Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Year's movies

jakeem

Turner Classic Movies traditionally schedules theme movies for New Year's Eve. I believe there was a Marx Brothers marathon a couple of years ago. The past two years, the spotlight has been on rock 'n' roll stars and concert performances.

If you could program a day full of movies that take place on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, what would be on your schedule?

One of my favorites is "The Time Machine," George Pal's 1960 screen version of the H.G. Wells story. The film, starring Rod Taylor, Yvette Mimieux and Alan Young, begins on December 31, 1899. Time travel tales are always a perfect way to start a new year!

If you could program a day full of movies that take place on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, what would be on your schedule?

Well, with modern CGI, TCM could add "HAPPY NEW YEAR" signs and banners in the backgrounds of any movie. They could add some signs and decorations to THE CLOCK, such as "Happy New Year 1945".

:)

• Like 1

Turner Classic Movies traditionally schedules theme movies for New Year's Eve. I believe there was a Marx Brothers marathon a couple of years ago. The past two years, the spotlight has been on rock 'n' roll stars and concert performances.

One of my favorites is "The Time Machine," George Pal's 1960 screen version of the H.G. Wells story. The film, starring Rod Taylor, Yvette Mimieux and Alan Young, begins on December 31, 1899. Time travel tales are always a perfect way to start a new year!

I would show Its Love I'm After with Leslie Howard, Bette Davis and Olivia DeHavilland.   This is a great comedy and set on new years eve and day.

Well, with modern CGI, TCM could add "HAPPY NEW YEAR" signs and banners in the backgrounds of any movie. They could add some signs and decorations to THE CLOCK, such as "Happy New Year 1945".

:)

I thought TCM's motto was "uncut and unedited."

The Mae West movie Every Day's a Holiday (1937) begins on New Year's Eve of 1899/1900 and features Charles Winninger saying "Happy New Year" in a very distinctive way.  Show Boat (1936) has a New Year's Eve scene, featuring Irene Dunne (singing "After the Ball") and Charles Winninger  and his "Happy New Year" line.  And then of course there is Woody Allen's Radio Days, which ends on New Year's Eve, 1943.

doing a Marx Bros 'marathon' without Duck Soup!!

Isn't that against THE LAW!!??

"Yes it IS! And so BRING us the programmer RESPONSIBLE for this atrocity!"

tumblr_makstsokZA1rrbuhco1_1280.jpg

(...and as always: "HAIL, HAIL FREEDONIA!")

• Like 1

One year I'd like to see:

After the Thin Man 

Holiday

Repeat Performance (1947)

Sunset Boulevard (1950)

The Apartment (1960)

Ocean's 11 (1960)

The Poseidon Adventure (1972)

New Year's Day (1989)

Peter's Friends (1992)

End of Days (1999)

What a great list! I had forgotten about some of those. I seem to remember that "More American Graffiti" (1979), which wasn't directed by George Lucas, ends on New Year's and ties up plot points from the first movie. The nice thing about "Holiday Inn" (1942) is that you could just about show it throughout the year.

But let's not forget about this 1974 saga, which has some key scenes right after midnight on New Year's Day in 1959:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBalU46KqKI

When your New Years starts off with Joan, or that is someone

pretending to be Joan, coming at you with an ax, the odds

are good that it will be all uphill for the rest of the year.

I dunno, starting from Where Love Has Gone to Berserk, that was as good a mini-run of The Dark Side of Bette and Joan as I've seen in quite a while.  It sure beat showing Davis's costume dramas and a Crawford clinker like Humoresque.

I'm surprised that nobody threw in WHEN HARRY MET SALLY, but then, many wouldn't consider it a "classic".

There are a lot more movies that feature scenes that take place on New Year's Eve, but not many( if any) that are specifically BASED on the day, as there are Christmas movies or such.

But, interesting stuff.

Now, (and a bit "off track") some would argue that because( in the case of Christmas, for argument's sake) the movie story TAKES PLACE around or during that specific holiday, that doesn't neccesarily make it a "Christmas" movie.

For instance, would anyone here consider the Franciosa/Hutton/Fonda movie "Period Of Adjustment" to actually be a CHRISTMAS movie?

Using that criteria, could any movie that has New Year's festivities as a PART of the movie actually be considered a "NEW YEAR'S" movie?  (How about THE APARTMENT, which features BOTH Christmas AND New Year's?   Where would you place IT?)

But still, showing either around those specific holidays wouldn't really be out of line., don'tcha think?  Plus, you could actually show them ANYtime, since the stories aren't really ABOUT the holiday's mentioned

Sepiatone

I'm surprised that nobody threw in WHEN HARRY MET SALLY, but then, many wouldn't consider it a "classic".

There are a lot more movies that feature scenes that take place on New Year's Eve, but not many( if any) that are specifically BASED on the day, as there are Christmas movies or such.

But, interesting stuff.

Now, (and a bit "off track") some would argue that because( in the case of Christmas, for argument's sake) the movie story TAKES PLACE around or during that specific holiday, that doesn't neccesarily make it a "Christmas" movie.

For instance, would anyone here consider the Franciosa/Hutton/Fonda movie "Period Of Adjustment" to actually be a CHRISTMAS movie?

Using that criteria, could any movie that has New Year's festivities as a PART of the movie actually be considered a "NEW YEAR'S" movie?  (How about THE APARTMENT, which features BOTH Christmas AND New Year's?   Where would you place IT?)

But still, showing either around those specific holidays wouldn't really be out of line., don'tcha think?  Plus, you could actually show them ANYtime, since the stories aren't really ABOUT the holiday's mentioned

Sepiatone

And then there's Barry Levinson's 1982 gem "Diner," which takes place in Baltimore during the last week of 1959. It stops short, however, of making it to New Year's Eve. And it never shows the band of friends attending the New York Giants-Baltimore Colts NFL Championship Game at Memorial Stadium on December 27th.

And then there's Barry Levinson's 1982 gem "Diner," which takes place in Baltimore during the last week of 1959. It stops short, however, of making it to New Year's Eve. And it never shows the band of friends attending the New York Giants-Baltimore Colts NFL Championship Game at Memorial Stadium on December 27th.

It's been a couple of years since I last saw the movie, but I think it does go up to New Year's Eve. Eddie and Elyse are supposed to get married on that day, and the last scenes of the movie are their wedding and reception. In any event, I count it as both a Christmas and a New Year's movie, and often watch it around this time of year. (This year, I'm waiting for the blu ray release next month, probably as part of promoting the new stage musical based on the movie.) The film is one of my very favorites -- saw it in the theater during the original release, and I'd guess that I've seen it maybe 10 or 15 times since then. I never tire of it -- it's one of those movies that, when I watch it, I'm sorry when it ends.

You're right that the movie never shows the friends at the big game, but I seem to remember reading that Barry Levinson either did film a scene there or wanted to.

Great, great movie.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings