Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ultimate GEORGE SANDERS thread

Wallace Beery was featured on SUTS a couple years ago, and apparently was SOTM about 15 years ago. Why, did he kill some one?

Thelma Todd was featured, too, but there's nothing immoral about being on the receiving end. Gotta say, I find this whole murder/suicide thing pretty far-fetched (however, Charles Boyers absence is a bit surprising.)

It's funny that you ask if Beery ever killed someone because I've read that he may have been involved in the death of Ted Healy, who was beaten so severely outside a nightclub and didn't survive.

It's funny that you ask if Beery ever killed someone because I've read that he may have been involved in the death of Ted Healy, who was beaten so severely outside a nightclub and didn't survive.

I love Wallace Beery's screen persona, but this part of his Wiki entry kind of cracked me up:

A noteworthy episode in Beery's life is chronicled in the 5th episode of Ken Burns' documentary The National Parks: America's Best Idea: In 1943, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed an executive order creating Jackson Hole National Monument to protect the land adjoining the Grand Tetons in Wyoming. Local ranchers, outraged at the loss of grazing lands, compared FDR's action to Hitler's taking of Austria. Led by an aging Beery, they protested by herding 500 cattle across the monument lands without a permit.

Wallace Beery was featured on SUTS a couple years ago, and apparently was SOTM about 15 years ago. Why, did he kill some one?

Thelma Todd was featured, too, but there's nothing immoral about being on the receiving end. Gotta say, I find this whole murder/suicide thing pretty far-fetched (however, Charles Boyers absence is a bit surprising.)

It's not far-fetched. Many find suicide to be unseemly. Boyer has never been featured? It's got to be the suicide.

GIG YOUNG hasn't got a hope in hell of ever being a Star Of The Month then; he killed his new bride and then himself in late 1978. 

I thought GEORGE SANDERS and CHARLES BOYER both ended their lives by taking an overdose of Seconal.  I could be wrong about their 'drug of choice', though.

Charles Boyer's wife had died just a few days before he decided to OD on Aug. 26, 1978.  Boyer would have been 79 on Aug. 28, btw, and his only child committed suicide in 1965 though I do not recall in what manner.  His last film was 1976's "A Matter of Time". 

The cartoon character Pepe Le Pew was based on Boyer just in case anyone wasn't aware.  Boyer's manner also popped in at least two Tom & Jerry cartoons (see "ZOOT CAT, The" and "SOLID SERENADE").   

Is there a movie star or a director or writer who dodged the Vietnam War draft, later rose to prominence and then offed himself -- preferably in a fun way like lying down on some railroad tracks and getting mangled to bits by a fast-moving freight?  If so, that would make for a juicy SOTM selection. 

It's not far-fetched. Many find suicide to be unseemly. Boyer has never been featured? It's got to be the suicide.

Do you really think so? Usually when a Star of the Month is featured, the cause (even the date) of death is seldom mentioned in the wraparounds. And much of their early childhood is not even mentioned. The focus is usually on the Hollywood legacy, on the films that were made.

Is there a movie star or a director or writer who dodged the Vietnam War draft, later rose to prominence and then offed himself -- preferably in a fun way like lying down on some railroad tracks and getting mangled to bits by a fast-moving freight?  If so, that would make for a juicy SOTM selection. 

I think that jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge is even MORE fun.

• Like 1

I've updated the thread title, to suggest George Sanders for December-- though I am sure Frank Sinatra will be selected (he would have been 100 at the end of this year).

..and if Sinatra is NOT selected, there will be a mafia hit on Robert Osborne.

..and if Sinatra is NOT selected, there will be a mafia hit on Robert Osborne.

LOL...funny. 

I hope they are able to get some of Sinatra's Fox films, like VON RYAN'S EXPRESS which I love.

I've updated the thread title, to suggest George Sanders for December-- though I am sure Frank Sinatra will be selected (he would have been 100 at the end of this year).

I hope you are wrong (no disrespect to Sinatra but he has had plenty of salutes) but I fear you are right!

Lydecker

Last night I watched LURED 1947 for the first time. Lucille Ball was beautiful, Charles Coburn always and dependable, and George Sanders marvelous. How nice to see him in a good guy role. Now I know why you would like him to SOTM.

• Like 3

Last night I watched LURED 1947 for the first time. Lucille Ball was beautiful, Charles Coburn always and dependable, and George Sanders marvelous. How nice to see him in a good guy role. Now I know why you would like him to SOTM.

Exactly. It's a dream cast, all in their prime and doing excellent work.

You are evaluating Lucille Ball for more favorably than others did when she was only in films.

Have you seen the film?  How about The Dark Corner a noir Ball is in?     I only ask because I wonder how your evaluating Ball in Lured if you have never seen the film. 

• Like 2

Have you seen the film?  How about The Dark Corner a noir Ball is in?     I only ask because I wonder how your evaluating Ball in Lured if you have never seen the film. 

I am doing nothing. Lucy was never recognized as a MAJOR talent until TV.

I am doing nothing. Lucy was never recognized as a MAJOR talent until TV.

Well the fact that some people are clueless in never recognizing Lucy as a major talent until T.V. is an issue with them,  not Lucy.

I recommend people watch her 40s films,  like Lured and The Dark Corner and judge for themselves.    Also the reason I not letting go is because you made the point many months ago that you couldn't see George Sanders and Lucy having any screen chemistry.    At that time I asked that you actually SEE the movie before forming an opinion.    So you're right, you're doing nothing.   SEE THE MOVIE.  

Well the fact that some people are clueless in never recognizing Lucy as a major talent until T.V. is an issue with them,  not Lucy.

I recommend people watch her 40s films,  like Lured and The Dark Corner and judge for themselves.    Also the reason I not letting go is because you made the point many months ago that you couldn't see George Sanders and Lucy having any screen chemistry.    At that time I asked that you actually SEE the movie before forming an opinion.    So you're right, you're doing nothing.   SEE THE MOVIE.  

You may be using the benefit of twenty-twenty hindsight. You know what she did on TV, and you are assessing her films with that in mind. Those that were there in the '40s had no idea what was to come with "I Love Lucy".

Lured and The Dark Corner are both fine films.  I only wish she'd made more along those lines.