Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

science fiction for the masses

NipkowDisc

how come every science fiction film made today seems to have only the latest graduating class of Kodos U ( named in honor of kodos the executioner the former governor of tarsus IV ) in mind?

if it's not molecular acid-blooded aliens it's some weird obscure premise of eugenics. stop it already!...our heads hurt.  :) keep it simple. keep it believable but most of all, keep it comprehensible. forget the hyper-scientific jabberwocky...our heads hurt. :)

I was watching ridley scott's prometheus the other nite on FX. I wasn't really in to it, just using it to calibrate my picture settings. the crew were people that only a blanked-up millennial could identify with. some guy hangin' around a billiard table with metallic balls and charlize theron as the resident teutonic amazon type and noomi rapace as a concerned doctor, the only likable character.

something to do with an alien planet, an animated grey dead head and alien cylinders subbing for those alien eggplants from the 1979 film.

maybe scott will have better luck with his planned blade runner sequel.

Yup. They really screwed the pooch with that one. I believe this version was a blend of two or more prequels Scott was working on previously - not the really good "single malt" it was supposed to be.

Personally, I'd like to see Sphere (1998) but someone seems to have buried it in a desert somewhere - never to be seen on tv or cable.

I do hope that you were able to take advantage of BBCAmerica's five-day marathon of: Doctor Who. They did many repeats of Series Eight which I feel is very weak but they did have a wealth of stunning episodes from earlier series.

There is an abundance of usual bloody-minded alien monsters such as Daleks, Sontarans and Cybermen which might be classed as eugenics-based.

There is also several brilliant monsters:

Vashta Nerada: "Almost every species in the universe has an irrational fear of the dark. But they're wrong, 'cause it's not irrational, it's vashta nerada." They are so very tiny that you might see one only as a mote of dust in a ray of sunshine. They live in shadows. They become shadows when they swarm. You know that you will die when you see that you have two shadows because one shadow is caused by light and the other shadow is them swarming and attaching to your feet. Their name means: melter of flesh. Death must be painless as it is nearly instantaneous. A chicken leg tossed into a small swarm is bone only when it hits the floor.

Weeping Angels: Have you ever seen a statue of an angel which has its hands over its face as if it is weeping? You may consider yourself lucky that you escaped. These beings have the best possible defense mechanism: they become stone when you look upon them. It is when you look away that they stalk you. A blink of your eye is sufficient time for them to leap. You can not battle them because it is not possible to kill stone. To smash one to bits is turning one large one into many tiny ones. Even an image of a Weeping Angel becomes itself an Angel.

The Silence. They are portrayed as tall and ugly and in perfectly tailored suits. Their great power is that it is not possible to remember seeing them. They disappear from your memory as soon as you look away from them. All things which they said to you bury into your mind as hypnotic suggestion. It is by this that they guide people and make societies develop in manner which suits them. 

How do you fight an enemy which no person can remember seeing? How do you mount a defense when it is not an invasion because they having been living among you since the dawn of man?

There is one scene which I believe will live in my mind for all time as complete and utter terror. The Doctor has implanted a hypnotic-like order that a person carry a marker at all times and make a mark on their arm each time they see one of The Silence. It is by this that they will later know that they had an encounter even although they would not remember it. It is in this scene that one character is looking for The Silence. She has no marks at all and then she has a few marks and then she is of a sudden covered with marks and we do not know what happened as it was erased from her mind the moment they were out of her sight.
  • Like 1

"The Silence. They are portrayed as tall and ugly and in perfectly tailored suits. Their great power is that it is not possible to remember seeing them. They disappear from your memory as soon as you look away from them. All things which they said to you bury into your mind as hypnotic suggestion. It is by this that they guide people and make societies develop in manner which suits them. "

poltergeist.jpg

they're heeeere...... :ph34r: !!

I do hope that you were able to take advantage of BBCAmerica's five-day marathon of: Doctor Who. They did many repeats of Series Eight which I feel is very weak but they did have a wealth of stunning episodes from earlier series.

There is an abundance of usual bloody-minded alien monsters such as Daleks, Sontarans and Cybermen which might be classed as eugenics-based.

There is also several brilliant monsters:

Vashta Nerada: "Almost every species in the universe has an irrational fear of the dark. But they're wrong, 'cause it's not irrational, it's vashta nerada." They are so very tiny that you might see one only as a mote of dust in a ray of sunshine. They live in shadows. They become shadows when they swarm. You know that you will die when you see that you have two shadows because one shadow is caused by light and the other shadow is them swarming and attaching to your feet. Their name means: melter of flesh. Death must be painless as it is nearly instantaneous. A chicken leg tossed into a small swarm is bone only when it hits the floor.

Weeping Angels: Have you ever seen a statue of an angel which has its hands over its face as if it is weeping? You may consider yourself lucky that you escaped. These beings have the best possible defense mechanism: they become stone when you look upon them. It is when you look away that they stalk you. A blink of your eye is sufficient time for them to leap. You can not battle them because it is not possible to kill stone. To smash one to bits is turning one large one into many tiny ones. Even an image of a Weeping Angel becomes itself an Angel.

The Silence. They are portrayed as tall and ugly and in perfectly tailored suits. Their great power is that it is not possible to remember seeing them. They disappear from your memory as soon as you look away from them. All things which they said to you bury into your mind as hypnotic suggestion. It is by this that they guide people and make societies develop in manner which suits them. 

How do you fight an enemy which no person can remember seeing? How do you mount a defense when it is not an invasion because they having been living among you since the dawn of man?

There is one scene which I believe will live in my mind for all time as complete and utter terror. The Doctor has implanted a hypnotic-like order that a person carry a marker at all times and make a mark on their arm each time they see one of The Silence. It is by this that they will later know that they had an encounter even although they would not remember it. It is in this scene that one character is looking for The Silence. She has no marks at all and then she has a few marks and then she is of a sudden covered with marks and we do not know what happened as it was erased from her mind the moment they were out of her sight.

know absolutely nothing of Doctor Who other that he is a time lord whatever that be. :) the Daleks are cybernetic aliens with chronic vocal raspiness. :lol:

electronic sucrets and we will like you, earthmen.

2hnup9t.jpg

know absolutely nothing of Doctor Who other that he is a time lord whatever that be.

Fast and dirty explanation:

Time Lords were a race who knew how to travel in time. What began as efforts to prevent abuse of time travel became a corrupt oligarchy which practiced genocide. 

The Doctor was something of an errant child who stole a time machine so that he could go adventuring.

Time Lords had great lifespan and could regenerate. This is why a series of actors could portray The Doctor: each one is him in a new body.

His time machine travels in space also. It looks like a 1950s Police Call Box because it has circuit to disguise it in any environment but circuit burned out when it was in that guise.

The Doctor is likely the only Time Lord now in this universe. The explanation for that is neither quick nor easy. It was that there was great war between Time Lords and Daleks and the only way for The Doctor to end the war was to destroy both races. That explanation changed recently.

I feel that best introduction to Doctor Who is by watching either: Rose or: The Eleventh Hour episodes. Rose is first episode of 'reboot' of series after long hiatus and so is very good start. I feel The Eleventh Hour may be better introduction because it is much more fun episode. It is a new The Doctor meeting young girl and so all relevant information is revealed incrementally because it is introducing him and his ways to the girl. The episode is zany and yet has many touching moments.

I would strongly advise against watching any episode at random because it would be very easy to become lost and confused if there is no grounding in basics. I feel it would be easy also to dismiss series as shallow or inane if one does not understand undercurrents and motivations.

It has long been BBCAmerica's scheduling policy to air two episodes of Doctor Who each weekday morning. Their schedule is currently disrupted because of holidays.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings