Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Joe Cocker (1944-2014)

jakeem

British singer Joe Cocker has died at the age of 70.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30582761

He provided some of my favorite moments in Michael Wadleigh's Oscar-winning 1970 documentary "Woodstock."

And then there was the amazing time that John Belushi did his Cocker imitation alongside the man himself on a 1976 edition of NBC"s "Saturday Night Live."

• Like 2

Cocker and Jennifer Warnes performed the No. 1 hit "Up Where We Belong," the theme song from "An Officer and a Gentleman" (1982). The song won Oscars for its writers -- Jack Nitzsche, Buffy Sainte-Marie and Will Jennings. 

British singer Joe Cocker has died at the age of 70.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30582761

He provided some of my favorite moments in Michael Wadleigh's Oscar-winning 1970 documentary "Woodstock."

And then there was the amazing time that John Belushi did his Cocker imitation alongside the man himself on a 1976 edition of NBC"s "Saturday Night Live."

How sad. 

He certainly was unique.

Loved his rendition of "Cry Me a River" even more than Julie London's.

Yep, "unique" would probably best describe his vocal style, and of which I always thought benefited any and all songs he ever covered, and thus making them uniquely his own.

(...and, for those who may not know why he adopted his signature "gyrations" while singing, supposedly it was because Ray Charles was one of his idols, and he felt by doing that he was channeling Brother Ray a bit)

Didn't find out until this morning.

Certainly one of a kind.  Someone else in another forum I belong to said they liked HIS version of "The Letter" better than the Box Tops' version.

I asserted that I knew a few guys who actually thought Joe WAS the Box Top's former lead singer.  Probably due to both having that raspy voice.

But it was amazing the amount of soul joe could inject into a song.  A unique vocalist ASIDE from his performance antics, AND probably, he was the GRANDADDY of all "air" guitarists...

Like in the lyrics of a song I once heard him sing:

"Another good brother done reached out and turned off the light!"

Goodbye, Joe.  Loved you while you were with us, glad there's stil recordings to find...

Sepiatone

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings