Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ultimate GEORGE SANDERS thread

You mean AAE has Never been an essential?!

I think It's only been in the last 4 or 5 years that All About Eve was even shown at all on TCM, and it's never been in their regular lineup.  Before that, you could watch it about 10 times a year on the Fox Movie Channel.

• Like 1

I think It's only been in the last 4 or 5 years that All About Eve was even shown at all on TCM, and it's never been in their regular lineup.  Before that, you could watch it about 10 times a year on the Fox Movie Channel.

ALL ABOUT EVE might have been an Essential, but it would have been before Alec Baldwin was co-host. I've been watching since Rose McGowan and I don't remember it being included since 2008.

ALL ABOUT EVE might have been an Essential, but it would have been before Alec Baldwin was co-host. I've been watching since Rose McGowan and I don't remember it being included since 2008.

For the record, Bette Davis was SOTM in May of 1999 and in May of 2006. She was also honored with SUTS days in 2003, 2004 and 2009.  In none of those months was All About Eve listed in the Now Playing guide.  I've been watching TCM like a hawk since September of 2009, and I only remember seeing it here for the first time in March of 2011.  In fact at the time I made a note to myself that this was the first time I'd seen it on TV other than on the Fox Movie Channel.  So while it might have been shown on TCM prior to that,  it doesn't really seem too likely.

• Like 2

For the record, Bette Davis was SOTM in May of 1999 and in May of 2006. She was also honored with SUTS days in 2003, 2004 and 2009.  In none of those months was All About Eve listed in the Now Playing guide.  I've been watching TCM like a hawk since September of 2009, and I only remember seeing it here for the first time in March of 2011.  In fact at the time I made a note to myself that this was the first time I'd seen it on TV other than on the Fox Movie Channel.  So while it might have been shown on TCM prior to that,  it doesn't really seem too likely.

Was 1999 the first time Bette Davis was SOTM? I remember a truly amazing Bette Davis series on TCM, with what seemed like dozens of movies, many of which I had never seen. It was shortly after cable came to my then neighborhood (Long Island City, Queens). But I actually thought it was a bit before 1999.

Was 1999 the first time Bette Davis was SOTM? I remember a truly amazing Bette Davis series on TCM, with what seemed like dozens of movies, many of which I had never seen. It was shortly after cable came to my then neighborhood (Long Island City, Queens). But I actually thought it was a bit before 1999.

SOTM began in May of 1994 with Greta Garbo, and among the honorees selected before Davis got hers five years later were Eleanor Parker, Kathryn Grayson, June Allyson, Walter Pidgeon, Red Skelton, and Dennis Morgan.  I wonder if the relative availability at the time of these actors' and actresses' films may have had a lot to do with their selections.

• Like 1

SOTM began in May of 1994 with Greta Garbo, and among the honorees selected before Davis got hers five years later were Eleanor Parker, Kathryn Grayson, June Allyson, Walter Pidgeon, Red Skelton, and Dennis Morgan.  I wonder if the relative availability at the time of these actors' and actresses' films may have had a lot to do with their selections.

Ready access to MGM and Warner films might explain some of these selections but of course Davis was under contract at WB starting in the early 30s until the late 40s so that still doesn't explain why she wasn't STOM before a WB contract player like Dennis Morgan.   George Brent was SOTM in May 1997.    Maybe TCM played enough Davis films that month to pass on Bette for 2 more years.  

Anyhow, I assume the relative availability explains MGM stars like Robert Young and Van Johnson during those first few TCM years in the late 90s.

I see what you are saying, but you are not exactly addressing whether or not ALL ABOUT EVE has ever been included in the Essentials series. When it aired in March 2011, was that at the tail end of the 31 Days of Oscar? Or was it a guest programmer selection, or maybe one of Bob's picks? I do not think it was a selection for Essentials, because I would have remembered if Alec Baldwin had commented on it.

Dennis Morgan as SOTM so early in the game is a head-scratcher.

• Like 1

I see what you are saying, but you are not exactly addressing whether or not ALL ABOUT EVE has ever been included in the Essentials series. When it aired in March 2011, was that at the tail end of the 31 Days of Oscar? Or was it a guest programmer selection, or maybe one of Bob's picks? I do not think it was a selection for Essentials, because I would have remembered if Alec Baldwin had commented on it.

Okay, I just looked it up, and All About Eve actually played twice that month, first as part of 31 Days of Oscar at 10:00 PM on Tuesday the 1st, and then again at 8:00 PM on Thursday the 31st.  So neither could have been part of The Essentials.

The first showing was a "Ben's pick", and the second showing was one of the Employee Picks, by TCM Marketing employee Gabrielle Ballard.  Neither of them appear to have been TCM premieres, though I have no idea when the movie played earlier.

• Like 2

Agree with DownGoesFrazier--why Dennis Morgan??  He had scattered leads & 2nd leads in "A" films through 1952, but he's less qualified than George Sanders--apologies to Morgan, who sang "A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody" in "The Great Ziegfeld" (1936) & did a few pleasant musicals through his career (It's A Great Feeling (1949), Shine on Harvest Moon (1943), etc, but was Not a  major leading man IMHO.

TopBilled--if you want George Sanders, TCM has already set a precedent for his selection, IMHO.

• Like 1

Agree with DownGoesFrazier--why Dennis Morgan??  He had scattered leads & 2nd leads in "A" films through 1952, but he's less qualified than George Sanders--apologies to Morgan, who sang "A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody" in "The Great Ziegfeld" (1936) & did a few pleasant musicals through his career (It's A Great Feeling (1949), Shine on Harvest Moon (1943), etc, but was Not a  major leading man IMHO.

TopBilled--if you want George Sanders, TCM has already set a precedent for his selection, IMHO.

In IN THIS OUR LIFE, George Brent is the more dynamic of the two younger men, and Brent was hardly a ball of fire.

• Like 1

Okay, I just looked it up, and All About Eve actually played twice that month, first as part of 31 Days of Oscar at 10:00 PM on Tuesday the 1st, and then again at 8:00 PM on Thursday the 31st.  So neither could have been part of The Essentials.

The first showing was a "Ben's pick", and the second showing was one of the Employee Picks, by TCM Marketing employee Gabrielle Ballard.  Neither of them appear to have been TCM premieres, though I have no idea when the movie played earlier.

According to TCM's records of the 2008 Essentials season, ALL ABOUT EVE was aired as an Essential during that year when R.O.'s co-host was actress Rose McGowan. I do not know if it was a TCM premiere at that time.

Addendum: Further research indicates that ALL ABOUT EVE aired on The Essentials on Bette Davis' 100th birthday (April 5, 2008). It was not a premiere then, though I'm unsure when it had previously aired.

According to TCM's records of the 2008 Essentials season, ALL ABOUT EVE was aired as an Essential during that year when R.O.'s co-host was actress Rose McGowan. I do not know if it was a TCM premiere at that time.

Addendum: Further research indicates that ALL ABOUT EVE aired on The Essentials on Bette Davis' 100th birthday (April 5, 2008). It was not a premiere then, though I'm unsure when it had previously aired.

Okay, the Now Playing Guides for 2008 indicate that not only was  All About Eve an Essential pick on Saturday, April 5th at 8:00 PM, but that was one of six (!) times it was shown on TCM that year, the first time in March and the last time in November.

After which James Mason's goons stuffed the entire cast into a moving van and hauled them off to an Indiana cornfield, where they weren't seen again until 2011.  They didn't want a bunch of Broadway parasites muscling in on their monopoly racket, and neither would you.

• Like 1

In IN THIS OUR LIFE, George Brent is the more dynamic of the two younger men, and Brent was hardly a ball of fire.

A ball of fire? He was a fire put out, stomped on, and blown away.

The man made oatmeal left out and gone bad look good.

A foolish question, but has anyone seen THE STRANGE WOMAN 1946 with George Sanders and Hedy Lamarr? Louis Hayward was again in the cast. I think that he was Ida Lupino`s first husband. At the present time I have seen DETOUR, STRANGE ILLUSION, HER SISTER`S SECRET, and RUTHLESS. Edgar G. Ulmer made all these film noirs on the cheap, and they made me wanting to more of his work.

sapphiere--not a foolish question.  This film gave Ulmer given a budget to work with--it's not super cheap looking like "Detour".  I think Ulmer did a good job & "The Strange Woman" (1946) is an underrated film.  That said, Hedy Lamarrs' performance is uneven--& she never totally got rid of her Viennese accent, which bothers some people but I find easy to listen to & understand--if the film is coming up on TCM or another channel you receive, yes, it's worth watching, IMHO.

• Like 1

A foolish question, but has anyone seen THE STRANGE WOMAN 1946 with George Sanders and Hedy Lamarr? Louis Hayward was again in the cast. I think that he was Ida Lupino`s first husband. At the present time I have seen DETOUR, STRANGE ILLUSION, HER SISTER`S SECRET, and RUTHLESS. Edgar G. Ulmer made all these film noirs on the cheap, and they made me wanting to more of his work.

Ulmer's best film is I believe The Black Cat.  But I sure would like to see Daughter of Dr. Jekyll again!  Here's the priceless blurb from Andrew Sarris' American Cinema: "Anyone who loves cinema must be moved by Daughter of Dr. Jekyll, a film with a scenario so atrocious that it takes 40 minutes to establish that the daughter of Dr. Jekyll is indeed the daughter of Dr. Jekyll. Ulmer's camera never falters even when his characters disintegrate." Of course the more serious interpreters of the genre would not agree with Sarris' use of the word "atrocious." 

https://books.google.com/books?id=yuwVdWhe9sgC&pg=PA188&lpg=PA188&dq=andrew+sarris+on+Edgar+Ulmer+American+Cinema&source=bl&ots=SZ0edL9a66&sig=ut9VoTIQMCvOOsA4TIV2SdelLA8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CEUQ6AEwB2oVChMIoc-MwouOxwIVDG0-Ch2LXgeb#v=onepage&q=andrew%20sarris%20on%20Edgar%20Ulmer%20American%20Cinema&f=false

• Like 1

All of these films are great. THE STRANGE WOMAN is an Amazon Prime pick. TCM has played it before, but several years ago. Sanders is excellent in it.

• Like 1

All of these films are great. THE STRANGE WOMAN is an Amazon Prime pick. TCM has played it before, but several years ago. Sanders is excellent in it.

Thanks for letting me know. I have been a Amazon Prime member since January. They have Adolphe Menjoe in THE FRONT PAGE and A FARWELL TO ARMS. THE MEN 1950 is available with Teresa Wright and Marlon Brando. I will have to find my video tape of FORBIDDEN 1932 with Adolphe and Barbara Stanwyck.

• Like 1

Returning to the original question posed by this thread's title, a thought just occurred to me as to why an actor as absurdly overqualified for SOTM as George Sanders has not only never received this honor, but hasn't even had a SUTS day.

So far we've heard various explanations, but none of them really stand up upon examination, because those same explanations could also apply to other actors who have been given the SOTM or SUTS treatments. 

Sanders wasn't a matinee idol, but neither were Peter Lorre, Charles Laughton,  Orson Welles, or Vincent Price.  You don't need to have been a matinee idol or even a "leading man" (Lorre was neither, once he left Germany) to get your SOTM tribute. 

Many of Sanders' movies were on Fox, but over the years TCM has shown more than enough films from Sanders' repertory to easily fill out a SOTM tribute, and with far more variety of roles than many of the traditional favorites. It's not as if TCM is boycotting his movies, only resisting the idea of honoring him. 

But here's one explanation that nobody's given, of a completely different nature:

No actor or actress who committed suicide has ever been featured for SOTM or SUTS. 

I know this seems farfetched, but it's not that hard to imagine some programmer whose religious beliefs view suicide as a "sin" might simply, and without explanation, find one lame reason after another for denying Sanders his long overdue honor.  It's not as if millions of people don't have this belief, strange as it may seem to the modern sensibility, and it also dovetails with wanting to maintain the sort of "positive" image that Hollywood and TCM like to project about the industry's most prominent public faces.

Not that I'd put money on this clearly unprovable theory, but after seeing year after year of second rate actors and multiple repeats being accorded these two honors, the excuses for not including George Sanders are wearing very thin.

If nothing else, I'd love to see or hear some official explanation for why this magnificent actor with 109 movies in his repertory has been left on the outside looking in after all these many years.

• Like 2

Returning to the original question posed by this thread's title, a thought just occurred to me as to why an actor as absurdly overqualified for SOTM as George Sanders has not only never received this honor, but hasn't even had a SUTS day.

So far we've heard various explanations, but none of them really stand up upon examination, because those same explanations could also apply to other actors who have been given the SOTM or SUTS treatments. 

Sanders wasn't a matinee idol, but neither were Peter Lorre, Charles Laughton,  Orson Welles, or Vincent Price.  You don't need to have been a matinee idol or even a "leading man" (Lorre was neither, once he left Germany) to get your SOTM tribute. 

Many of Sanders' movies were on Fox, but over the years TCM has shown more than enough films from Sanders' repertory to easily fill out a SOTM tribute, and with far more variety of roles than many of the traditional favorites. It's not as if TCM is boycotting his movies, only resisting the idea of honoring him. 

But here's one explanation that nobody's given, of a completely different nature:

No actor or actress who committed suicide has ever been featured for SOTM or SUTS. 

I know this seems farfetched, but it's not that hard to imagine some programmer whose religious beliefs view suicide as a "sin" might simply, and without explanation, find one lame reason after another for denying Sanders his long overdue honor.  It's not as if millions of people don't have this belief, strange as it may seem to the modern sensibility, and it also dovetails with wanting to maintain the sort of "positive" image that Hollywood and TCM like to project about the industry's most prominent public faces.

Not that I'd put money on this clearly unprovable theory, but after seeing year after year of second rate actors and multiple repeats being accorded these two honors, the excuses for not including George Sanders are wearing very thin.

If nothing else, I'd love to see or hear some official explanation for why this magnificent actor with 109 movies in his repertory has been left on the outside looking in after all these many years.

I stated a while ago that TCM has veered away from Sanders because he committed suicide.

• Like 1

Related question: these stars all committed suicide,

Charles Boyer (committed suicide 2 days after wife died)--1978(?)

Pier Angeli

Capucine

Have any of these stars been honored as SOTM or as part of month-long SUTS--  Thanks in advance to whoever answers.  :)

Edit: If any of these stars have been honored, then TCM's reasoning, assuming AndyM108 & DownGoesFrazier are correct--then that reason has just been popped like a bubble gum bubble. 

Related question: these stars all committed suicide,

Charles Boyer (committed suicide 2 days after wife died)--1978(?)

Pier Angeli

Capucine

Have any of these stars been honored as SOTM or as part of month-long SUTS--  Thanks in advance to whoever answers.  :)

Edit: If any of these stars have been honored, then TCM's reasoning, assuming AndyM108 & DownGoesFrazier are correct--then that reason has just been popped like a bubble gum bubble. 

No, none of them have ever been honored.  I checked that earlier but forgot to mention it.  My bad.

• Like 1