Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Documentary about Ebert to air on CNN Jan. 4, 2015

jakeem

"Life Itself," a much-praised 2014 documentary about the life, career and final days of the late film critic Roger Ebert, will be aired by CNN. It will be shown on Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 9 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

Ebert, who in 1975 became the first person to win a Pulitzer Prize for film criticism, reviewed movies for the Chicago Sun-Times from 1967 until a couple of days before his death from cancer on April 4, 2013. He and veteran Chicago Tribune film critic Gene Siskel brought movie reviews to national television with "Sneak Previews," which began airing on PBS stations in 1979. They eventually did syndicated movie review shows until Siskel's death in 1999. Ebert continued the "At the Movies" concept with guest reviewers and then co-hosted the show with Sun-Times colleague Richard Roeper from 2000 to 2006.

The director of "Life Itself," Steve James, filmed the documentary after the publication of Ebert's 2011 memoir of the same title. James was responsible for the 1994 documentary "Hoop Dreams," which was championed by Ebert and Siskel.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/showbiz/cnn-films-roger-ebert-life-itself

• Like 2

maybe it's silly me, but I fail to understand how critiquing movies for a living raises roger ebert to the status of some great contributor to the human condition.

just whom can we expect cnn to glorify next?

timothy leary and his efforts to expand human conciousness? :)

seriously for a moment...

I'm still trying to figure out cnn's rationale behind ChicagoLand. :)

maybe it's silly me, but I fail to understand how critiquing movies for a living raises roger ebert to the status of some great contributor to the human condition.

This is why he mattered:

"I hated this movie. Hated, hated, hated, hated, hated this movie. Hated it. Hated every simpering stupid vacant audience-insulting moment of it. Hated the sensibility that thought anyone would like it. Hated the implied insult to the audience by its belief that anyone would be entertained by it."

-- From Roger Ebert's review of Rob Reiner's 1994 film "North."

He told the truth. Even when you didn't agree with him, you had to respect his opinions based on his years of expertise in film criticism.

Although he couldn't stop people from going to see a movie they wanted to see, he could call attention to a gem that moviegoers wouldn't know about otherwise.

Plus, he wrote beautifully and passionately about the movies. And "Ebert & Siskel" was must-see television for cinéastes.

• Like 4

"Life Itself," a much-praised 2014 documentary about the life, career and final days of the late film critic Roger Ebert, will be aired by CNN. It will be shown on Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 9 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

Ebert, who in 1975 became the first person to win a Pulitzer Prize for film criticism, reviewed movies for the Chicago Sun-Times from 1967 until a couple of days before his death from cancer on April 4, 2013. He and veteran Chicago Tribune film critic Gene Siskel brought movie reviews to national television with "Sneak Previews," which began airing on PBS stations in 1979. They eventually did syndicated movie review shows until Siskel's death in 1999. Ebert continued the "At the Movies" concept with guest reviewers and then co-hosted the show with Sun-Times colleague Richard Roeper from 2000 to 2006.

The director of "Life Itself," Steve James, filmed the documentary after the publication of Ebert's 2011 memoir of the same title. James was responsible for the 1994 documentary "Hoop Dreams," which was championed by Ebert and Siskel.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/showbiz/cnn-films-roger-ebert-life-itself

just a reminder for Sun., 1-4

(thanks, jakeem) :)

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that trailer, mr6666!

I love Ebert's thoughts about the importance of cinema:

"For me, the movies are like a machine that generates empathy. It lets you understand hopes, aspirations, dreams and fears. It helps us to identify with the people who are sharing this journey with us."

• Like 1

"Life Itself" received a nomination Monday from the Producers Guild of America for Outstanding Producer of Documentary Theatrical Motion Pictures. In addition to director-producer Steve James, the award would go to producers Garrett Basch and Zak Piper.

The Producers Guild also revealed its 10 nominees for Best Picture of 2014: "American Sniper,"  "Boyhood," "Birdman," "Foxcatcher," "Gone Girl," "The Grand Budapest Hotel," "The Imitation Game,"  "Nightcrawler," "The Theory of Everything" and "Whiplash." For the past seven years, winners of the Producers Guild Best Picture award have gone on to win Academy Awards.

I watched the first hour and (about) fifteen minutes before I had to leave.

I liked the presentation and found myself glued to the screen because I was learning something about Roger with each passing minute. I was reminded of John Belushi's character in Continental Divide (1981). I expect CNN will re-broadcast this in the near future and I'll be able to catch the last half.
16lbd5v.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings