Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wacky Jack McDermott info sought

bhryun

I've been researching an old Hollywood estate and recently discovered it was once in the hands of John W. "Jack" McDermott (1892-1946), silent film writer/director. His brother Edward M. McD (1896-1931?) was a "philm" editor. I am trying to track down bio info beyond IMDB-type lists. The estate may have been the site of Jack's famous "wacky" house, built from movie props, with all its secret tunnels and passages. Legendary comedy star Harold Lloyd conducted some of his photography hobby at the pool.

I think the house is long gone, but I have photos of the pool, which was, if not wacky, very, very kitschily decorated and lasted into the 1950s. (Some of it survives.) The main feature of the pool was a 14' high spider mural overlooking the site. Was it once a movie prop, like much of his house? Did it have some deep meaning?

After Jack's death the property passed (I think) to nephew Edward J. McD (1917?-?), and I have zero info on him.

It's been an interesting detective story so far. Any help or sources?

Rowan