Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Edward Herrmann (1943-2014)

jakeem

Emmy and Tony Award-winning actor Edward Herrmann has died at the age of 71. He probably was best known for his role as patriarch Richard Gilmore on the TV series "Gilmore Girls" (2000-2007) and for his portrayals of Franklin Delano Roosevelt in the TV movies "Eleanor and Franklin" (1976) and "Eleanor and Franklin: The White House Years" (1977). 

Herrmann reprised the role of FDR in John Huston's 1982 screen version of the Broadway musical "Annie." And he was the voice of the 32nd president for Ken Burns' acclaimed 2014 documentary "The Roosevelts: An Intimate History." Meryl Streep provided the voice of Eleanor Roosevelt. The narrator was Peter Coyote.

Herrmann won a 1998-99 Primetime Emmy as Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series for his performances as Anderson Pearson, a law professor accused of murder, in "The Practice."  He received a 1976 Tony Award for his role as Frank Gardner in a revival of George Bernard Shaw's "Mrs. Warren's Profession." His award was for Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Play.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-edward-herrmann-20150101-story.html

• Like 1

Sad news! He was recently the voice of F.D.R. in Ken Burns' brilliant documentary The Roosevelts: An Intimate History.  One of my favorite of his screen roles was as Max Eastman inn Reds (1981). He has been taken from us far too soon.

• Like 1

Oddly enough, I was watching THE PAPER CHASE (1973) on TCM this morning, a film in which Hermann has a supporting role. That film was aired in honor of cinematographer Gordon Willis as part of TCM's 'In Memoriam' programming. How coincidental, then, that Edward Hermann should have died today.

• Like 2

Emmy and Tony Award-winning actor Edward Herrmann has died at the age of 71. He probably was best known for his role as patriarch Richard Gilmore on the TV series "Gilmore Girls" (2000-2007) and for his portrayals of Franklin Delano Roosevelt in the TV movies "Eleanor and Franklin" (1976) and "Eleanor and Franklin: The White House Years" (1977). 

Herrmann reprised the role of FDR in John Huston's 1982 screen version of the Broadway musical "Annie." And he was the voice of the 32nd president for Ken Burns' acclaimed 2014 documentary "The Roosevelts: An Intimate History." Meryl Streep provided the voice of Eleanor Roosevelt. The narrator was Peter Coyote.

Herrmann won a 1998-99 Primetime Emmy as Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series for his performances as Anderson Pearson, a law professor accused of murder, in "The Practice."  He received a 1976 Tony Award for his role as Frank Gardner in a revival of George Bernard Shaw's "Mrs. Warren's Profession." His award was for Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Play.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/12/31/edward-herrmann-dead-gilmore-girls/

What a shame. 71 is no age at all.

And he was the voice of the 32nd president for Ken Burns' acclaimed 2014 documentary "The Roosevelts: An Intimate History." 

And he did an outstanding job.

Like Philip Seymour Hoffman, I will miss Edward Herrmann.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/12/31/edward-herrmann-dead-gilmore-girls/

He did the old Dodge car commercials and was in an episode of MASH "Heal Thyself" as Steven J. Newsome.

tve7891-817-207.jpg

This made me sad. I am a big Gilmore Girls fan and have always held out hope for a reunion show...it was always a futile hope, but now? 

He had a great voice and did a lot of voiceovers for the History Channel and, in an odd case of casting against type, was the head vampire in The Lost Boys.

(BTW am I the only person who wonders what the heck they tell the insurance companies in cases like this? LOL)

• Like 1

"Tofutti, To-fuuuu-ti, ah, Toffutti....where are you when I need you? Tofutti Klein-Dine-Dine-Dine-Dine."

(Herrman as "Grant Staton" in Overboard (1987.) )

Honest to God, I chant that to myself so many times a week....The man could just take a throwaway line or a thankless role or an itty bitty bit part and do something with it that would latch on to you forever.

Such a good actor, such a great voice. 

ps- seriously, f*** autocorrect right in the ear.

• Like 1

"Tofutti, To-fuuuu-ti, ah, Toffutti....where are you when I need you? Tofutti Klein-Dine-Dine-Dine-Dine."

Honest to God, I chant that to myself so many times a week....The man could just take a throwaway line or a thankless role or an itty bitty bit part and do something with it that would latch on to you forever.

Try using a foreign language equivalent.  I got a kick out of the Russian translation for shield.

• Like 1

You are my new hero.

I'm sorry to see this as well as the notice about Donna Douglas.  His voice was made for those History Channel documentaries and delightful car series.  It's nice to know he was such a classy man off-screen as well.

He also did a comedy-drama for Disney with Susan Clark and Karen Valentine, The North Avenue Irregulars, which showed his versatility.  Joan Blondell and Cloris Leachman are also in it so he was shining with some real pros. I'll miss him.  

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings