Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ultimate GEORGE SANDERS thread

Really?

Sanders blackballed because he got bored with life?

I think any man who was married to both Zsa Zsa Gabor and one of her sisters [Magda?] deserves a giant tribute both on tv and possibly at the Academy Awards just for putting up with them, and also Mama Jolie as mother-in-law.

I vote yes, for Sanders as SOTM.

Don't tell Diane Werts what we are doing or she might out us all in her highly sensitive blog!

• Like 2

Sapphiere,

I've seen "The Strange Woman" and all the others you mention and they are all fab.

Ulmer films are some of the most innovative and evocative of all films.

I'm so glad he had that affair with some bigwig's wife, which relegated him to the B's where he could really shine.

• Like 2

..nor has Margaret Sullavan been honored, has she?

No, the only Margarets who've been honored even with SUTS days are Margaret O'Brien (2010) and Ann-Margaret (nine days from today).  No Margarets have ever been SOTM.

No, the only Margarets who've been honored even with SUTS days are Margaret O'Brien (2010) and Ann-Margaret (nine days from today).  No Margarets have ever been SOTM.

Then I think we're really on to something. You can't have killed anyone, either yourself or anyone else. Fatty Arbuckle, Robert Blake, and O.J. Simpson have also never had a SUTS day. How about Wallace Beery?

What about Jean Harlow?  I know she didn't die by suicide, but she was widely speculated s having been the cause of her husbands', Paul Berns', suicide in 1932, by various sources.  Or possibly murdered/having him murdered.  I know the murder theory has pretty much been debunked, but...

What about Jean Harlow?  I know she didn't die by suicide, but she was widely speculated s having been the cause of her husbands', Paul Berns', suicide in 1932, by various sources.  Or possibly murdered/having him murdered.  I know the murder theory has pretty much been debunked, but...

If Beery, a big star , has never been either SUTSed or SOTMed, that would really prove our point.

• Like 1

I guess I should not hold my breath waiting for Tom Neal?

Do women who cause men to shoot each other or try to kill their inamorata's current love, get blackballed.

Poor old Barbara Payton is I guess a non-issue then.

How about incestuous type relationships, like Gloria Grahame marrying her step-son? Would that make her a persona non grata too?

Do women who cause men to shoot each other or try to kill their inamorata's current love, get blackballed.

How about incestuous type relationships, like Gloria Grahame marrying her step-son? Would that make her a persona non grata too?

Probably not, that seems to be OK, lol. Someone followed in those footsteps with a name that rhymes with Hoodie.

• Like 1

Really?

Sanders blackballed because he got bored with life?

I think any man who was married to both Zsa Zsa Gabor and one of her sisters [Magda?] deserves a giant tribute both on tv and possibly at the Academy Awards just for putting up with them, and also Mama Jolie as mother-in-law.

I vote yes, for Sanders as SOTM.

Don't tell Diane Werts what we are doing or she might out us all in her highly sensitive blog!

I am waiting for my George Sanders SUTS or SOTM....and TCM has no business judging any of the stars final actions....poor George may have gotten bored with life, but I am never bored with George. 

• Like 3

It certainly might make her persona non grata at her D.A.R. meetings.

Harlow has been Star of the Month (during the time when she would have been 100, had she lived).

• Like 1

Harlow has been SOTM twice:  March 2011 and May 2001.    

• Like 1

Andy,  you really believe that TCM looks at an actor's personal life when making a decision as it relates to who will be SOTM?

Ordinarily I wouldn't think so, but for the life of me I can't think of any rational reason for the continuing exclusion of George Sanders from both SOTM and SUTS.  It's as if the baseball writers were to pass up Greg Maddux or Randy Johnson for the Hall of Fame.  It just makes no sense whatever.  The man is ridiculously overqualified on the basis of his repertory, and it's now been 21 years and counting.

• Like 4

Ordinarily I wouldn't think so, but for the life of me I can't think of any rational reason for the continuing exclusion of George Sanders from both SOTM and SUTS.  It's as if the baseball writers were to pass up Greg Maddux or Randy Johnson for the Hall of Fame.  It just makes no sense whatever.  The man is ridiculously overqualified on the basis of his repertory, and it's now been 21 years and counting.

Maybe Sanders had a run-in with RO in the '60s.

In some ways one hopes there is a reason,  even if it was one that many people would feel wasn't fair or logical,  since a reason would explain the 'why not him',  as opposed to TCM just forgetting him  (the programmers couldn't be that clueless especially as it relates to SUTS due to his solid repertory).       :blink:

• Like 1

Well, there are many stars still waitng for a SOTM slot. Some due to the studios they mainly worked for (Fox, Paramount) In Sanders case it's probably because they dont consider him a big enough star.

I'm still waiting for Joan Bennett as SOTM (They did Connie)...........and Ann Harding too.

Great post.

There are two words that come to mind every time I watch George Sanders in a film-- customary excellence.

• Like 2

Then I think we're really on to something. You can't have killed anyone, either yourself or anyone else. Fatty Arbuckle, Robert Blake, and O.J. Simpson have also never had a SUTS day. How about Wallace Beery?

Wallace Beery was featured on SUTS a couple years ago, and apparently was SOTM about 15 years ago. Why, did he kill some one?

Thelma Todd was featured, too, but there's nothing immoral about being on the receiving end. Gotta say, I find this whole murder/suicide thing pretty far-fetched (however, Charles Boyers absence is a bit surprising.)

Wallace Beery was featured on SUTS a couple years ago, and apparently was SOTM about 15 years ago. Why, did he kill some one?

Thelma Todd was featured, too, but there's nothing immoral about being on the receiving end. Gotta say, I find this whole murder/suicide thing pretty far-fetched (however, Charles Boyers absence is a bit surprising.)

Yes Berry was SOTM in June 2000.