Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ultimate GEORGE SANDERS thread

AndyM108, look for:

"Two Smart People"--(1946)--a film noir starring Lucy & John Hodiak(?)

"Five Came Back"--(1939)--adventure film starring Lucy--don't know if this is your preferred genre or not, but it was a change of pace role that showed RKO she was capable of more than comedy.

• Like 1

Top Billed, Yesterday I went thru my FILM NOIR third edition book edited by Alain Silver and Elizabeth Ward. Since I am a Amazon Prime member, I wanted to make a list of the actors and actreses who starred in film noirs. Sure it took me awhile, the results were worth my time. Amazon Prime yielded at three page list of noirs that I want to see. Your recommendation of THE STRANGE AFFAIR OF UNCLE HARRY 1945 showed up. George Sanders works in a fabric factory in a New England town. he lives with his two sisters Lettie and Hester. Hester (Mona McGill) is a widow and a busybody. She likes to bake to the consternation of their housekeeper Sara Allgood. Hester is a saint compared to her younger sister Lettie (Geraldine Fitzgerald).A beautiful spoiled Lettie is a hypochondriac who does nothing but lounge, and she has love for her bachelor brother Harry (George Sanders). Harry works hard supporting the household, and he is easygoing. Ella Raines works for the main office in another city.She comes to visit Harry`s factory, and they are soon a couple. Ella decides to transfer to be near Harry to the consternation of Lettie. When Harry and Ella are about to elope, Lettie has feigned a attack while attending church. Harry has been trying to sell the homestead for six months, but Lettie dislikes any home she is shown by the realtor. Ella is fed up with Lettie, and she tells Harry that they leave now or never. Harry cannot bring himself to leave Lettie who is hospitalized. Ella departs leaving Harry to marry a manager from the main office. Harry is crushed, but Lettie is ecstatic. After three weeks in bed, she leaps out of bed after hearing Ella married another man. I will not give the ending away because the film had to adhere to the Production Code. For me the finale was strange, but it did not take away from the fine performances of the whole cast. The direction by film noir expert, Robert Siodmak also was excellant. After seeing George Sanders as a cad in REBECCA and a caustic wit in ALL ABOUT EVE, I have now seen him in two good decent men roles, LURED And THE STRANGE AFFAIR OF UNCLE HARRY.George has my vote for a SOTM slot.

• Like 4

Last night I watched LURED 1947 for the first time. Lucille Ball was beautiful, Charles Coburn always and dependable, and George Sanders marvelous. How nice to see him in a good guy role. Now I know why you would like him to SOTM.

OK all you George fans out there, you have diluted the posts with Lucille Ball, do you have attention deficit disorder?  Let's stick to promoting George for SOTM (surely some TCM staffer reviews these posts) and keep after it.  We have all only been focusing on this for almost a year...let us keep the post focused on George and then we can move on...as my mother used tell me, "Emily, do one thing at a time and you will do it well".

OK all you George fans out there, you have diluted the posts with Lucille Ball, do you have attention deficit disorder?  Let's stick to promoting George for SOTM (surely some TCM staffer reviews these posts) and keep after it.  We have all only been focusing on this for almost a year...let us keep the post focused on George and then we can move on...as my mother used tell me, "Emily, do one thing at a time and you will do it well".

My mother used to tell ME, "Down Goes Frazier, you were born to be a multi-tasker".

My mother used to tell ME, "Down Goes Frazier, you were born to be a multi-tasker".

Multi-tasking might be fine...but not if we want to make progress on promoting George for SOTM.  I read his biography and was really fascinated.  His life played out, in some cases, like his movie characters and I will say this...he was a multi-tasker when it came to women.

Multi-tasking might be fine...but not if we want to make progress on promoting George for SOTM.  I read his biography and was really fascinated.  His life played out, in some cases, like his movie characters and I will say this...he was a multi-tasker when it came to women.

Who is "We"? I'm in the Warren William brigade.

Top Billed, Yesterday I went thru my FILM NOIR third edition book edited by Alain Silver and Elizabeth Ward. Since I am a Amazon Prime member, I wanted to make a list of the actors and actreses who starred in film noirs. Sure it took me awhile, the results were worth my time. Amazon Prime yielded at three page list of noirs that I want to see. Your recommendation of THE STRANGE AFFAIR OF UNCLE HARRY 1945 showed up. George Sanders works in a fabric factory in a New England town. he lives with his two sisters Lettie and Hester. Hester (Mona McGill) is a widow and a busybody. ..After seeing George Sanders as a cad in REBECCA and a caustic wit in ALL ABOUT EVE, I have now seen him in two good decent men roles, LURED And THE STRANGE AFFAIR OF UNCLE HARRY.George has my vote for a SOTM slot.

The interesting thing is that Moyna MacGill was the real-life mother of Angela Lansbury-- and George Sanders acted opposite Angela in THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY and THE PRIVATE AFFAIRS OF BEL AMI.

• Like 1

Top Billed, Yesterday I went thru my FILM NOIR third edition book edited by Alain Silver and Elizabeth Ward. Since I am a Amazon Prime member, I wanted to make a list of the actors and actreses who starred in film noirs. Sure it took me awhile, the results were worth my time. Amazon Prime yielded at three page list of noirs that I want to see. Your recommendation of THE STRANGE AFFAIR OF UNCLE HARRY 1945 showed up. George Sanders works in a fabric factory in a New England town. he lives with his two sisters Lettie and Hester. Hester (Mona McGill) is a widow and a busybody. She likes to bake to the consternation of their housekeeper Sara Allgood. Hester is a saint compared to her younger sister Lettie (Geraldine Fitzgerald).A beautiful spoiled Lettie is a hypochondriac who does nothing but lounge, and she has love for her bachelor brother Harry (George Sanders). Harry works hard supporting the household, and he is easygoing. Ella Raines works for the main office in another city.She comes to visit Harry`s factory, and they are soon a couple. Ella decides to transfer to be near Harry to the consternation of Lettie. When Harry and Ella are about to elope, Lettie has feigned a attack while attending church. Harry has been trying to sell the homestead for six months, but Lettie dislikes any home she is shown by the realtor. Ella is fed up with Lettie, and she tells Harry that they leave now or never. Harry cannot bring himself to leave Lettie who is hospitalized. Ella departs leaving Harry to marry a manager from the main office. Harry is crushed, but Lettie is ecstatic. After three weeks in bed, she leaps out of bed after hearing Ella married another man. I will not give the ending away because the film had to adhere to the Production Code. For me the finale was strange, but it did not take away from the fine performances of the whole cast. The direction by film noir expert, Robert Siodmak also was excellant. After seeing George Sanders as a cad in REBECCA and a caustic wit in ALL ABOUT EVE, I have now seen him in two good decent men roles, LURED And THE STRANGE AFFAIR OF UNCLE HARRY.George has my vote for a SOTM slot.

I have the second edition of Film Noir (Silver \ Ward).   One question;  in the appendix under "Actors and Actresses' for Robert Ryan does it list the movies Johnny O'clock and Out of the Past?   It does it the second edition and that is an error since Ryan wasn't in those movies.   I just wonder if they caught it by the time they released the 3rd edition.  

• Like 1

I have the second edition of Film Noir (Silver \ Ward).   One question;  in the appendix under "Actors and Actresses' for Robert Ryan does it list the movies Johnny O'clock and Out of the Past?   It does it the second edition and that is an error since Ryan wasn't in those movies.   I just wonder if they caught it by the time they released the 3rd edition.  

Unfortunately the third edition has the same mistake. The proof reader was a knucklehead for not catching the mistake. I love my book and refer to it everyday. We can have our own film noir festivals at home with a list and a laptop. Two film noirs are being shown soon. THE BREAKING POINT 1951 on Sunday, and THIEVES HIGHWAY 1949 on Monday.

The interesting thing is that Moyna MacGill was the real-life mother of Angela Lansbury-- and George Sanders acted opposite Angela in THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY and THE PRIVATE AFFAIRS OF BEL AMI.

Angela looked a lot like her mother. THE STRANGE AFFAIR OF UNCLE HARRY was the first time I had seen Moyna in a movie. I also wanted to see this film for Geraldine Fitzgerald`s performance. Her son Michael Lindsay-Hogg wrote his autobiography entitled Luck and Circumstance. Michael loved his mother very much, and the book has been an enjoyable read.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the third edition has the same mistake. The proof reader was a knucklehead for not catching the mistake. I love my book and refer to it everyday. We can have our own film noir festivals at home with a list and a laptop. Two film noirs are being shown soon. THE BREAKING POINT 1951 on Sunday, and THIEVES HIGHWAY 1949 on Monday.

Well maybe they will fix it by the 10th edition.  I noticed this years back when someone at this forum asked who did more noirs Ryan or Mitchum.    Luckily I noticed the mistake before posting. 

Yea,  I have the book out in the T.V. room since I refer to it very often.     The Breaking Point is a fine movie and one of Garfield's best films.   Bleak and uplifting with one of the most final scenes ever (the kid on the dock).        Good to see TCM showing Thieves Highway since that is a 20th Century Fox noir.   Typically I have to watch MOVIES-TV to see noirs from that studio (with all the dang commercials).

• Like 1

Angela looked a lot like her mother. THE STRANGE AFFAIR OF UNCLE HARRY was the first time I had seen Moyna in a movie. I also wanted to see this film for Geraldine Fitzgerald`s performance. Her son Michael Lindsay-Hogg wrote his autobiography entitled Luck and Circumstance. Michael loved his mother very much, and the book has been an enjoyable read.

Moyna MacGill has a memorable scene in THE CLOCK...and she is in the remake of KIND LADY which also features her daughter Angela.

If TCM made George Sanders Star of the Month, they could have Angela Lansbury say a few words about him.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Not long ago in the thread, I mentioned that George Sanders and Angela Lansbury had costarred in THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY and THE PRIVATE AFFAIRS OF BEL AMI. But I forgot to mention SAMSON AND DELILAH, which was produced a few years later.

Sanders plays the Saran of Gaza. Not sure if he's related to Saran Wrap...and Lansbury is Semadar in DeMille's hit film.

Frank Sinatra is going to be Star of the Month in December, so I should probably change the thread title to January...right? :)

Well, I suppose that Frank Sinatra is the likeliest candidate, but I wouldn't entirely discount the possibility that TCM might go with someone else.

Sinatra was previously the SOTM back in May of 2008 (for the second time, it's worth noting). At that time TCM devoted an unprecedented two nights per week to Frank, and featured interviews with Nancy and Frank Jr. That made it (arguably) the most extensive SOTM tribute in the network's history. Repeating 'Ole Blue Eyes' as SOTM less than ten years later does seem a bit repetitive, not that this alone precludes some kind of tribute in honor of his centenary.

At any rate, I expect we'll find out after the long weekend who will be honored as the last SOTM of 2015

• Like 1

Well, I suppose that Frank Sinatra is the likeliest candidate, but I wouldn't entirely discount the possibility that TCM might go with someone else.

Sinatra was previously the SOTM back in May of 2008 (for the second time, it's worth noting). At that time TCM devoted an unprecedented two nights per week to Frank, and featured interviews with Nancy and Frank Jr. That made it (arguably) the most extensive SOTM tribute in the network's history. Repeating 'Ole Blue Eyes' as SOTM less than ten years later does seem a bit repetitive, not that this alone precludes some kind of tribute in honor of his centenary.

At any rate, I expect we'll find out after the long weekend who will be honored as the last SOTM of 2015

They've honored Greer Garson three times (each decade TCM has been on air)...and I see them doing the same for Frank.

They would probably update those tributes from Nancy and Frank Jr. and perhaps include other family members. 

If they didn't honor Frank Sinatra on what would have been his 100th birthday, I actually think there'd be a lot of complaining on these boards.

They've honored Greer Garson three times (each decade TCM has been on air)...and I see them doing the same for Frank.

They would probably update those tributes from Nancy and Frank Jr. and perhaps include other family members. 

If they didn't honor Frank Sinatra on what would have been his 100th birthday, I actually think there'd be a lot of complaining on these boards.

I like Sinatra both as a singer and as an actor, but I sure wouldn't complain if we got George Sanders instead.

• Like 3

All right you George Sanders fans,come back out of the woodwork and let's get busy for 2016.  Along the way we could throw in his brother, Tom Conway as an added bonus.   I could use a day of the Saint with both George and Tom as well as some of their other movies. 

Anyway I am very disappointed in Top Billed for not keeping this at the forefront of TCM readers.  Sorry..but I just get tired of looking through the calendars for sightings of George. 

All right you George Sanders fans,come back out of the woodwork and let's get busy for 2016.  Along the way we could throw in his brother, Tom Conway as an added bonus.   I could use a day of the Saint with both George and Tom as well as some of their other movies. 

Anyway I am very disappointed in Top Billed for not keeping this at the forefront of TCM readers.  Sorry..but I just get tired of looking through the calendars for sightings of George. 

Top Billed has been changing the month of this thread each month George is missed.  What more do you want from the guy.

TB will keep do this until George is SOTM.   I think it will happen in 2016  (of course I felt the same about 2015!).

• Like 1

Top Billed has been changing the month of this thread each month George is missed.  What more do you want from the guy.

TB will keep do this until George is SOTM.   I think it will happen in 2016  (of course I felt the same about 2015!).

Thanks. LOL  Yes, I have been keeping the Sanders for SOTM discussion going as best I can!

Probably a good way is to just comment on the many excellent performances he gave over the years. And even if he never is chosen as SOTM on TCM, we will at least have a nice thread that pays tribute to him.