Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why do you think there are so many of the same movies repeated so often recently?

vic12

So, James, TopBilled, and Fred, what do you think of Izcutter's explanation?

i heard the TCM Librarian say on the air when he was a guest programmer that the reason they could put together a "salute" to some famous actors that have died recently is because they can pull films directly from the TCM LIBRARY which is IN ATLANTA. That's where he works, that's what he does, ie physically take films from the TCM Library and put them on the air within a few days after someone dies. Not every actor of course, but who ever they have in films that are on file IN THE TCM LIBRARY IN ATLANTA.

What lie is TCM telling?   The library of films TCM has is the films they currently have under lease.   Do you have any evidence RO or any other representative of TCM has said otherwise?      Again,  I wish TCM would show way less repeats.   e.g.  I was looking at the book The Films of Bette Davis and there are a lot of Warner Brother less known Davis films that TCM does NOT show.    Time Warner owns the rights to these films.   So why doesn't TCM lease these from the other TW company?     I would love to know the reason.    BUT the reason maybe as simple as the programmers don't feel TCM viewers are interested in these lesser known Davis films, so they show Now Voyager,  Dark Victory,  etc..   instead.  

I think you have seen the Stone movie JFK once to often!  

James,

I think you are stretching it when you define the TCM LIBRARY as the films TCM currently has under lease. As Fred indicated, a TCM staffer, a year or so ago, said something about having a library of films readily available in case of a stars death for a full day tribute. If these films have to be leased, they would have to be leased before the star died in order to be "readily" available for a last minute schedule change, which is impossible, unless TCM has an in with the angel of death. So, which is it, is there a TCM library or isn't there?   

i heard the TCM Librarian say on the air when he was a guest programmer that the reason they could put together a "salute" to some famous actors that have died is because they can pull films directly from the TCM LIBRARY which is IN ATLANTA. That's where he works, that's what he does, ie physically take films from the TCM Library and put them on the air within a few days after someone dies. Not every actor of course, but who ever they have in films that are on file IN THE TCM LIBRARY IN ATLANTA.

Well Fred it comes down to the context around how the term 'library' is used.    To me saying 'TCM Library' means the films TCM currently has under lease.    This is different then how Lzcutter used 'library' since he said 'Warner Brothers film library'.    To me that means all films owned by the Time Warner company.   According to Lzcutter TCM does NOT have access to ALL of the films in the Warner Brothers film library.

Well Fred it comes down to the context around how the term 'library' is used.   

A room in the TCM Time-Warner Atlanta facility with shelves in it, with the shelves filled with movies in some kind of electronic form. There are other "libraries" in other cities that require the films (in electronic form) being mailed to TCM in Atlanta or sent to them via satellite or some other electric form. So, they do have a local in-house library, and other companies' libraries they rent films from, around the country. The one the librarian was talking about on the air is the local one in Atlanta. I don't know how many films are in it.

Surely, plenty of copies of NORTH BY NORTHWEST are sitting on a long shelf somewhere within the Atlanta facility.

A room in the TCM Time-Warner Atlanta facility with shelves in it, with the shelves filled with movies in some kind of electronic form. There are other "libraries" in other cities that require the films (in electronic form) being mailed to them in Atlanta or sent to them via satellite or some other electric form. A local in-house library, and other libraries around the country. The one the librarian was talking about on the air is the local one in Atlanta.

Yes, I understood what you meant Fred.  That is one context 'library' is used in,  but it is NOT the same context as the one Lzcutter used in his reply to me.

In the context used by Lzcutter,  the TW library is ALL films that TW owns regardless of there physical location. 

I'm talking about the physical TCM film library that is on file in one or more rooms in their facilities in Atlanta. I don't know if it contains hundreds or thousands of films.

And of course we all know they rent films from other companies' film libraries too and probably have electronic copies of them shipped to TCM in Atlanta, from the Los Angeles area and maybe New York and other places too.

Again,  show me an actual statement RO or another representative of TCM made that implied TCM has access to ALL the films in the Warner Film 'library'.    I really don't recall such a statement being made.

The fact Lzcutter has said what he said implies (at least to me),  that TCM is NOT trying to hide anything.  

But clearly you goal here wasn't the same as mine;  My goal was to get a better understanding related to TCM ability to access the films in the TW library.    That goal has been meet.

Your goal is to play a 'got ya' game.   If saying 'I got them,  I win',  makes your day,   go for it.

They didn't say "all the films in the Warner Film Library" they didn't say anything about a Warner Film Library. What they have said and continue to say is that they have access to a "vast TCM Library of films" or "vast Turner Library of films" the implication being that this fabled library contains a vast number of films from the WARNER LIBRARY, THE MGM LIBRARY, THE RKO LIBRARY, THE MONOGRAM LIBRARY, what ever Ted Turner had acquired is still at the disposal of TCM at any time. This is their message, this is what they continually put out to the public on air and in printed interviews.

"The fact Lzcutter has said what he said implies (at least to me),  that TCM is NOT trying to hide anything."

Amazing.

"But clearly you goal here wasn't the same as mine;  My goal was to get a better understanding related to TCM ability to access the films in the TW library.    That goal has been meet.

Your goal is to play a 'got ya' game."  

On the contrary, your goal is to give TCM a free pass, my goal is for TCM to clear up this mystery once and for all, on air. My goal has not been meet. Meet?????? Ohhhh, I think you meant met. GOT YA. 

So, James, TopBilled, and Fred, what do you think of Izcutter's explanation? Sort of kills the idea of a TCM film library doesn't it? James, if what Izcutter is saying is true, then why would this not rise to the level of a lie on the part of TCM to keep maintaining on air that they still have a library? And if it's just a matter of semantics as some suggest, and TCM's definition of a TCM library means something entirely different from what any normal individual, who has no access to message board info, film festivals, or mind reading abilities, would construe from the words "TCM library", then I don't understand the problem with a simple explanation on air from TCM explaining just what the heck they mean by "TCM library". You folks keep telling me they don't have to, it's their channel, and it's their right to keep giving out misleading information on air. I want to know what's the harm in them explaining the truth? Would it be damaging to their brand and their reputation to admit on air that they have to rent films like anyone else. Izcutter doesn't think so.      

I don't believe any of Lynn's replies (lzcutter). And I am going to leave it at that. 

Obviously, people are touchy about the library issue, which I find a bit funny. But I think it's because there is an insecurity that if TCM is doing something one way and it looks bad, then it tarnishes the shrine-like view people have of the channel. It's a channel run by human beings, so there are going to be errors. For people to suggest otherwise, well fill in the blank.

I'm talking about the physical TCM film library that is on file in one or more rooms in their facilities in Atlanta. I don't know if it contains hundreds or thousands of films.

And of course we all know they rent films from other companies' film libraries too and probably have electronic copies of them shipped to TCM in Atlanta, from the Los Angeles area and maybe New York and other places too.

I knew you were going to get into trouble when you started talking about a physical TCM film library. I started to see visions of a pig roasting on a spit. I still keep seeing visions of a pig roasting on a spit.

They're coming up to you, Fred, with carving knives in their hands. You better run.

They're coming up to you, Fred, with carving knives in their hands. You better run.

I'm just talking about what the Atlanta TCM film librarian said to Mr. Osborne on the air when he was introducing a movie several years ago. He said there was an in-house, on-site, real, physical "film" library inside the Atlanta TCM facility, where he worked.

Of course they really aren't in "film" form anymore. They have been dubbed to some kind of video format. But they are video forms of Hollywood films.

And, yes, again, I know TCM rents films (in video format) from OTHER film libraries around the country, in addition to using films (videos) directly from their own in-house library. That was his whole point about how fast they can arrange a "salute" to some recently-dead actor, since some of their salute films (videos) ARE ALREADY ON FILE AT AND IN THE TCM PHYSICAL LIBRARY IN ATLANTA ALL THE TIME.

I'm just talking about what the Atlanta TCM film librarian said to Mr. Osborne on the air when he was introducing a movie several years ago. He said there was an in-house, on-site, real, physical "film" library inside the Atlanta TCM facility, where he worked.

Of course they really aren't in "film" form anymore. They have been dubbed to some kind of video format.

I think I understand what you are saying. Technology and formatting issues aside, there is a 'place' -- either physical or virtual-- where the films are kept. That's what you're saying, right?

But these people who insist that TCM is running their business without a real library are not going to let you get away with what you're saying. I am waiting for the next reposting of a Charlie T quote, aren't you? One is due any minute now.

They didn't say "all the films in the Warner Film Library" they didn't say anything about a Warner Film Library. What they have said and continue to say is that they have access to a "vast TCM Library of films" or "vast Turner Library of films" the implication being that this fabled library contains a vast number of films from the WARNER LIBRARY, THE MGM LIBRARY, THE RKO LIBRARY, THE MONOGRAM LIBRARY, what ever Ted Turner had acquired is still at the disposal of TCM at any time. This is their message, this is what they continually put out to the public on air and in printed interviews.

"The fact Lzcutter has said what he said implies (at least to me),  that TCM is NOT trying to hide anything."

Amazing.

"But clearly you goal here wasn't the same as mine;  My goal was to get a better understanding related to TCM ability to access the films in the TW library.    That goal has been meet.

Your goal is to play a 'got ya' game."  

On the contrary, your goal is to give TCM a free pass, my goal is for TCM to clear up this mystery once and for all, on air. My goal has not been meet. Meet?????? Ohhhh, I think you meant met. GOT YA. 

A free pass on what????     I have said many times that I wish TCM would show LESS repeats and show more 'lesser' films from the TW library of films.    I also wish TCM would work harder to get agreements with Fox, Columbia and Universal so they could show more films from these studios. 

Be honest; your goal isn't to clear up a mystery but instead to ask the TCM go on air and say negative things about their brand.   Yea, as a company TCM doesn't wish to shine a light on negative things.   Just like every other company in the world!    But you want them to go on the air and say something negative about their brand.   That is just an insane idea.   What is next on your agenda; demanding that Starbucks runs commercials that say their coffee is overpriced!

I think I understand what you are saying. Technology and formatting issues aside, there is a 'place' -- either physical or virtual-- where the films are kept. That's what you're saying, right?

Yes, some of the films (in a video format) are on file, in a room or vault, right there in Atlanta all the time. That is what their Atlanta librarian said on the air. Some films, maybe a few hundred or maybe a couple of thousand. I don't know the amount they have in-house. This, of course, does not include all the other films that have to be shipped to them from other libraries, such as the 20th Century Fox Library.

Lynn has more class than me so she is just going to let all this slide, but I'm offended on her behalf by those of you who are calling her a liar.

She knows people at TCM and has been a guest programmer. She knows more about films than most of you have forgotten. She has no reason to lie about the information she's posted here. People can draw their own conclusions, but she is being nice by trying to clear up based on information she knows. It's insulting to say you don't believe her when you know nothing about how the business is run or anything at all except what you've cooked up in your minds.

But I'm willing to risk my posting privilege to call people out when there is no one who posts here who has more integrity than Lynn. So just stop it. She has no reason to LIE, and there's no reason to doubt what she said.

• Like 5

I am sorry I have not been around lately - mostly due to a physical move back to my adoptive, dis functional, and dead as a door nail broke Illinois, I have been reading with interest how this thread has evolved.

Based on what has been written so far there is a clear desire for some people to try and force TCM to explain or at the very least come "on the air" and tell everyone whether or not an actual film library exists at TCM.

There also exists a belief among some that no matter how often anyone here tries to offer any reasonable reasons as to whether TCM does or does not have an actual library from which they pull films from, their response is that of dis-belief or downright contempt for TCM.

Now I am sure there might be a response to this and that the response will be something along the lines of "cheerleading" for TCM, all I can say is that when someone like lzcutter comes on here to offer her "take" on this matter and is met with such negative comments, then all I or anyone else can do is throw our hands up in utter disgust.

For those of you who are relatively new around here, lzcutter, or her real name, Lynn is a very valued member of TCM city. Now that she has been helping out with moderator duties, one should also know that she has been a member here for almost ten years!

She has taken part in many film discussions here and was involved with many of the flame wars of several years ago. Lynn IS very knowlegable about film history and restoration efforts. With close ties to TCM, she has more info to share than some of the message board members taking part in this thread.

So whenever anyone of us "old guard" of the message boards have something to say, the very least some of you can do is show some respect and be a little less critical with your opinions.

As far as Infinite's request to have anyone cite what the status of "any" actual or supposed library of films exist or does not exist, I am quite sure with all of the negativity that exists on the message boards the past few years, it might be a very long time before an "official" answer is offered. Either on the boards or "on the air".

This is sad and I say the following knowing I might be called out, but a good place to go and read about matters such as these are as Lynn offered is Will McKinley's blog or the Silver Screen Oasis, where a forum is dedicated to archived guests who have offered their take on matters of film.

I personally do not think that TCM has an actual library, although they act as though they do. I think that however many films they lease and are available to show, these films then are considered their "library".

• Like 2

I am sorry I have not been around lately - mostly due to a physical move back to my adoptive, dis functional, and dead as a door nail broke Illinois, I have been reading with interest how this thread has evolved.

Based on what has been written so far there is a clear desire for some people to try and force TCM to explain or at the very least come "on the air" and tell everyone whether or not an actual film library exists at TCM.

There also exists a belief among some that no matter how often anyone here tries to offer any reasonable reasons as to whether TCM does or does not have an actual library from which they pull films from, their response is that of dis-belief or downright contempt for TCM.

Now I am sure there might be a response to this and that the response will be something along the lines of "cheerleading" for TCM, all I can say is that when someone like lzcutter comes on here to offer her "take" on this matter and is met with such negative comments, then all I or anyone else can do is throw our hands up in utter disgust.

For those of you who are relatively new around here, lzcutter, or her real name, Lynn is a very valued member of TCM city. Now that she has been helping out with moderator duties, one should also know that she has been a member here for almost ten years!

She has taken part in many film discussions here and was involved with many of the flame wars of several years ago. Lynn IS very knowlegable about film history and restoration efforts. With close ties to TCM, she has more info to share than some of the message board members taking part in this thread.

So whenever anyone of us "old guard" of the message boards have something to say, the very least some of you can do is show some respect and be a little less critical with your opinions.

As far as Infinite's request to have anyone cite what the status of "any" actual or supposed library of films exist or does not exist, I am quite sure with all of the negativity that exists on the message boards the past few years, it might be a very long time before an "official" answer is offered. Either on the boards or "on the air".

This is sad and I say the following knowing I might be called out, but a good place to go and read about matters such as these are as Lynn offered is Will McKinley's blog or the Silver Screen Oasis, where a forum is dedicated to archived guests who have offered their take on matters of film.

I personally do not think that TCM has an actual library, although they act as though they do. I think that however many films they lease and are available to show, these films then are considered their "library".

they can beat Anthony Quinn films like Requiem for a Heavyweight or Zorba the Greek into the ground countless times but nary a sign of Attila from 1954 with Sophia Loren or Hot Spell with Shirley Booth from 1958.

There are scores of films that tcm is ignoring.

They should break out Hot Spell again because they used to show it.

tcm are procurement slackers.

maybe somebody can get Drew Barrymore to watch Hot Spell so she can recommend it to tcm. :lol:

they can beat Anthony Quinn films like Requiem for a Heavyweight or Zorba the Greek into the ground countless times but nary a sign of Attila from 1954 with Sophia Loren or Hot Spell with Shirley Booth from 1958.

There are scores of films that tcm is ignoring.

They should break out Hot Spell again because they used to show it.

tcm are procurement slackers.

maybe somebody can get Drew Barrymore to watch Hot Spell so she can recommend it to tcm. :lol:

just this little observation for whatever it's worth...

for tcm's schedule to be decked out months in advance suggests to me very little consideration for films viewers may wanna see.

A free pass on what????     I have said many times that I wish TCM would show LESS repeats and show more 'lesser' films from the TW library of films.    I also wish TCM would work harder to get agreements with Fox, Columbia and Universal so they could show more films from these studios. 

Be honest; your goal isn't to clear up a mystery but instead to ask the TCM go on air and say negative things about their brand.   Yea, as a company TCM doesn't wish to shine a light on negative things.   Just like every other company in the world!    But you want them to go on the air and say something negative about their brand.   That is just an insane idea.   What is next on your agenda; demanding that Starbucks runs commercials that say their coffee is overpriced!

James, my only intent was to point out, what I observed to be, an ongoing contradiction of information passed to viewers on air and information that is passed to us in these threads regarding this TCM library business. In all probability, the reason for the contradiction  is completely harmless and innocent. Besides, I am not asking TCM to say anything negative about their brand because I don't think the absence of a TCM library, per se, is a negative. Whether it's done via a library or through leasing, we are still getting the same classic films. I don't know why you would consider the absence of a library to be a negative for the brand or for that matter why TCM would. I'm sure they are smart enough and clever enough to explain the rationale behind using the "TCM LIBRARY" comment in conjunction with the revelation that they have to lease their films from third parties.

Now, as to that Starbucks analogy, I didn't know their coffee was overpriced. But, I'd bet you they're not running ads that say theirs is the cheapest coffee around. At the very least I'd demand they stop running those commercials which, according to you, would be a flagrant lie. I never said that what TCM says on air rises to the level of an impeachable offense. Only, that I don't know which story is correct and I will only be convinced one way or another if TCM in the person of Robert O or Ben M clears the mystery up for me.  

James, my only intent was to point out, what I observed to be, an ongoing contradiction of information passed to viewers on air and information that is passed to us in these threads regarding this TCM library business. In all probability, the reason for the contradiction  is completely harmless and innocent. Besides, I am not asking TCM to say anything negative about their brand because I don't think the absence of a TCM library, per se, is a negative. Whether it's done via a library or through leasing, we are still getting the same classic films. I don't know why you would consider the absence of a library to be a negative for the brand or for that matter why TCM would. I'm sure they are smart enough and clever enough to explain the rationale behind using the "TCM LIBRARY" comment in conjunction with the revelation that they have to lease their films from third parties.

Now, as to that Starbucks analogy, I didn't know their coffee was overpriced. But, I'd bet you they're not running ads that say theirs is the cheapest coffee around. At the very least I'd demand they stop running those commercials which, according to you, would be a flagrant lie. I never said that what TCM says on air rises to the level of an impeachable offense. Only, that I don't know which story is correct and I will only be convinced one way or another if TCM in the person of Robert O or Ben M clears the mystery up for me.  

I agree that when someone like RO uses the term 'TCM Library' to mean just the films TCM currently has under lease that this is spin.  Some may wish to say call it a lie but I say it is spin;  i.e.  trying to make something look better than it actually is.   Should TCM or any company spin?   Well, in a perfect world, NO,  but spin is marketing 101.   Therefore I can agree with you that spin (or what I believe you are calling a lie) isn't cool or right and that TCM representatives may have done that.  

As for what is the truth;  I think we know;   TCM has access to the films Time Warner owns the rights too BUT not all of them.   Of course if people believe LzCutter is lying then,  yea,  we don't know what is what.

I think maybe the term “TCM Film Library” actually has two separate meanings, and many TCM people use this term interchangeably for both kinds of libraries.

I think one definition means: 1) their own in-house library in Atlanta, i.e. the films they keep stored (in electronic form) in a storage room in Atlanta. And the other means: 2) ALL the films they have access to, even if many are stored in other libraries belonging to other film companies and distributors which TCM rents from time to time, such as the Fox films, Disney, Kino, British films, and other domestic and foreign film studios and distributors, etc.

I think maybe the term “TCM Film Library” actually has two separate meanings, and many TCM people use this term interchangeably for both kinds of libraries.

I think one definition means: 1) their own in-house library in Atlanta, i.e. the films they keep stored (in electronic form) in a storage room in Atlanta. And the other means: 2) ALL the films they have access to, even if many are stored in other libraries belonging to other film companies and distributors which TCM rents from time to time, such as the Fox films, Disney, Kino, British films, and other domestic and foreign film studios and distributors, etc.

Well I am definitely going to continue using the term 'TCM Library.' I decided that long ago and I have probably included it in at least 20 to 30 different posts since then.