Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Carry On Film Series.

John Johnson

Thanks to TCM showing the early Carry On films from the UK, Carry On Sergeant and Carry On Nurse. I was wondering, does TCM have the right to show the rest of the films in the series?

TCM showed four of them last year (Sergeant, Nurse, Teacher, Constable) and will be showing four more premieres (Cowboy, Cleo, Spying, Screaming) in March, including (very appropriately) Carry On Cleo on the eve of the Ides of March!

Jim Dale, who was in several Carry On films, lives here in New York, a few blocks from where RO lives. It would be nice if TCM got Jim Dale to introduce the films. (Jim was in the four Carry On films that TCM will be showing in March, 2015).

• 1 month later...

Anybody who knows me knows I love the Carry On series.  I grew up with them in Canada, being as we regularly got lots of UK films (and America movies).  Silly, sexist, but with talented British actors.  Sidney James was one of my favorites, and I especially enjoy seeing his films prior to C.O. when he would be in a more serious role, showing his acting shops.

Anybody who knows me knows I love the Carry On series.  I grew up with them in Canada, being as we regularly got lots of UK films (and America movies).  Silly, sexist, but with talented British actors.  Sidney James was one of my favorites, and I especially enjoy seeing his films prior to C.O. when he would be in a more serious role, showing his acting shops.

On one of my early trips to London (around 1974) I went to a stage show called Carry On London, which featured a few of the Carry On gang, including the great Sid James. The first time I saw the films was as a kid, when a local NYC movie theater showed a double bill of Carry On Nurse and Make Mine Mink. I was hooked. Carry On... Up Khyber will be on TCM in April.

I spent many summers in a part of London near a street called Eardley Crescent. There's a commemorative plaque on one of the houses. It says, "Hattie Jacques lived here from 1945-1980."  That impressed me more than some of the more august plaques around town!

I have been watching the "Carry On" series as well...regular Saturday morning fare. My parents introduced me to the first one, I believe it was at the "foreign film" theatre in Dallas. Where I saw the other ones, I cannot remember, but my parents being from the England and Scotland, dragged us to more English films than any other children in our neighborhood.

I am forever grateful as it introduced me to the likes of Peter Sellers (I'm All Right Jack) and Terry Thomas among others. Additionally I am able to follow all the dialogue and understand all the slang.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings