Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why do you think there are so many of the same movies repeated so often recently?

So TB,  when you use the term 'TCM Library' what exactly do you mean?   

Any film that has aired on TCM three or more times in the past year (this is why I keep records of what has aired) and any film that has shown up at least once every year for the past five years. To me, the term 'TCM Library' is equal to on-going access to certain films. I don't care what format they are on, and if they are in a room in Bob Osborne's home or in a bomb shelter down in Atlanta.

I also don't care what studio they were made at, if they're in the public domain or not, and I certainly don't care about the deals that are brokered to acquire new titles. I am only looking at what they show frequently. 

Obviously some of those titles selected for the Jewish series last fall are not in frequent rotation. So there are some special, short-term acquisitions. I don't count those. 

Meanwhile, I am just as interested in what they don't show. Titles that used to be in the old 'AMC Library' but do not get aired on TCM. Half the time what isn't seen is just as important as what is seen.

Any film that has aired on TCM three or more times in the past year (this is why I keep records of what has aired) and any film that has shown up at least once every year for the past five years. To me, the term 'TCM Library' is equal to on-going access to certain films. I don't care what format they are on, and if they are in a room in Bob Osborne's home or in a bomb shelter down in Atlanta.

I also don't care what studio they were made at, if they're in the public domain or not, and I certainly don't care about the deals that are brokered to acquire new titles. I am only looking at what they show frequently. 

Obviously some of those titles selected for the Jewish series last fall are not in frequent rotation. So there are some special, short-term acquisitions. I don't count those. 

Meanwhile, I am just as interested in what they don't show. Titles that used to be in the old 'AMC Library' but do not get aired on TCM. Half the time what isn't seen is just as important as what is seen.

Interesting.   I have to admit I'm more interested in the films TCM could show that they do NOT show then the films TCM has shown.   e.g. Warner Brother 'programmers' that I assume TCM can get access to but they have NOT shown in the last 3 - 5 years.    

Like I said before, I was reviewing my book The Films of Bette Davis and there are a lot of 30s films she made that I don't recall TCM showing in the last 3 - 5 years.     Yea, these films are not 'great' like her Oscar nominated films but since I have seen all of those films many times (because TCM shows them often),   I would like to see some of those 'programmers' instead.  This is true for many of my favorite stars as well.   e.g.  I love Jean Arthur and so one would think I would welcome the tribute TCM just had.  But TCM showed all of her 'hits' except the last movie shown and that was on a 1:00 PST!      Just another example where I wish TCM would have shown other Arthur movies instead of the same standard 'hits'.

Interesting. I have to admit I'm more interested in the films TCM could show that they do NOT show then the films TCM has shown. e.g. Warner Brother 'programmers' that I assume TCM can get access to but they have NOT shown in the last 3 - 5 years.

Like I said before, I was reviewing my book The Films of Bette Davis and there are a lot of 30s films she made that I don't recall TCM showing in the last 3 - 5 years. Yea, these films are not 'great' like her Oscar nominated films but since I have seen all of those films many times (because TCM shows them often), I would like to see some of those 'programmers' instead. This is true for many of my favorite stars as well. e.g. I love Jean Arthur and so one would think I would welcome the tribute TCM just had. But TCM showed all of her 'hits' except the last movie shown and that was on a 1:00 PST! Just another example where I wish TCM would have shown other Arthur movies instead of the same standard 'hits'.

Jamesjazzguitar

Have you ever watched Beyond the Forest? Is it as bad as the reviews I've read? I would like to see it and Satan Met A Lady. Sorry I am new at this..

Funny but I just replied to the thread where you mention Satan Met A Lady, another Bette Davis film,  like Beyond the Forest,  that I have NOT seen.    Bette is my favorite actress and I have seen most of her films with these two at the top of my 'yet to be seen' listing of her films.

BTF has been discussed at this forum with mixed reviews.   As I'm sure you know the movie is known for Bette's over the top performance but I would still like to see it.    Maybe a mix of an overstated Bette and the typically understated Joseph Cotton balances things out! 

Funny but I just replied to the thread where you mention Satan Met A Lady, another Bette Davis film, like Beyond the Forest, that I have NOT seen. Bette is my favorite actress and I have seen most of her films with these two at the top of my 'yet to be seen' listing of her films.

BTF has been discussed at this forum with mixed reviews. As I'm sure you know the movie is known for Bette's over the top performance but I would still like to see it. Maybe a mix of an overstated Bette and the typically understated Joseph Cotton balances things out!

Bette Davis is my favorite actress as well. I enjoy her in everything I have seen. I believe TCM has shown this in the past. I saw the beginning "what a dump" line,although hers in

comparison with E.Taylor's was mild. I don't remember the "big, black fright wig" or the story line but would love to see it too. I was never able to see the ending in The Little Foxes. My disc skips. There are so many movies she was in that I'm not aware of many. I believe there's one coming up Cabin In The Cotton. What, if possible is your favorite?

Bette Davis is my favorite actress as well. I enjoy her in everything I have seen. I believe TCM has shown this in the past. I saw the beginning "what a dump" line,although hers in

comparison with E.Taylor's was mild. I don't remember the "big, black fright wig" or the story line but would love to see it too. I was never able to see the ending in The Little Foxes. My disc skips. There are so many movies she was in that I'm not aware of many. I believe there's one coming up Cabin In The Cotton. What, if possible is your favorite?

Here you be the judge wig or not:

Cabin in The Cotton isn't a great film but it is an early Davis film where one can see that she isn't just another run of the mill actress. 

As for my favor Davis films:  Well I start with the movies she made with Leslie Howard (my favorite actor);  The Petrified Forest, Its Love I'm After and Human Bondage.    Here we have 3 different Davis performances.   

After these it would be the Davis films that are build just for her;   The Letter,   Now Voyager and Dark Victory.   But who can forget All About Eve!