Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuzanneG

Trouble viewing on demand ( charter)- any ideas?

Hi,

I've been watching tcm on demand for months now and am having problems just recently. Charter is my provider and I use Google Chrome.  When I click on movies on demand I get a mostly black screen with the upper icons denoting the categories of films ( like Cary Grant..... Christmas .... Robert Osborne picks.... etc) but the movies aren't showing up. Sometimes( rare) if I clear my history I can get the movies to show up but when I click on a movie it goes to a blackish screen that shows nothing though I can tell the webpage is still under there somewhere.

I'm guessing a could try another browser. I have run malwarebytes, avg scan just to rule out issues and I can livestream movies from youtube. Any ideas? Thank you and Happy New Year!

I've been experiencing much of the same on Verizon Fios. In fact it has been unwatchable most of the day. It seems to happen from time to time. I get the feeling that they are either experiencing too much traffic for their bandwidth, or they are doing work on the servers -- probably the former.

It gets pretty danged frustrating at times.

Thanks for the reports.   Which browser are each of you using?   Have you tried a different browser to see if you are getting the same issues?

I have both IE 9 and Firefox n-1. When the probelm happens, it happens on both browsers. On Firefox, it has happened over multiple versions. Also, when it happens, I have closed everything so that TCM is the only thing I have open in the browser, and the only thing I have running on the PC, but the problem is still there. I've even tried rebooting, to no avail.

When this has happened In the past, the problem has eventually gone away. But then it will return after a few days or weeks.

I've tried it several times today. Sometimes it will load the whole page, but when I click on a movie, it won't load. Sometimes it won't load the whole page, but what formatting there may be is correct:

GKpNHVa.jpg

Sometimes the formatting isn't correct.

Sometimes the page won't load at all, ping requests will timeout:

Pinging tcm.com [157.166.248.215] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 157.166.248.215:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

and I'll get the following message:

quZvQEc.jpg

I haven't been able to watch anything on TCM On Demand for almost two days.

I've been having the same issues (Comcast, Firefox 34.0, San Jose, CA, area) for about 2 weeks. Daytime viewing of movies usually works, but in the evenings it is nearly impossible to get any movie to start, pages load only partially, and it is common to get the "Service Temporarily Unavailable" error. I suspect the streaming service has become more popular than TCM anticipated...

Thank you very much for the specifics you all have given.  Our dev team is currently looking into why this is occurring.

Once we have an update, we will post here.

And if anyone has screenshots from today showing the issue that they can provide that would help our tech team as the issue seemed to be intermittent before today (and we are unable to reproduce it now).  

Thank you very much for the specifics you all have given.  Our dev team is currently looking into why this is occurring.

Once we have an update, we will post here.

And if anyone has screenshots from today showing the issue that they can provide that would help our tech team as the issue seemed to be intermittent before today (and we are unable to reproduce it now).  

Thanks. It seems to be working right now. However, as I mentioned, the problem has recurred intermittently. Please check back here from time to time. I'll keep you updated on any problems, or let you know if it is still working OK.

I have over 10 years in infrastructure support, server and network, and just as much in desktop support. If there is anything I can do from my side to help you diagnose the problem, let me know.

Tried to watch a movie just now, and this is what I got:

PFnPBE4.jpg

And this:

XIufOr5.jpg

In addition to the other things I mentioned below (see screenshots), including the 503, "Service Temporarily Unavailable" page.

I would post additional screen captures, but I am seeing results exactly like Notan has already posted: the 503 errors are the most severe, but the movie selection page often loads only partially. This definitely feels like server-side or routing problems, as all my other web browser connections, and Flash playback tests, show no errors. Thanks.

Didn't have any troubles with it today. Everything loaded fine, on the first try (at least so far).

Today, for the first time, when I watch on demand movies I get image stuttering.  The sound is continuous but the images move, then stop, then move then stop, making it impossible to watch. I'm connectied through comcast xfinity.  I'd appreciate it if TCM tech people could check into this as a lot of films I want to watch are expiring tomorrow.  Thanks

Hi cate_camm,

Is this still happening?  If so, what browser and version are you using to try and view the movies?  And finally, is this happening on anything you watch, or is it only with specific movies?

This does still happen occasionally, but more often what happens is that every other minute (or so it seems) the film freezes and I have to rewind a bit to get it to run again.  Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't.  It's become so constant and so awful, that I have stopped watching movies on demand for the most part.  And then there is the occasional screen going black and being unable to restart at all.  I have to close out the tcm website and come back in again to get the movie to stream.  It's all just too frustrating.

And it *is* the fault of tcm.  I watched Saving Private Ryan last night on amazon instant video and not one problem with the streaming occurred.  Same thing with movies on youtube: no problems with streaming.

Obviously, thousands of other viewers are having the same problems, since people who actually write complaints represent a very small percentage of the population who are having the problem.  The question is what is tcm going to do about it?  If you can't support a streaming service, don't have one is what I say.  When you promise something and then there are nothing but headaches when a lot of people try to use it, you are going to really alienate viewers in this case.

Same thing with advertising a "support" function and having none. If there's no tech support, just say so.  It's way better to be honest about it.

Oh and as for the specifics of my viewing, I hardly think it matters since these problems are occuring across the board, according to the forum posts.  But for statistical purposes: Macbook OS X 10.10 yosemite, comcast xfinity, firefox most recent version.