Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I'm watching the "Yule Log" at the moment and just can't believe how many downright CRAPPY Christmas songs are out there, I'm more of a traditionalist I'd rather hear endless variations of traditional carols than the "wanabee's" its as if every pop star has to put out a Christmas tune, and they are rarely any good.

What's the last new Christmas song that was worthy of admission to the Pantheon of Carols, Nat King Cole's Christmas Song? possibly Elvis' Blue Christmas? 

Lets hear your thoughts?

So I'm watching the "Yule Log" at the moment and just can't believe how many downright CRAPPY Christmas songs are out there, I'm more of a traditionalist I'd rather hear endless variations of traditional carols than the "wanabee's" its as if every pop star has to put out a Christmas tune, and they are rarely any good.

What's the last new Christmas song that was worthy of admission to the Pantheon of Carols, Nat King Cole's Christmas Song? possibly Elvis' Blue Christmas? 

Lets hear your thoughts?

I'll be home for Christmas.............kidding. Just.

Feliz Navidad, I think.

Is it back on WPIX? They ran the Yule Log for ever, and one year decided to move it to online only. Quite a few people were upset, iirc, and it's back on tv, where all fake fireplaces belong. :)

• Like 1

Feliz Navidad, I think.

Is it back on WPIX? They ran the Yule Log for ever, and one year decided to move it to online only. Quite a few people were upset, iirc, and it's back on tv, where all fake fireplaces belong. :)

It's on cable WLNY, lol, yes Feliz Navidad is a good candidate.

"Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney. His genius was in coming up with songs that are just fun to sing along with, as opposed to John Lennon's dirges.

Perhaps "Christmas Wrapping" by the Waitresses.

• Like 4

Feliz Navidad, I think.

I miss WPIX.  We got that station back in the 1980's.  In between the crappy NL scores we got to hear about John Gotti.  And oh, the stupid Yule Log!  Here in Nebraska we couldn't imagine such idiotic indulgence.  

It used to be Feliz Navidad.  Nowadays it's a bunch of Muslim garbage.  

Feliz Navidad, I think.

I miss WPIX.  We got that station back in the 1980's.  In between the crappy NL scores we got to hear about John Gotti.  And oh, the stupid Yule Log!  Here in Nebraska we couldn't imagine such idiotic indulgence.  

It used to be Feliz Navidad.  Nowadays it's a bunch of Muslim garbage.  

Hah, Teflon John - the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Gladys, I grew up on WPIX .... and WOR and WNEW. Grand stations, with Officer Joe Bolton and the Three Stooges, Captain Jack McCarthy with Popeye, and Sandy Becker, Soupy Sales and Sonny Fox with Wonderama. Of all of them, I think Jack McCarthy was the most sincere.

Now, they've morphed into the CW, whatever in the holy heck that is, and other abominations that try to outdo each other with skirting near the edge 'R' television. Family Guy and American Dad get away with near 'X' rated stuff, since they're only cartoons.

Oh, well, fa ra ra ra ra and all that humbug stuff.

"Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney. His genius was in coming up with songs that are just fun to sing along with, as opposed to John Lennon's dirges.

Perhaps "Christmas Wrapping" by the Waitresses.

Hmmmm, forgot about So this is Christmas by Lennon. Was that a dirge? I liked it.

So Joe! Basically what you're askin' here is when you think this whole Christmas song thing kind'a "jumped the shark", RIGHT?!

Well, okay then. I think I'll let Mr. Shaffer here tell you when I think this might have happened...

;)

Well, okay then. I think I'll let Mr. Shaffer here tell you when I think this might have happened...

Dargo, thank you for sharing this. 

I never realized that Cher ever actually sang "O Holy Night"  . . . but it's a song that I've sang a al Cher from time to time when I've been moved to spontaneously break into a Cher impersonation because it has an assortment of vowel sounds so suited to Cher stylings . . .perhaps even more so than the actual song written for her "If I could turn baaaack taaaaaiiime . . . ."

• Like 1

I never realized that Cher ever actually sang "O Holy Night"  . . . but it's a song that I've sang a al Cher from time to time when I've been moved to spontaneously break into a Cher impersonation because it has an assortment of vowel sounds so suited to Cher stylings . . .perhaps even more so than the actual song written for her "If I could turn baaaack taaaaaiiime . . . ."

You're welcome, Holden. Glad you liked it!

And, here's to the hope you continue to do your Cher impression in the excellent manner in which you say you do it...and never "m-u-f-f" it!  ;)

(...btw, ironically the word "m-u-f-f" WAS auto-censored out...hence my now having to edit it and re-spell it with those dashes in it!) LOL

Edited by Dargo

Lets hear your thoughts?

"Christmas Time Is Here" by the Vince Guaraldi Trio from "A Charlie Brown Christmas".

• Like 1

It's on cable WLNY, lol, yes Feliz Navidad is a good candidate.

I saw some of these lame yule log knock-offs last nite and this morning and they stink but I found the real yule log just as I always do on WPIX.

this is the same yule log WPIX has been runnin' since I be a kid. :D

20gkuw3.jpg

I never got the appeal of the yule log, at least when sober. I could watch it

for a few minutes, but hour after hour of it. Whatever. I know there are

some folks who are fanatical in their devotion.

Just for the record, the title of Johnny's song is Happy Xmas (War is Over).

Its more for just background music while you open presents.

We watched the Yule Log this morning while opening presents... although the music the station was playing to accompany it was terrible.  We muted the TV and played "The Rat Pack Christmas" and Vince Gualardi's "A Charlie Brown Christmas" albums instead--much better options.

As for "newer" Christmas songs that could join the pantheon of Christmas classics:

"Merry Christmas Darling" -The Carpenters

"All I Want for Christmas is You" -Mariah Carey (I know, I know, but I really like this song)

"Christmas Wrapping" -The Waitresses (good choice Fedya!)

"Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" - Darlene Love

"Marshmallow World" -Dean Martin (Ridiculous song, but I love it)

"Santa Claus is Coming to Town" -Frank Sinatra & Cyndi Lauper

"You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch" - Love this song!

You're welcome, Holden. Glad you liked it!

And, here's to the hope you continue to do your Cher impression in the excellent manner in which you say you do it...and never "m-u-f-f" it!  ;)

(...btw, ironically the word "m-u-f-f" WAS auto-censored out...hence my now having to edit it and re-spell it with those dashes in it!) LOL

I was intrigued to find out why "m-u-f-f " was bleeped on these mesaage boards. 

Apparently it's a slang term for "vajayjay" that I was not familar with and from online research it seems to have been popularized from its use on THAT 70S SHOW----which used to be one of my favorite TV shows but I don't remember hearing m-u-f-f used in that context on the show. 

Apparently it's a slang term for "vajayjay" that I was not familar with and from online research it seems to have been popularized from its use on THAT 70S SHOW----which used to be one of my favorite TV shows but I don't remember hearing m-u-f-f used in that context on the show. 

For MY money they SHOULD auto censor "vajayjay"---NOT because it's obscene, but just because it's DUMB!

They could also lose "Cray-Cray"----just as DUMB!

CRIPES!   "Vajayjay"---"cray-cray"---Lady GA-GA!

America isn't dumbing down, it's full blast REGRESSING!

Incidentally----we'd used the word "m u f f" as slang for that back in the '60's.....and I think it even goes back further.  I was surprised to hear it in the movie "Revenge of The Nerds".

Sepiatone

Saaaay, SPEAKIN' of which....wasn't there a MTV "VEE-JayJay" by the name of "VaJayJay Jackson" back when that cable network first started up???

(...or has my old problem with stuttering resurfaced here???) ;)

What if we were trying to discuss a m-u-f-f in regard to an accessory typically made of fur which women used to keep their hands warm? 

While I'm familiar with its slang usage, I would agree that vajajay is far worse.  Most of the slang words used to describe that part of the female anatomy are unnecessarily crude or stupid. 

• Like 1

I'm not normally a big Mariah Carey listener/fan, but I heard "O Holy Night" playing at the Post Office the other day, and I was impressed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMkRMiO8FIU

What if we were trying to discuss a m-u-f-f in regard to an accessory typically made of fur which women used to keep their hands warm? 

While I'm familiar with its slang usage, I would agree that vajajay is far worse.  Most of the slang words used to describe that part of the female anatomy are unnecessarily crude or stupid. 

Hey, we men didn't fare much better.  Lord HELP you if your name was RICHARD ;)

Sepiatone