Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ultimate GEORGE SANDERS thread

Coming up to the 15th, I wonder if TCM is working on this.

Fingers crossed, we will see. I have a feeling they will feature Ingrid. Or if not her, it will be a repeat/overplayed star. I would be pleasantly (very pleasantly) surprised if it's George Sanders.

Fingers crossed, we will see. I have a feeling they will feature Ingrid. Or if not her, it will be a repeat/overplayed star. I would be pleasantly (very pleasantly) surprised if it's George Sanders.

I would be surprised if Ingrid Bergman is SOTM in September, because she's already getting 24 hours near the end of August for SUTS. Having said that, there is some precedent for such a move. In 2014, Cary Grant became the first actor in TCM's history to be featured during SUTS and as SOTM in the same calendar year.

Also, given this month's SOTM -- the 'pin-up girl' -- and next month's Shirley Temple SOTM festival, I would expect September's SOTM to be a man.

I would be surprised if Ingrid Bergman is SOTM in September, because she's already getting 24 hours near the end of August for SUTS. Having said that, there is some precedent for such a move. In 2014, Cary Grant became the first actor in TCM's history to be featured during SUTS and as SOTM in the same calendar year.

Also, given this month's SOTM -- the 'pin-up girl' -- and next month's Shirley Temple SOTM festival, I would expect September's SOTM to be a man.

Hadn't thought about that, barton-- you may be right. But since there are more men being featured in August (16 male stars, 15 female stars), TCM may not even allow gender to be a consideration when selecting the September Star of the Month.

In recent years we had Lauren Bacall, Kirk Douglas and Kim Novak in September. It tends to be an overplayed star/friend of TCM.

• 2 weeks later...

Since Susan Hayward was selected as Star of the Month for September 2015, I thought I'd update the title of the thread. 

Please,TCM, it would be so good if I did not have to keep updating this thread... :)

Since Susan Hayward was selected as Star of the Month for September 2015, I thought I'd update the title of the thread. 

Please,TCM, it would be so good if I did not have to keep updating this thread... :)

Whoever you want, keep pushing on these boards. It looks like our, with props to yours truly, campaign for Susan Hayward was effective.

Whoever you want, keep pushing on these boards. It looks like our, with props to yours truly, campaign for Susan Hayward was effective.

Well, that's good to know. Glad the programmers agreed that Hayward was deserving of a tribute. Hopefully, they will agree about George Sanders, too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I thought we'd find out October's schedule today. Maybe later this week...?

It looks like all forthcoming schedules won't appear until the third week of the month. At least that's what the previous 2 months have shown.

It looks like all forthcoming schedules won't appear until the third week of the month. At least that's what the previous 2 months have shown.

Thanks cody. Yes, this is something that changed when Jennifer Dorian assumed the top post.

Well, that's good to know. Glad the programmers agreed that Hayward was deserving of a tribute. Hopefully, they will agree about George Sanders, too. :)

Yes, here's hoping about George. Ghost and Mrs. Muir was on again yesterday, and boy did he do weasel well!

• Like 1

not seeing ANYthing but dates??

I get that a lot, too. Can't seem to determine what makes it work when it works. You can try going to another month's schedule and adjusting the date on the URL address, but I can't make any guarantees.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but... David Niven is SOTM. Ah, could be worse, I suppose, so far as repeats go, but hardly Halloween sporting.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?tz=est&sdate=2015-10-01

Thanks Kay for the update/info. I think they could have done better than Niven, but I am sure there are plenty of people who might be happy with that choice.

I get that a lot, too. Can't seem to determine what makes it work when it works. You can try going to another month's schedule and adjusting the date on the URL address, but I can't make any guarantees.

yup, that worked :)

Thanks!

yup, that worked :)

Thanks!

Not for me.  They must know that I don't approve of Niven.  Maybe they'll get around to Sanders on the 100th anniversary of his death, after they've honored Al Jolson and every member of the Mickey Mouse Club.

• Like 2

David Niven before George Sanders (and about a dozen other more worthy potential SOTMs)???!!

What can the programmers be thinking?

And you can probably count out November and several more months after that, since it's unlikely they would tribute two English people that close together. You guys are right, this stinks.