Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

Today's topic

2015 Oscar Nominations

The Golden Globe awards were handed out on Sunday evening. If the honorees are any indication of the way things may go in Hollywood today when the Oscar nominations are announced, then there are some fairly interesting possibilities to consider. 

1boyhood.png

Two best picture contenders are virtually guaranteed. In the category of best drama, BOYHOOD was selected at the Golden Globe ceremony; and the selection for best comedy or drama was THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL. Of course the question remains-- what other titles will be up for the best picture prize?

Answer: AMERICAN SNIPER; BIRDMAN; THE IMITATION GAME; SELMA; WHIPLASH; and THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING.

images-23.jpg

Meanwhile, the top acting honors at the Golden Globe ceremony went to Michael Keaton and Julianne Moore. Keaton was singled out for his work as an aging actor in BIRDMAN; whereas Moore was recognized for her performance in the drama STILL ALICE as a woman in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease. Incidentally, Moore has been nominated four times before for an Oscar; and Keaton has never been previously nominated by the Academy.

images-12.jpg

Who else will be nominated in the best actor and best actress categories?

Answer: BEST ACTOR nominees in addition to Keaton are Eddie Redmayne; Steve Carrell; Bradley Cooper; and Benedict Cumberbatch. The BEST ACTRESS nominees in addition to Moore are Reese Witherspoon; Rosamund Pike; Felicity Jones; and Marion Cotillard.

In the category of directing, at the Golden Globe ceremony, BOYHOOD's Richard Linklater was honored. In all likelihood, he will be nominated for an Oscar. So, who else might be nominated alongside him for best director?

Answer: Besides Linklater, the other nominees here are Bennett Miller; Wes Anderson; Alejandro Gonzalez; and Morten Tyldum.

Performers who resemble each other

imgres15.jpg

Much has been said that Ann Sothern and Joan Blondell resembled each other.

images17.jpg

I think a blonde Carolyn Jones could pass as their cousin.

imgres-23.jpg

But not Carolyn Jones as Morticia.

imgres16.jpg

I think Anjelica Huston was believable as Morticia.

imgres-6.jpg

Though Cher could have played the part, too.

images-13.jpg

Here's Dale Robertson. 

images-24.jpg

I can't decide if he resembles Clark Gable...

images-34.jpg

Or...

imgres-7.jpg

Maybe he looks more like Burt Lancaster.

imgres-113.jpg

But Dale Robertson does not resemble Milton Berle.

imgres-41.jpg

Who reminds me of Ru Paul.

1ru.png

Oddly(or not)enough, I used to get DALE ROBERTSON and ROBERT PRESTON confused!

Sepiatone

Oddly(or not)enough, I used to get DALE ROBERTSON and ROBERT PRESTON confused!

Sepiatone

Interesting. Last night while watching WHISPERING SMITH on TCM, I kept thinking Robert Preston reminded me of Clark Gable. I guess these men were all the same type, so to speak.

Interesting. Last night while watching WHISPERING SMITH on TCM, I kept thinking Robert Preston reminded me of Clark Gable. I guess these men were all the same type, so to speak.

I like the way you presented those pictures.   Can you post a side by side of Olivia DeHavilland and Ann Shirley?  

• Like 1

I like the way you presented those pictures.   Can you post a side by side of Olivia DeHavilland and Ann Shirley?  

Sure thing jamesjazz! And yes, these gals do resemble each other (never realized it before):

screen-shot-2015-01-16-at-12-36-09-pm.pn

Enlarged:

imgres17.jpg

imgres-114.jpg

Divorce, Hollywood Style

Reasons for separation and divorce in Hollywood:

imgres-115.jpg

Barbara Stanwyck ended her marriage to Frank Fay, because he was a hopeless drunk. Some sources suggest their ill-fated union was the basis for A STAR IS BORN.

Meanwhile, Cary Grant was divorced by wife Virginia Cherrill, because he was moody and wanted to quarrel too much with her. I guess he wasn’t as fun-loving as his screen persona would lead us to believe.

Also from the files of the not-so-fun: Buster Keaton wasn't laughing when his wife Elizabeth sued for divorce. She felt she should be granted her decree from the legendary comedian because he was not very funny.

imgres-24.jpg

Lana Turner claimed that Artie Shaw jeopardized her well-being. Imagine what she thought about Johnny Stompanato, a boyfriend that her daughter later stabbed to death to protect her.

We need a translator for the next case. Nils Asther såg hans äktenskap samman , eftersom hans fru Vivian rider tala till sin mor på svenska. Vivian Asther divorced Nils Asther because she objected to his speaking to his mother in Swedish.
imgres-32.jpg

Betty Grable divorced Jackie Coogan because he auctioned off their wedding gifts. I wonder how much he sold that cake knife for...?

Tarzan’s Johnny Weissmuller and his wife Bobbe (not Jane) saw their marriage hit a snag because his brother moved in with them. She may have agreed to vine swinging, but she didn't sign up for in-laws.

imgres20.jpg

Bette Davis saw her marriage to Harmon Nelson fall apart. He had many complaints against her, the most shocking one being that she read in bed. I guess they reached the page that said ‘the end.’

Down the hall in a nearby courtroom, Stepin Fetchit faced allegations from his wife Dorothy. She sued for divorce on grounds that he regularly beat her. Not sure if he beat her at cribbage or poker. 

A long-lasting marriage was not in the cards for Kay Francis. She came into the courtroom in the best Orry Kelly gown she could find to speak her mind about husband Kenneth McKenna. Apparently Mr. McKenna (are you getting that closeup) apparently Mr. McKenna did not appreciate Ms. Francis' acting skills (make sure you get the tears streaming down her cheeks), and he did not approve of her friends (pull back to get the emerald necklace and the gown). The scars would last a long time, longer than any dramatic award-winning testimony.

images18.jpg

Also appearing before the court was Carole Lombard. She had grown tired of being married to a control freak. She insisted that William Powell was cruel and that he never stopped acting at home, even in his pajamas! To be or not to be married, sweet Ophelia, that was the question!

Meanwhile, Ruth Chatterton claimed George Brent had been unkind to her friends. He especially disliked her previous husband showing up for breakfast. The nerve!

Finally, your honor, there was a case that will just burn you up. It seemed marriage took a sinister turn for Sylvia Sidney. She accused her husband of devising a plan to destroy their marriage by berating her in front of others. I think he may have said she kept the roast in the oven too long.
images-14.jpg

imgres15.jpg

Much has been said that Ann Sothern and Joan Blondell resembled each other.

images17.jpg

I think a blonde Carolyn Jones could pass as their cousin.

imgres-23.jpg

But not Carolyn Jones as Morticia.

imgres16.jpg

I think Anjelica Huston was believable as Morticia.

imgres-6.jpg

Though Cher could have played the part, too.

images-13.jpg

Anjelica Huston was terrific as Morticia. She had just the right way of delivering a line that was creepy and sexy at the same time.

• Like 1

Divorce, Hollywood Style

imgres-115.jpg

Barbara Stanwyck ended her marriage to Frank Fay, because he was a hopeless drunk. Some sources suggest their ill-fated union was the basis for A STAR IS BORN.

Meanwhile, Cary Grant was divorced by wife Virginia Cherrill, because he was moody and wanted to quarrel too much with her. I guess he wasn’t as fun-loving as his screen persona would lead us to believe.

Also from the files of the not-so-fun: Buster Keaton wasn't laughing when his wife Elizabeth sued for divorce. She felt she should be granted her decree from the legendary comedian because he was not very funny.

imgres-24.jpg

Lana Turner claimed that Artie Shaw jeopardized her well-being. Imagine what she thought about Johnny Stompanato, a boyfriend that her daughter later stabbed to death to protect her.

We need a translator for the next case. Nils Asther såg hans äktenskap samman , eftersom hans fru Vivian rider tala till sin mor på svenska. Vivian Asther divorced Nils Asther because she objected to his speaking to his mother in Swedish.

imgres-32.jpg

Betty Grable divorced Jackie Coogan because he auctioned off their wedding gifts. I wonder how much he sold that cake knife for...?

Tarzan’s Johnny Weissmuller and his wife Bobbe (not Jane) saw their marriage hit a snag because his brother moved in with them. She may have agreed to vine swinging, but she didn't sign up for in-laws.

imgres20.jpg

Bette Davis saw her marriage to Harmon Nelson fall apart. He had many complaints against her, the most shocking one being that she read in bed. I guess they reached the page that said ‘the end.’

Down the hall in a nearby courtroom, Stepin Fetchit faced allegations from his wife Dorothy. She sued for divorce on grounds that he regularly beat her. Not sure if he beat her at cribbage or poker. 

A long-lasting marriage was not in the cards for Kay Francis. She came into the courtroom in the best Orry Kelly gown she could find to speak her mind about husband Kenneth McKenna. Apparently Mr. McKenna (are you getting that closeup) apparently Mr. McKenna did not appreciate Ms. Francis' acting skills (make sure you get the tears streaming down her cheeks), and he did not approve of her friends (pull back to get the emerald necklace and the gown). The scars would last a long time, longer than any dramatic award-winning testimony.

images18.jpg

Also appearing before the court was Carole Lombard. She had grown tired of being married to a control freak. She insisted that William Powell was cruel and that he never stopped acting at home, even in his pajamas! To be or not to be married, sweet Ophelia, that was the question!

Meanwhile, Ruth Chatterton claimed George Brent had been unkind to her friends. He especially disliked her previous husband showing up for breakfast. The nerve!

Finally, your honor, there was a case that will just burn you up. It seemed marriage took a sinister turn for Sylvia Sidney. She accused her husband of devising a plan to destroy their marriage by berating her in front of others. I think he may have said she kept the roast in the oven too long.

images-14.jpg

They all should have taken the Dietrich route--stayed married, but carried on with whomever they wished. Much simpler and when ever scandal reared it's ugly head, she could just trot him out and say, "Nonsense! I have been married to my beloved Rudi since I was...(whatever age coincided with her current claimed age). (Insert name of lover here) is just a good friend." Saved court costs, alimony, embarrassment...kind of messed Maria up though.

They all should have taken the Dietrich route--stayed married, but carried on with whomever they wished. Much simpler and when ever scandal reared it's ugly head, she could just trot him out and say, "Nonsense! I have been married to my beloved Rudi since I was...(whatever age coincided with her current claimed age). (Insert name of lover here) is just a good friend." Saved cour costs, alimony, embarrassment...confused the crap out of Maria when she was young, but that's what therapy is for. (I do love Dietrich in amny ways, but she didn;t always think about what effect her actions would have on the people she was supposed to love)

Exactly. She was smart and able to enjoy an open marriage. She wasn't hung up on conventional morality like a lot of other Hollywood stars, who'd sin and then try to wipe the slate clean with a divorce and a new marriage.

Olivia and Ann look so much alike, at times, that if I haven't seen the movie before, I sometimes have to check the credits.

In my book, they were both extremely beautiful, with Olivia having a slight edge in the face and Ann having a slight edge in the body. Olivia's sweet and kind persona (especially in GWTW) tips the scales decidedly in her favor, though.

Taking care of business with Danny DeVito

Who else gets the job done like this guy?

1. Dealing with his wife's kidnappers in RUTHLESS PEOPLE (1986):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLqfOWdkCqg

2. Explaining sales deception in TIN MEN (1987):

3. Discussing the value of investing to potential stock holders in OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY (1991):

4. Tips about honesty to a young protege in THE BIG KAHUNA (1999):

Divorce, Hollywood Style

imgres-115.jpg

imgres-24.jpg

imgres-32.jpg

imgres20.jpg

images18.jpg

images-14.jpg

Not to wax pedantic here, but Buster Keaton was never married to anybody named Elizabeth. His first wife was Natalie Talmadge who divorced him because of infidelity AFTER she had denied him sex for the last EIGHT years. His second wife was Mae Scrivens, his nurse. Buster was so drunk when he married her that he did not remember the marriage. They remarried AFTER his divorce with Natalie was final and when he was sober. The marriage lasted two years. She divorced him on account of infidelity. He was glad to be rid of her. Buster's third wife, Eleanor, was a charm. That was a very happy marriage that lasted from 1940 until Buster's death in 1966.

So if someone named Elizabeth found Buster Keaton not very funny, then she should have gotten her money back for her ticket AND perhaps had her head examined because Buster is VERY funny. However, she could not have sued Buster for divorce because they were never married.  This one completely untrue anecdote makes me doubt the veracity of the rest of the article.

Not to wax pedantic here, but Buster Keaton was never married to anybody named Elizabeth. His first wife was Natalie Talmadge who divorced him because of infidelity AFTER she had denied him sex for the last EIGHT years. His second wife was Mae Scrivens, his nurse. Buster was so drunk when he married her that he did not remember the marriage. They remarried AFTER his divorce with Natalie was final and when he was sober. The marriage lasted two years. She divorced him on account of infidelity. He was glad to be rid of her. Buster's third wife, Eleanor, was a charm. That was a very happy marriage that lasted from 1940 until Buster's death in 1966.

So if someone named Elizabeth found Buster Keaton not very funny, then she should have gotten her money back for her ticket AND perhaps had her head examined because Buster is VERY funny. However, she could not have sued Buster for divorce because they were never married.  This one completely untrue anecdote makes me doubt the veracity of the rest of the article.

Sounds like sour grapes. You used to post the monthly schedules when you were able to access them earlier than everyone else. There was not one month that went by when you had gaps and at least two or three errors in what you posted/shared. Did that make us doubt the veracity of your entire posting? No. We showed gratitude that you had taken the time to put forth an effort we could benefit from, even if you sometimes showed your humanness and made an occasional error. Think about that for a long hard minute, calvin.

I do think your only goal to post that snide remark is to stir someone up like another poster who has an on-going axe to grind, who will probably jump on your comment to continue bashing the OP. Thumbs down on you calvin.

Regarding Keaton, it was either Norma Talmadge or his second wife Mae Schriven. Perhaps Schriven was also known as Elizabeth? Since I cannot verify that, I have removed the paragraph on Buster in the article posted on my blog.  

Again, I believe if you had been more courteous and politely pointed out this error, I could have resolved it without incident with you. There are better ways to handle these situations, calvin. I would suggest that you stop reading all future posts in this thread if you are going to nitpick and then when you find an error you try to discredit all the other text. As I said, thumbs down.

Danny is good at playing ne'er do wells and assorted sleazebags.  But, he's no dummy.  He's also a very good director.  And his effort and success in getting the film MATILDA done, and done so well, shows he does have a knack for presenting a well told story.  Both kids and grown ups in my family loved that film...and it DID make me regret to having never constructed  a "Chokie" in MY house when my kids were little!

Sepiatone

Update:

For those reading-- I just verified that Buster's second wife was named Mae Elizabeth Schrivens. Obviously, she was known by her second name not her first name. Therefore, the text in the article is correct. She is the one who told the judge that Buster was not funny when she was divorcing Buster.

So to doubt the veracity of the article is completely unnecessary.

Danny is good at playing ne'er do wells and assorted sleazebags.  But, he's no dummy.  He's also a very good director.  And his effort and success in getting the film MATILDA done, and done so well, shows he does have a knack for presenting a well told story.  Both kids and grown ups in my family loved that film...and it DID make me regret to having never constructed  a "Chokie" in MY house when my kids were little!

Sepiatone

I haven't seen MATILDA but it seems to have been profitable (more of a hit with overseas audiences than in the U.S.).

What I noticed when I watched TIN MEN and THE BIG KAHUNA yesterday is that Danny is a natural for roles that involve (somewhat shady) salesmen. 

I think TIN MEN, in particular, is a masterpiece and one of Barry Levinson's very best films.

I haven't seen MATILDA but it seems to have been profitable (more of a hit with overseas audiences than in the U.S.).

What I noticed when I watched TIN MEN and THE BIG KAHUNA yesterday is that Danny is a natural for roles that involve (somewhat shady) salesmen. 

I think TIN MEN, in particular, is a masterpiece and one of Barry Levinson's very best films.

I'd rate Tin Men way above Avalon and Diner, both of which are a bit too schmaltzy for my taste.  I'd also say that along with The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz, it was also Richard Dreyfuss's best acting job.  To use the old cliche, he and DeVito were both born for those roles.

What I also loved about Tin Men was the way the opening scene was clearly stolen from the W.C. Fields segment of If I Had A Million.  Thank God for plagiarism!  If only either DeVito or Dreyfuss had used the Fields line "Get out of my way, you great snorting road hog!"

• Like 1

I'd rate Tin Men way above Avalon and Diner, both of which are a bit too schmaltzy for my taste.  I'd also say that along with The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz, it was also Richard Dreyfuss's best acting job.  To use the old cliche, they were both born for those roles.

What I also loved about Tin Men was the way the opening scene was clearly stolen from the W.C. Fields segment of If I Had A Million.  Thank God for plagiarism!  If only either DeVito or Dreyfuss had used the Fields line "Get out of my way, you great snorting road hog!"

I'd love to see a primetime triple feature on TCM of Levinson's DINER, TIN MEN and AVALON. I love how faithfully the director recreates the time period of Baltimore in those days. 

