movies I did, no offense women, but I surely would like to have a night dedicated to war films and some of the other gendres and not the movies we've already seen over and over again. There are movies I've never seen on TCM or only seen once out of the whole time they've been on the aire which quite frankly I don't understand why there are movies that are quite good I don't see and others that seem to be on every week. I feel like it's the same as radio where they loop the same songs over and over. Take a movie like Paratroop Command which director of Pulp Fiction Quentin Taratino says what I do about it and that it is one of the best world war two movies made and which I only seen it once on TCM. I've never seen Five Branded Women, The Foreman Went To France, or Cry of Battle with Van Heflin and then film noir like Cry Danger with Dick Powell only once on TCM. The movies they're putting on TCM lately I really don't get. I turned it on one night and seen a guy performing a sexual act which is fine if that's what your looking for but we or I should say I don't get how that's considered a classic. Yes there are films of these types that technically can be considered classics but is this the TCM we all have watched since their start? So let me know, would you like a night dedicated to war movies, film noir, sci fi? Especially the hard to get ones or movies not shown often. I like the Dirty Dozen but give me a break. Let me know what you think and if you agree write TCM and let them know. We are what makes TCM and don't get me wrong I've enjoyed them since day one. Show us some of these movies you hardly or never show TCM.

Paragraphs, my friend, paragraphs. This is just unreadable.

I think the gist of this is that "Ben" has an issue with TCM not showing enough "guy" movies, doesn't show enough war or sci-fi films and mostly caters to women viewers. I don't agree with that assessment but to each his own.

I think the gist of this is that "Ben" has an issue with TCM not showing enough "guy" movies, doesn't show enough war or sci-fi films and mostly caters to women viewers. I don't agree with that assessment but to each his own.

To a degree your assessment of his assessment is on target,  but 'Ben' also mentions the 'too many repeats' complaint, the 'more premiers',  one, as well as the 'modern movies are not classic' one (or maybe movies with sexual acts are not??).

I believe most of us at this forum agree with 'too many repeats' and please 'more premiers' complaints  (of course these two are related).   

But when it comes to 'TCM should show more from XYZ genre';  I don't think there is much consensus.  

Paragraphs, my friend, paragraphs. This is just unreadable.

I'ts only his 10th post.....you come off as a jerk -off. This make it easier for you:

I grew up in the 60's and 70's with what I still say are the greatest movies I've ever experienced and some of those were already 5 to 25 years old. Some of these movies were so cheesy they were great. There is something about a good old black and white war film or crime drama/film noir or science fiction movie and there's nothing like Technocolor, Kodachrome, Cinecolor, Eastmancolor, or etc, etc, or Cinemascope, Vistavision, etc, etc, which I don't understand why they don't make movies using these processes anymore because it was what gave way to the real movie experience and made that adventure so great.

Older movies were definetly not like todays movie experiences which are too much like just taking a video camera out and making a movie other than the special effects, swearing and sex which they seem to base all of their movie on and that is what the visual experience seems like to me. I am a male so I watched more war movies and Sci fi flicks and crime drama/film noir type movies and dramas and really mostly anything but musicals or silent movies, although there are some great ones, I don't believe they should have a night a week dedicated to it or to play movies that are only a few years old or even made in the last 20 years because that is not the impression of the definition of classic that TCM themselves have defined classics.

This is what my question/poll is! Who would like to have a movie night dedicated strickly to the types of movies I mentioned above? I think it should be a whole or most of the day if they show these movies monthly, and it's only one day out of 30 or show these types of movies nightly if done weekly. There are a awful lot of males I'm sure who grew up watching the types of movies I did, no offense women, but I surely would like to have a night dedicated to war films and some of the other gendres and not the movies we've already seen over and over again.

There are movies I've never seen on TCM or only seen once out of the whole time they've been on the aire which quite frankly I don't understand why there are movies that are quite good I don't see and others that seem to be on every week. I feel like it's the same as radio where they loop the same songs over and over. Take a movie like Paratroop Command which director of Pulp Fiction Quentin Taratino says what I do about it and that it is one of the best world war two movies made and which I only seen it once on TCM. I've never seen Five Branded Women, The Foreman Went To France, or Cry of Battle with Van Heflin and then film noir like Cry Danger with Dick Powell only once on TCM.

The movies they're putting on TCM lately I really don't get. I turned it on one night and seen a guy performing a sexual act which is fine if that's what your looking for but we or I should say I don't get how that's considered a classic. Yes there are films of these types that technically can be considered classics but is this the TCM we all have watched since their start? So let me know, would you like a night dedicated to war movies, film noir, sci fi? Especially the hard to get ones or movies not shown often. I like the Dirty Dozen but give me a break. Let me know what you think and if you agree write TCM and let them know. We are what makes TCM and don't get me wrong I've enjoyed them since day one. Show us some of these movies you hardly or never show TCM.

He's got a good point about a genre night. I agree.

But when it comes to 'TCM should show more from XYZ genre';  I don't think there is much consensus.  

Doesn't matter it moved him enough to comment, his opinion at 10 posts is infinitely more interesting/important than folks with 10,000 posts, (in my opinion) of course. ;)  

• Like 2

Doesn't matter it moved him enough to comment, his opinion at 10 posts is infinitely more interesting/important than folks with 10,000 posts, (in my opinion) of course. ;)  

Sorry but it does matter.  In another post you mention that it would be a good idea to have a genre night.  WELL if TCM was to do this it would open up the question of WHAT genres should be featured.    Therefor the idea would be a good one (as in popular to a majority of viewers),   based on what genres were featured.   e.g. IF genre night focused mostly of musicals I know there are people at this forum that would say the idea was a bad one.

My comment had NOTHING to do with if I found his post interesting or not.    What I find funny is that now you're being like that person with 10,000 post;  trying to control what people comment about.     ;)

Y'know???

I don't have a cue what you're on about???

Is that "CUE"?---or, "CLUE"?

No matter, you're lacking both.

A few weeks ago, somebody...a NEWBIE I think, posted a thread asking about how we'd feel if they started making movies in something HE called a "Cosmic Joker Genre".  Several people, and regretably me, too, razzed him a bit and we never DID get an explanation from him as to WHAT this genre WAS.

Sepiatone

Hello ben42day,

I think you've got a good idea.  I would like to see TCM show some more current movies, too.  One genre I like is war movies and other action movies...  For example:

"To Hell and Back" (1955)

"Hell Is For Heroes" (1962)

"The Longest Day" (1962)

"The Great Escape" (1963)

"In Harm's Way" (1965)

"The Bridge At Remagen" (1969)

"A Bridge Too Far" (1977)

"The Big Red One" (1979)

"The Right Stuff" (1983)

"The Hunt for Red October" (1990)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings