Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Some of the big new cruise ships look so top-heavy, I expect one to be turned over by a giant rogue wave some day.

Land is for me.... not high in the air or far out at sea, and not in a mine or cave. Nope, not for me. :)

Careful, you don't want to be banished.

:lol:  :D  :P

We have already discussed the on-going updates in the thread title. There are occasional indexes to help. Next time please read through the entire thread before jumping on and making what could be perceived as a confrontational comment, okay? Thanks. 

As for the subject of today's topic, apparently you thought wrong. You are free to make a different thread addressing those that are still alive and reaching 100.

Don't bite his head off needlessly, Top. 

I thought the same thing.

Try THINKING CAREFULLY as to how you title a thread before posting.

For example, a reasonable alternative COULD have been:

"Who would have turned 100 in 2015?"

Sepiatone

Sorry Sepia...but I don't agree. Sometimes I will be posting thread titles that are purposely ambiguous and open to multiple interpretations. To expect me to consider how another poster would want them worded or to even clear these titles with another poster before hand is absolutely ludicrous in my opinion. Plus as I have said, he is free to start his own thread going in a different direction. Nobody is preventing him from doing that.

Also, since TCM has a habit of celebrating dead stars' birthdays in the present tense, I think this thread title is highly appropriate.

Whaddya do...spend a lot of time on FAKEBOOK?

DID I suggest you run a thread title by anyone else for approval?

I don't THINK so---So, I'm guessing you either DON'T read carefully, or you've acquired that annoying FAKEBOOK quality of not understanding plain English.  Plus, I never encountered TCM celebrating dead star's birthdays in the "present" tense, at least in the way YOU attempted to.  It's ONE thing to say, "It's ORSON WELLES' 100th birthday today"( or whenever,) which is true regardless of him being alive or not, than it is to say "ORSON WELLES turns 100 this year!"  which, of course, ISN'T POSSIBLE.

Sepiatone

We have already discussed the on-going updates in the thread title. There are occasional indexes to help. Next time please read through the entire thread before jumping on and making what could be perceived as a confrontational comment, okay? Thanks. 

As for the subject of today's topic, apparently you thought wrong. You are free to make a different thread addressing those that are still alive and reaching 100.

So, rather than starting a new thread, one just hijacks an existing thread, changes the title, and voila?

My referrences to Facebook, which I call "fakebook" due to the insincere and phony nature of the people who largely frequent it.  I've had problems on there due to too many people taking ANYthing I'd post out of context and making a big deal out of something I NEVER posted, but THEY decided to take THEIR way, which was way out of bounds.  Pretty much just like you're doing now.  All I did was point out that your thread title was misleading, not to be "bossy", but informative and helpful.

That YOU see it as something it WASN'T, makes me think it's too much like "fakebook".

That and your insistance that if I don't like what YOU do JUST the WAY you DO it, then I can just LEAVE, ALSO makes me think it's too much like facebook.

Sepiatone

It was not informative nor was it helpful. And your capitalizing all those words to make a point is another example of your being bossy and entirely rude. You need to stop. Now.

I was also confused by the title of the thread.   Can't we agree it really should have been: "Who would have turned 100 in 2015?"

But yea,  it sad that a simple misunderstanding results in yet another petty battle at this forum.

It was not informative nor was it helpful. And your capitalizing all those words to make a point is another example of your being bossy and entirely rude. You need to stop. Now.

HEY now, TB! Watch what you're sayin' here about people who capitalize certain words in sentences here, WOULD YA???!!! LOL

Btw, and IF I can get a word in edgewise here, I just wanna say I HOPE they don't schedule me a run down to PHX tomorrow, as I'm hoping I'm around to discuss Lubitsch's "Heaven Can Wait". LOVE that movie!

(...and now back to your and Sepia's little tiff here..and if ya get bored with THIS one, maybe you two would like to join in with the one the sourpuss primos and I are currently havin' in that Crosby thread???...though sorry TB, I don't think the sourpuss is talkin' to YOU lately EITHER, huh?!) LOL

Sourpuss is a good word for that poster...what an extremely hateful and vicious person she must be. Life is way too darn short to hold grudges against strangers on the internet. Time for an immediate attitude adjustment in her little world. Seriously. 

Well TB, while I know you and I seem to be gettin' along famously at the moment, I got me a feelin' that what I'm about to say to ya here MIGHT place a little "roadblock" in your mind about discussing "Heaven Can Wait" with me tomorrow....THOUGH I hope I'm wrong here!

Ya see, sorry but sometimes I DON'T think the sourpuss might be the ONLY person around here who might need a little "attitude adjustment" occasionally, my friend.."my friend for now" anyway! LOL

(...and no, sorry again, but I wasn't talkin' about that OTHER guy in Michigan who overuses them there capital letters like I do, my friend for now!) ;)

Yes.

& does ANYone here feel this is just so WEIRD??

In more ways than one. 

But hey! I'll have to try that next time someone calls me a name - noooooo, it wasn't me, yeah that's the ticket, it wasn't me, it was the tiny voice in my head playing a part!!!!!!! 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Hilarious.

Borrowing Fred's idea, I am providing an index from December 20th to January 13, so you can see where we've been and where I am going with the Today's Topic series. Thank you!

12.20         When you lower your opinion of a film after you read others’ reviews

Do other reviews make unfavorable impressions about classic films you may have previously enjoyed?

12.21         Stars’ own favorite films

What did Doris Day think was her best film? What film did Merle Oberon have the most fun making?

12.22         Classic dialogue and scenes that slipped past the censor

Is self-gratification really mentioned in MR. SKEFFINGTON? What causes things to get past the production code office?

12.23         Best use of Technicolor: Not GONE WITH THE WIND?

A preface to the Natalie Kalmus story. Looking at some criteria she felt should be used when applying the art of Technicolor.

12.24         Movies within movies

A look at movies referenced within movies, and how this is used as a plot device as well as a chance to promote other stars’ through cameo appearances.

12.25         Hollywood Christmas pictures

A photo essay of Hollywood stars celebrating the holiday with gifts.

12.26         Lucy’s movie star encounters

A look at the fourth-season story arc on I Love Lucy, where Lucille Ball’s character interacts with movie stars the actress previously worked with in films. Also a chance to mention stunt casting intended to build audiences.

12.27         Cars of the stars

What kind of vehicle did Joan Crawford drive in 1929, or in 1969?

12.28         Tyrannosaurus multiplex

In many American towns and cities, the multiplex is dying out. New screening options like Netflix and cable are changing the way we watch movies.

12.29         Is MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON sexist?

A discussion about the absence of female senators and girls’ issues in Frank Capra’s classic film.

12.30         Movies that sell out in the end

A look at EXECUTIVE SUITE and PATTERNS, films about corporate politics. What happens when a main character (and the writer) sell out?

12.31         A recommended article

Sharing an old Saturday Evening Post essay on THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE.

1.01         Q & A with Miranda Sommerfield

Miranda is a character from MGM’s classic film THE AFFAIRS OF MARTHA. She is also a very active member at the Virginia Weidler Remembrance Society. She takes time for a special question-and-answer session.

1.02         Who turns 100 in 2015?

A listing of talent from the studio era whose hundredth birthdays occur in the new year.

1.03          Life is a Lubitsch, then you die

An appreciation of Ernst Lubitsch’s HEAVEN CAN WAIT.

1.04         Real time and fictional time

Using HIGH NOON and a few other titles to discuss movies where the time that elapses on screen is synchronized with real viewing time. Not many filmmakers have been able to do this successfully.

1.05         Movie star autographs

A photo essay of celebrity signatures. And a chance to mention the business of buying and selling autographed pictures.

1.06         One scene wonders

A look at character actress Mary Gordon and character actor Franklin Pangborn who often had just one tiny but memorable scene in a movie.

1.07         Frank Morgan: Wizard of Ahs and Ohs

The great Morgan became an unlikely star at MGM in the 1930s and 1940s. What was his background, and was he the studio’s best character actor—better than Lionel Barrymore?

1.08         Famous and retired by age 5

Some actresses leave show biz to get married and raise a family. Others leave show biz to enroll in kindergarten. We will start with Baby Sandy’s last film at age five and go back to the very beginning, when Universal’s popular star was barely one year old and had the whole world in front of her.

1.09         Cable bill increases

Anyone else's cable bill going up...?

1.10         Technicolor westerns with shades of black and white

An appreciation of Jacques Tourneur’s CANYON PASSAGE, which paved the way for Anthony Mann’s morally ambiguous Technicolor westerns.

1.11         2015 Golden Globe Awards

The awards season kicks off tonight.

1.12         Luise Rainer Oscars

A celebration of Luise Rainer's life and work as an actress.

1.13         Amnesia in the movies

Whether played for laughs or serious drama, memory loss is a frequently used plot device in classic films. A quick study of three movies that use amnesia in different ways.