Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ultimate GEORGE SANDERS thread

As well it should.  And after watching Richard Basehart give another first rate performance in the largely unknown Finger of Guilt, his name popped into mind as another underrated actor who's most deserving of a SOTM treatment.  Not only is he in many memorable noirs, but I just now see that he once played the lead role in a movie called Hitler!  Great googamooga!

I remember TCM airing HITLER once a few years ago. One of Basehart's best performances. He also turns up in an episode of Columbo. On Amazon Prime, a mid-50s western he made called CANYON CROSSROADS, and a British comedy with Simone Simon called THE EXTRA DAY, are available for viewing. He had a long and varied career and worked in all genres, like George Sanders.

As well it should.  And after watching Richard Basehart give another first rate performance in the largely unknown Finger of Guilt, his name popped into mind as another underrated actor who's most deserving of a SOTM treatment.  Not only is he in many memorable noirs, but I just now see that he once played the lead role in a movie called Hitler!  Great googamooga!

Whenever we discuss films about the film industry, FINGER OF GUILT is never mentioned. Maybe it should be. Very good film.

Whenever we discuss films about the film industry, FINGER OF GUILT is never mentioned. Maybe it should be. Very good film.

I mentioned Finger of Guilt in part because I'd never even heard of it before its recent 8:15 AM showing just 9 days ago.  One of the very few problems I have with TCM is the way it too often relegates little known gems like Finger of Guilt to the daytime or overnight hours, while showing endless prime time repeats of the same old movies. 

Of course the chief culprit here is "The Essentials", but this dubious practice also extends to the other six evenings as well. If I weren't retired and able to escape a normal workday, there's very little chance that I would've ever discovered Finger of Guilt, or many other hundreds of forgotten movies of similarly high quality.  In many ways TCM is a bit like our health care system:  You don't really get full value out of it until you turn 65.  B)

• Like 3

I mentioned Finger of Guilt in part because I'd never even heard of it before its recent 8:15 AM showing just 9 days ago.  One of the very few problems I have with TCM is the way it too often relegates little known gems like Finger of Guilt to the daytime or overnight hours, while showing endless prime time repeats of the same old movies. 

Of course the chief culprit here is "The Essentials", but this dubious practice also extends to the other six evenings as well. If I weren't retired and able to escape a normal workday, there's very little chance that I would've ever discovered Finger of Guilt, or many other hundreds of forgotten movies of similarly high quality.  In many ways TCM is a bit like our health care system:  You don't really get full value out of it until you turn 65.  B)

Thank goodness for DVRs, right..? One thing we have to keep in mind is that TCM airs 24 hours of classic films every day of the year. A channel like FXM Retro only spends part of its day broadcasting a limited library of films (from one studio). 

• Like 1

Thank goodness for DVRs, right..? One thing we have to keep in mind is that TCM airs 24 hours of classic films every day of the year. A channel like FXM Retro only spends part of its day broadcasting a limited library of films (from one studio). 

I use a DVD recorder rather than a DVR, and it's safe to say that the overwhelming majority of great films I've gotten off TCM have been between midnight and 8:00 PM the next day, probably well over 90%.  Their prime time movies are a great introduction for new TCM viewers, but after a year or two it seems that they're nearly 100% repeats, with a few sterling exceptions like Too Late For Tears.  The only upside to this scheduling pattern is that I've never had to miss many prime time ballgames in order to catch a movie for the first time.

• Like 1

Reading through this thread I was shocked Sanders was never chosen. And he never had a SUTS day either?

Well I hope TCM is inspired by this thread.

At this point I'm half wondering if some unknown Sanders hater isn't blackmailing some unknown TCM programmer, since there's no rational reason for ignoring an actor of Sanders' stature for these many years.  But hope springs eternal. :)

• Like 1

I use a DVD recorder rather than a DVR, and it's safe to say that the overwhelming majority of great films I've gotten off TCM have been between midnight and 8:00 PM the next day, probably well over 90%.  Their prime time movies are a great introduction for new TCM viewers, but after a year or two it seems that they're nearly 100% repeats, with a few sterling exceptions like Too Late For Tears.  The only upside to this scheduling pattern is that I've never had to miss many prime time ballgames in order to catch a movie for the first time.

From 2008 (when I first got TCM) to 2010, I would record everything on the DVR then make copies on VHS (a mistake because when I moved a few years later I dumped all those tapes since it would have been a fortune to ship them). From 2010 to 2015 I did the same thing, except I used a DVD recorder and made discs. I must have recorded a few thousand discs but this spring when I was getting ready to move again, I started looking at some of the discs and I found that if I had recorded them on Standard Definition channels, they looked terrible when I played them back on my new HD television. So I started pitching those discs, too. I also had some duplicates. I whittled that pile of films down to around 1000 and did ship them from Wisconsin to Colorado recently. They are in one of my walk-in closets at the new house, but I am not sure if I will watch them. I may end up pitching them too (again, more money down the drain).

At the new place, I decided after much consideration not to get cable. Only internet. When I was vacationing in Chicago, on my way to Colorado, the friends I stayed with had a smart TV and just used Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus and Youbute which I realized is the way to go, because it is mostly all HD (with the exception being Youtube). I wasn't crazy about having to buy digital copies of films again, but I realized that this is the wave of the future. No more recording, no more VHS or DVDs. No more cable (which ends up saving a lot of money in the long run and pays for the digital purchases).

The other thing that helped me make this transition was that a very helpful person here on the boards private messaged me when she found out I love British films from the 40s and 50s. She has been sharing her digital files on Google drive, and I have been able to start downloading some of those on to flashdrives, which I can then insert into the side of my smart TV and watch that way, or else watch on my laptop.

So now I do not have to worry about whether something airs at 4:30 in the morning on TCM or FXM Retro. And because I am going digital with all this stuff, my only storage issues involve tiny flashdrives-- or else I can just send the downloaded files to one of my email accounts and keep them that way. In the meantime, I am finding a lot of great films from Republic, Paramount and Universal on Amazon that TCM never or seldom airs.

And I still do have the 1000 discs and a DVD player in case I want to look at the overplayed films in the TCM library I recorded on HD. So I feel I have been able to broaden my knowledge of classic film, and I am no longer depending on cable or on a limited library with occasional premieres to do it. I have much more control over my own classic film inventory now.

When TCM moves away from cable (which I hope they do sooner rather than later), I will be able to subscribe to watch TCM online with only a small subscription that I pay directly to TCM, which I would do for those occasional premieres and special programming. But if TCM continues to be available only on cable, then I can do without it.

Reading through this thread I was shocked Sanders was never chosen. And he never had a SUTS day either?

Well I hope TCM is inspired by this thread.

I hope so too, Kinokima. 

On Amazon Prime, I see that NURSE EDITH CAVELL is available for viewing, a drama RKO made in 1940 with Anna Neagle and Edna May Oliver. Sanders has a supporting role. I plan to watch it this afternoon.  

Have been looking this thread over & doing my own research--George Sanders was in 109 films (according to TCM's article on GS).  He did 2 Hitchcock films (Rebecca & Foreign Correspondent, both 1940)--he did 2 musicals (Call Me Madam, 1953 & Jupiter's Darling, 1955) where he did his own singing & received raves for his baritone voice--he did All About Eve (1950), for which he won an Oscar--he did numerous films where he was a lead or important supporting cast member ,"The Picture of Dorian Gray" (1945) & "The Last Voyage" (1960), being two that come immediately to mind.  TCM has been around since 1996(?)  Really, it's time to give this marvelous actor his own month--there's an abundance of riches to choose from, filmwise. :)

• Like 2

Have been looking this thread over & doing my own research--George Sanders was in 109 films (according to TCM's article on GS).  He did 2 Hitchcock films (Rebecca & Foreign Correspondent, both 1940)--he did 2 musicals (Call Me Madam, 1953 & Jupiter's Darling, 1955) where he did his own singing & received raves for his baritone voice--he did All About Eve (1950), for which he won an Oscar--he did numerous films where he was a lead or important supporting cast member ,"The Picture of Dorian Gray" (1945) & "The Last Voyage" (1960), being two that come immediately to mind.  TCM has been around since 1996(?)  Really, it's time to give this marvelous actor his own month--there's an abundance of riches to choose from, filmwise. :)

I believe TCM hit the airwaves in the spring of 1994, but your point is well taken. 

He also did another musical, MGM's BITTER SWEET with Nelson Eddy & Jeanette Macdonald, though I am not sure if he sang in that one, as it's been a while since I've watched it.

• Like 1

On AmazonPrime, I came across a George Sanders movie I had never heard about before-- one from the end of his career, made in 1968 to be exact. It was filmed in Africa and it costars Rosanna Brazzi, Ty Hardin and Pier Angeli. It was obviously a modestly budgeted affair and Sanders is billed as a guest star. It's not too terrible, and Sanders is great as always.

It's called KING OF AFRICA-- but it also can be found under its other title, ONE STEP TO HELL (which makes it sound like a Spaghetti western). It also has the Italian title CACCIA AI VIOLENTI, which translated into English means Violent Hunt.

Film is listed under TCM as "One Step to Hell"--also under its' Italian name.  Are no user reviews, so I'm guessing has never been shown on TCM.

Ty Hardin is definitely not a great actor (sorry Ty fans) and I believe this was one of Pier Angeli's last films (as she would commit suicide shortly thereafter). But it's worth watching for Sanders' performance, as well as Brazzi's. The on-location filming of Africa is truly spectacular.

I think PIER ANGELI's last movie was the 1971 sea opus 'OCTAMAN'. 

Yes, she died young and did not make too many movies at the end of her life. Incidentally, her twin (actress Marisa Pavan) is still living.

Two more George Sanders films I found recently on AmazonPrime (and they are good ones, folks)-- THE PRIVATE AFFAIRS OF BEL AMI, with Angela Lansbury, Ann Dvorak and Warren William. Don't miss this one...George is in top form as a cad. Also, AmazonPrime has another picture where the actor has a prominent lead part: THE STRANGE AFFAIR OF UNCLE HARRY, with Ella Raines.

Both titles have been restored by UCLA and the prints are immaculate.

I still feel today should have been George Sanders' day for SUTS. Tierney had a day a few years ago. And since THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR was selected for tonight's Essentials offering, they very easily could have made this a George Sanders day.

I still feel today should have been George Sanders' day for SUTS. Tierney had a day a few years ago. And since THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR was selected for tonight's Essentials offering, they very easily could have made this a George Sanders day.

I couldn't agree more. Interestingly, two of Sanders' films are Essentials this year, MRS. MUIR and THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY. I just don't see him getting a SOTM treatment in November, right after TCM salutes another slick British actor, David Niven in October. Sanders might be SOTM some time in 2016, though, especially if TCM splurges on re-acquiring ALL ABOUT EVE for next year's Oscar month.

I couldn't agree more. Interestingly, two of Sanders' films are Essentials this year, MRS. MUIR and THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY. I just don't see him getting a SOTM treatment in November, right after TCM salutes another slick British actor, David Niven in October. Sanders might be SOTM some time in 2016, though, especially if TCM splurges on re-acquiring ALL ABOUT EVE for next year's Oscar month.

And ALL ABOUT EVE could even be an Essential next year.