Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Age of Innocence (1993): A holiday gift from TCM

Swithin

I've just watched -- and been blown away by -- The Age of Innocence (1993), which was on TCM/HD yesterday. I'd seen the 1934 version, but this film by Scorsese is brilliant. I'm a sucker for old New York, and the detail in the film is spot on. The story is beautifully told, and the acting is perfect. A friend of mine is in it -- she has a fairly important role -- I can't wait to email her to tell her (2 decades late) that she and the movie are wonderful! I haven't been so moved by a film for a long time.

Thank you TCM for a glorious movie from the 1990s!

• Like 2

yes, quite a beautiful (and unusual for Scorsese) period piece with excellent performances by entire cast.

can we ask what role your friend played?

I found this review which I agree with:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2011/dec/23/favourite-film-age-of-innocence

My friend plays "Granny" (Mrs. Mingott). 

• Like 1

Age of Innocence is one of my favorite films. Everything about this film is beautiful. Beautiful to look at, beautifully acted. Magnificent cast. Daniel Day Lewis has to be one of the best contemporary actors around. Michelle and Wyonna were great. I remember seeing the film when it first was shown in theaters. Left me breathless, especially when I saw my Wedgewood china on the dining room table. The film is a masterpiece and Scorcese is one of the most brilliant directors of any decade.

• Like 1

I found this review which I agree with:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2011/dec/23/favourite-film-age-of-innocence

My friend plays "Granny" (Mrs. Mingott).

You know Miriam Margolyes? She pops up on Graham Norton's show on BBC America occasionally and is uninhibited and hilarious.

Speaking of The Age of Innocence, it is a great film and the acting is indeed wonderful. It was the first time I saw Daniel Day-Lewis and became a fan. Michelle Pfeiffer and Winona Ryder have never been better. Just great all around.

You know Miriam Margolyes? She pops up on Graham Norton's show on BBC America occasionally and is uninhibited and hilarious.

Speaking of The Age of Innocence, it is a great film and the acting is indeed wonderful. It was the first time I saw Daniel Day-Lewis and became a fan. Michelle Pfeiffer and Winona Ryder have never been better. Just great all around.

Yes, I worked with Miriam many years ago, and we became friends. Last time I saw her was in London in March 2014, but we email from time to time. She travels a lot, spends a lot of time in Australia as well. I've also met two other actors in The Age of Innocence: Sian Phillips, who played Daniel Day-Lewis' mother; and Robert Sean Leonard, with whom I've worked.  I met Sian twice, once at Miriam's birthday party.  Can't believe it took me 20 years to see the film!

I've kept the movie on my cable box and have been looking at it again. It's perfect. Not just because it looks so good -- it's brilliant in every way, Scorsese's best film, I think.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings