Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What movie? Voices heard across canyon

Cjh

I can't remember the name of a movie that I saw about 20 years ago. Two lonely teenagers have conversations across the canyon. Due to some quirk of the geography they can hear each other's voices over a great distance.

I don't know the movie but I'm familiar with long distance talking.

Seems that certain natural rock formations form a parabola, and that focuses sound some distance away from the focal point of the parabola.

Also, the ancient Anasasi Indians "invented" a parabola design for some of their villages, and this works for projecting voices long distances.

ichacocanyon.gif

https://gamblershouse.wordpress.com/2010/02/25/echoes-of-the-past/

There are several places in and around Pueblo Bonito where you can hear with crystal-clear precision everything people say up on the Threatening Rock overlook, and there are some spots where you can even hear things clear across the canyon.

I don't know about lonely teenagers, but I believe that "Indian Love Call: was introduced that way in the movie "Rose Marie" as two Indian lovers calling each other across a canyon.

Here is a clip of the 1954 version:

And here is a video tribute with stills from the 1936 original movie that would even make Mongo of the CANDIDS thread jealous:

Audience back then really loved this.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings