Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cinema Cubana

Notan

I guess I shouldn't put them low and slow across the plate like that. :)

But seriously, does anyone know anything about Cuban films?

Yes Notan...well, okay, it's actually a Soviet made (anti-Yankee) propaganda film titled "Soy Cuba"("I Am Cuba") that was filmed on that island in 1964.

TCM showed it a while back, and I thought director Mikhail Kalatozov's very inventive use of his camera was fascinating. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Cuba

Yes Notan...well, okay, it's actually a Soviet made (anti-Yankee) propaganda film titled "Soy Cuba"("I Am Cuba") that was filmed on that island in 1964.

TCM showed it a while back, and I thought director Mikhail Kalatozov's very inventive use of his camera was fascinating. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Cuba

Thanks, Dargo. I vaguely recall seeing that when TCM ran it.

I'm hoping there are other, more-recent, not-so-propaganda-esque Cuban films as well.

Not a Cuban film per se, but wasn't Wim Wender's film BUENA VISTA SOCIAL CLUB about a group of Cuban musicians?

All I remember about that movie was that it wasn't filmed, but recorded on videotape and it looked all sunwashed and bleached, like I'd imagine Cuba to look & feel like.

Not a Cuban film per se, but wasn't Wim Wender's film BUENA VISTA SOCIAL CLUB about a group of Cuban musicians?

All I remember about that movie was that it wasn't filmed, but recorded on videotape and it looked all sunwashed and bleached, like I'd imagine Cuba to look & feel like.

That is a good one! I've seen it several times, have the CD, and many of the spin-off CDs. If they weren't digital, I'd say that I've worn them out, too.

That film caught those guys just in time, documenting quite a few of the Old Guard before they started dying. It sure gave them an opportunity to go out in style, too.

I wish a film like that had been made about Celia Cruz -- "Azucar!" -- before she died. (Heck, I'd be glad to watch one made now.) What a performer she was!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings