Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1928's "Lights of New York airs 6AM January 7

LsDoorMat

I almost put this under the "so bad it's funny" thread, but I decided against it. You folks are all knowledgeable enough to know that the "Jazz Singer" was not the first talking feature length film - it was mainly silent .  However LONY  was the first all talking feature film ever made. I will let you know it is dismal as far as film art goes, but if you are into film history you simply must see it. My records go back to 2007, and I show it has not been shown on TCM  in at least eight years.

Thanks for the heads up on this one.

Here are some more details:

LIGHTS OF NEW YORK (1928)

D: Bryan Foy. Helene Costello, Cullen Landis, Gladys Brockwell, Mary Carr, Wheeler Oakman, Eugene Pallette, Robert Elliott, Tom Dugan. Country boy opens a barber shop in the big city and gets mixed up with crooks. Story may be routine, production crude, and acting laughable, but all that is overshadowed by the fact that this fascinating artifact was the first "100% All-Talking Picture'' and created the template for future Warner Bros. crime movies.

• 2 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings