Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

cheaper by the dozen

I think Crain was far from gorgeous in LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN. I always found her to be a very sweet, girl-next-door type, in her FOX films. The studio would not let her grow up. Even in such films as PINKY, LETTER TO THREE WIVES she was still essentially sweetness and light. I know Crain wanted a new image and asked to be cast as Loreli Lee (the role Monroe played) in GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES. After she left the studio Crain's image changed drastically becoming one of the screen's most beautiful and sexy woman of the 50s and made such films as GENTLEMEN PREFER BRUNETTES, THE JOKER IS WILD and THE TATTERED DRESS. Unfortunately, these films away from her home studio are not as distinguished as the ones she made under contract to FOX.

You're certainly right about Crain's image problems, edge, but I think it was just a case of falling for a pretty face in one of the finest Technicolor films I've seen. I didn't quite approve of the gardening sequences but I still found Crain very beautiful in the film and nowhere near as pastel and made-up as Tierney was.

Barbara Bates, who was the second eldest in the Cheaper by the Dozen movie, as well as the sequel "Belles on Their Toes ( which also starred Craine, Loy, and Bates) was also very good in "Let's Make It Legal" as Claudette Colbert's daughter. I dont think she ever reached high status, but was a great contract player....

Tabitha