I didn't realize they were stealing a bit from the W.C. Fields segment in MILLION. You may be right about that. 

What's so brilliant about TIN MEN, is that we expect it to keep escalating (which it does for awhile) but without spoiling the ending, their relationship eventually takes a different turn-- and that collision at the beginning of the film actually signals a lot of good things for the two characters in their development as human beings.

The icing on the cake is the supporting cast which includes Barbara Hershey, Stanley Brock, John Mahoney and Bruno Kirby. Plus we get a lot of sharp vignettes about the tricks of the trade these men use to sell aluminum siding. It's a clever motion picture.

As you said, Dreyfuss and DeVito both seem born to play these roles. I almost wish there had been a sequel. It's not too late, Mr. Levinson...!

• Like 1

Update:

For those reading-- I just verified that Buster's second wife was named Mae Elizabeth Schrivens. Obviously, she was known by her second name not her first name. Therefore, the text in the article is correct. She is the one who told the judge that Buster was not funny when she was divorcing Buster.

So to doubt the veracity of the article is completely unnecessary.

Ahhh. TB, when it comes to courts of law the devil is in the details. It is one thing to make an offhand remark that "Buster is not funny" to a judge - given Mae Scrivens' mental state I can believe that. It  is another to say - as the article in reference says - "She felt she should be granted her decree from the legendary comedian because he was not very funny." Her lawyers would never have allowed that to happen. Especially when she walked into a bedroom at a party in July 1935 and found Buster completely naked with another woman. Much more serious than not being funny:)

Sounds like sour grapes. You used to post the monthly schedules when you were able to access them earlier than everyone else. There was not one month that went by when you had gaps and at least two or three errors in what you posted/shared. Did that make us doubt the veracity of your entire posting? No. We showed gratitude that you had taken the time to put forth an effort we could benefit from, even if you sometimes showed your humanness and made an occasional error. Think about that for a long hard minute, calvin.

I do think your only goal to post that snide remark is to stir someone up like another poster who has an on-going axe to grind, who will probably jump on your comment to continue bashing the OP. Thumbs down on you calvin.

Regarding Keaton, it was either Norma Talmadge or his second wife Mae Schriven. Perhaps Schriven was also known as Elizabeth? Since I cannot verify that, I have removed the paragraph on Buster in the article posted on my blog.  

Again, I believe if you had been more courteous and politely pointed out this error, I could have resolved it without incident with you. There are better ways to handle these situations, calvin. I would suggest that you stop reading all future posts in this thread if you are going to nitpick and then when you find an error you try to discredit all the other text. As I said, thumbs down.

TB - In researching these posts I have found you have nothing to apologize for as to their content, because they are not your content. By typing selected phrases into google one can quickly see that they are coming from the website https://oforinvolvingmotionpictures.wordpress.com/

Perhaps you did cite this site as a reference. In  that instance - case closed. However, if you did not cite your source, as you pointed out to me a couple of weeks ago - I'm paraphrasing here - plagiarism is a violation of TCM message board policy and may be a cause for removal of said post. The "p" word is a HUGE accusation, so I'll leave it to you to clear matters up, and properly cite your sources if you have not already done so.

TB - In researching these posts I have found you have nothing to apologize for as to their content, because they are not your content. By typing selected phrases into google one can quickly see that they are coming from the website https://oforinvolvingmotionpictures.wordpress.com/

Perhaps you did cite this site as a reference. In  that instance - case closed. However, if you did not cite your source, as you pointed out to me a couple of weeks ago - I'm paraphrasing here - plagiarism is a violation of TCM message board policy and may be a cause for removal of said post. The "p" word is a HUGE accusation, so I'll leave it to you to clear matters up, and properly cite your sources if you have not already done so.

calvin

I am saying this nicely and with some obvious irony-- if you read through the earlier posts in this thread, you will see that I sometimes include the links for the website 'of or involving motion pictures.' That is my website blog. I am the author of these articles. I post them here for you guys, and I post them there for people who follow me away from this website. 

So this is not a plagiarism issue. I am the author. It is my content.

I appreciate corrections/clarifications if I am in error with any of the content-- so I can update it on my blog. But in this case, Buster's second wife was known as Elizabeth so it was not an error. 

Oh dearie me, shades of James Frey ... and Oprah? :lol:

• Like 1