Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Last Chance Saloon

Kid Dabb

I'll say "The Misfits".  It was the last film made by Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe before they died.  It's an interesting movie dealing with some subjects not too many people are familiar with.  I thought all the performances in it were great.  Unless you're thinking about any movie in general lately.  I tend not to watch recent releases.  The subject matter either does not interest me, or I've got to drive a goodly distance to see them, since my local theater only shows 'family-friendly' fare.   :angry:

Good choice, midwestan.

Since I am watching Father Goose (1964), I'll begin here.

Though it's his next to last film, Cary Grant is still in good form here. He's a little out-of-the-box - not perfect - but still displays all the drama and comedy chops that served him so well throughout his career. He is much more involved in this story than is the case of his last film  -  Walk, Don't Run (1966)  -  where he just seems to be handing over the baton to the next generation.

IMO, he's had an incredible run of good films to his name with The Howards of Virginia (1940) being the only one I never really cared for. 

Two of the biggest actors of the studio era,  Wayne and Bogart both had very good last pictures.

Wayne and Bacall have good chemistry in The Shootist and Wayne shows a venerable side as a dying man.

Bogie is in fine form in The Harder They Fall;  a noir \ boxing film.   Comparing the performances of Rod Steiger and Bogie is interesting;  Bogie conveying so much more with so mush less.   

One of the best and unusual ending to a career was Jean Arthur's performance in Shane.   Jean plays it straight and does a fine job even with being miscast (being over 50 but cast as a mother of a pre-teen).   For someone not known for westerns,   her last film is one of the most loved westerns of all time.

The recently departed Luise Rainer in 1997's "The Gambler", which was a remake of sorts of the 1949 movie "The Great Sinner" starring Gregory Peck and the luscious Ava.

(...Rainer reprising the role Ethel Barrymore played in the '49 version)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings